TN permit holders vs those who actually carry

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a permit (recently obtained) and rarely carry. My reasons for not regularly carrying echo others already posted in this thread: my employer prohibits weapons on their property, including parking lots, so I can't carry during the work week. I am law-abiding by nature and that includes rules that you could probably break and get away with, so I adhere to their policy.

I don't get out a lot on weekends, maybe a few errands here and there, and I don't tend to frequent high-risk areas. If I do get out with the wife for a weekend lunch or dinner, I might want to have a beer or glass of wine so that would also stop me from carrying. So the occasions when I can legally carry are relatively few. I haven't purchased a car gun-safe yet so I'm not comfortable leaving a weapon in a car to be stolen, in case I needed to leave it behind if I went somewhere that was posted as a no-gun zone.

I got the permit so that I would have the option to carry or not, as I felt the need. Without the permit there's no option. And to be completely honest I'm just not that afraid. Perhaps I'm in some form of denial or a false sense of security, but the risk of being a random victim of a violent crime is really pretty low for me, compared to some of the more real risks that we all face every day. I've lived in Memphis as an adult over 30 years and have never been in a situation as a private citizen where having a gun outside of my home would have been a benefit to me.

However, I do have concerns about how things may change over the next several years as the longer-term effects of a high unemployment rate, reduced state and local tax revenues, and expiring federal bailout money starts to really sink in, so I wanted to be prepared in advance.

So at some point I may start carrying every day, but that time isn't here for me yet. But I got the permit early so that when (if) that day comes I'm prepared for it.

My wife has had her permit for years, I think she got it when they first came out, but she never carries either unless I remind her to. I think her reason is that her gun which she loves and is deadly accurate with is just too big and heavy to figure out how to carry with her, except for occasional car carry. S&W model 66 2 1/2" k-frame revolver.

So that's two of us with permits who rarely carry. But it's good to have the option if we so choose. The permit is essentially the ability to choose.

I agree that permit holders not being aware of the current laws is disturbing. Then again, if these people aren’t actually carrying than I suppose it’s a moot point.

I also subscribe to the thought that no only do good people have a right to be armed; they have a societal obligation to do so for the greater good of society. How many horrible incidents of criminal gun violence might have been stopped completely or at least cut short by one good person with a firearm!

As for me, I have at last one weapon with me everywhere that it is legally permitted either on me directly or off-body (depending on circumstances and what weapon I’m carrying). Unfortunately, there is a lot of my time that I cannot carry because my employer, by policy, doesn’t allow firearms on the property; even in the employee parking lot secured in a safe in the vehicle (something I hope we can change soon by legislation).

That said, I’m not sure that a HCP holder not carrying is a problem…after all, having the right to be armed and even having a state issued permit to be armed is not a requirement to be armed. I know I’m stating the obvious here but making those kind of choices for ourselves is part of what a free society is all about isn’t it? :)

The only responses that have surprised me so far are those that say they don't visit high risk areas....I think we would all agree that it can happen anywhere anytime.

I bet the cashier at S&S cafeteria didn't think he was at a high risk area. Along with the kids at Virginia Tech, my friend that was just murdered in a retirement community last week.......the list goes on.

I understand there is a difference from being in downtown Memphis vs getting gas at BP in West Knoxville. I realize these are much different risk levels but there are too many crimes committed in "good neighborhoods" for me to leave my gun at home. YMMV

All three family members here are permitted.

So we carry, when and where legal. I don't always have my favorite with me, but I have something that goes "bang" (depending on attire, where I'm going and what I'm doing). Part of a philosophy, I guess, kind of like the old boy scout motto, "Be Prepared." I have a gun, a knife, and "emergency" cash on my person. I keep jumper cables and a fire extinguisher in my vehicle, and fire extinguishers at home and in the shop. I know that we can't always be prepared in every situation, and we can't account for every eventuality. But I try.

I've seen some bad stuff, so I figure better safe than sorry, and I guess that attitude has infected by family as well.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I am actually kind of amazed at the number here that have said they do not carry regularly.

I certainly do respect your choices and fully understand the workplace stuff, yet I am still kinda startled at the numbers.

For me it was a loooong process to gain the mindset that I was no longer 21 and a bad A$$ with my hands and feet. I was probably never as Bad as I thought I was but I was quite proficient. But once the decision was made it was a complete 180 for me.

I never ever leave home with out at least my 17+1 and 17 more (9's). At least half of the time I also have a 380 in my pocket with an extra mag and on longer trips such as from here to Memphis I will have one in my belly band, one in my pocket and another 9 in a holster I rigged up in my van, all with spare mags.

When I am at home I keep at least one weapon within reach at ALL times (mostly two) including taking it to the restroom with me. I also take it with me when I shower and keep it under a spare towel within reach from the shower.

I will keep it within reach during the day but as evening approaches it goes back on my hip if it isnt already there. I live on a heavily traveled road and the front door is open to the glass door as much as possible.

It has been awhile now but there were quite a lot of home invasions in the area, several of the houses I can see from mine. Daytime, nighttime people home or not, the thugs did not care. I wont take the chance of being in the restroom or kitchen and have some goon pop thru the door and expect to have the time to retrieve a weapon.

With thousands of cars passing by daily it could happen any time very quickly without any notice.

So, Always, Everyday and Everywhere legal, I avoid places as much as I can that are not legal to carry.

I am also only guessing (hoping) but I think it would be closer to 50% of those with permits would carry always. It does not bother me if others do not carry, it would bother me it I didnt.

HAVE PERMIT....WILL CARRY:)

Hey, Joe?

Wait, WAIT, WAIT! From all our learned fellows on TGO, I've begun to believe all the crime in TN ONLY happens in Memphis. How is possible to see crime in Jackson?

Guest Sgt. Joe
Hey, Joe?

Wait, WAIT, WAIT! From all our learned fellows on TGO, I've begun to believe all the crime in TN ONLY happens in Memphis. How is possible to see crime in Jackson?

Come on over, I'll show ya the many Hoods......where do you think the Memphis punks come to lay low when they are Hot?

And you know these wanna be's here are doing all they can to copy everything they learn from Memphis anyway.

We make the top 20 for violent crime when per capita stats are issued too ya know. Heck One year Memphis was #1 and we were #10, the next Memphis was #2 and we were #13.

I do give our local LEA's credit though.....it has been a slow year and we might not make such a high ranking this year.

It is just too bad there is no open season on thugs, I could score big, then again so could you;)

When I got my permit I only got it because my work sometimes sends me to ask tough questions to difficult people in parts of town I wouldn't normally travel to. Since I've had my permit, however, I carry almost everywhere it's legal.

this is excellent

Hey, Joe?

There are gnarly places everywhere in the state. Memphis probably has more than their share, but there are parts of Nashville that are real scary. Jackson too.

Have had my permit about a year but am just now really getting serious about carrying it. Lots of robbery happening around the area and it's opened my eyes. The wife is taking the class Oct. 19th!! and can't wait. Just a bit of info on my part: the main reason I didn't carry everyday was because I couldn't find a reasonably priced holster to really conceal my weapon. Turns out the best bet so far is a $12 universal IWB. haha. Looking at a crossbreed though.

This surprises me.. I would have thought that after going through the trouble and expense to get a permit, most people would actually carry. I can't carry at work or keep it in my car, so I don't, but that's the only place I'll go unarmed any more.

I'm pretty sure a large majority of permit holders get a permit so they can carry a gun when they are going somewhere they think they need it and no other time. When I was an active instructor, I heard this literally hundreds and hundreds of times.

When I got my permit I only got it because my work sometimes sends me to ask tough questions to difficult people in parts of town I wouldn't normally travel to. Since I've had my permit, however, I carry almost everywhere it's legal.

Like he said, but in addition to criminal work I also do some domestic as well. I've found that some people like to blame the lawyer for their problems and sometimes do stupid things like come to your home or office threatening to kill you or family members. Hence my desire to carry. When I practiced in Indiana a former LEO threatened me and was observed outside my house and later arrested with a pistol and a shotgun. When he was to be released on bond the judge explained that he'd given me a license to kill him if he came near me or my family again. I've carried a gun.

i carry pretty much all the time. My wife doesn't. She got her permit when i did for a number of reasons. Because she has her permit, i can toss my g26 in her purse if we have to go somewhere that carry on my person isn't possible. Plus, if she is in the car waiting on me to run in somewhere that i can't carry....i don't have to worry about it being in violation of the law. In addition to all that, she has a understanding of the laws and a basic knowledge of handgun operation.

reasons to not carry, let me list them.

1. no way to secure the gun when you are going somewhere you cannot carry.

2. There are no other reasons.

Only need to list one reason to carry.

1. You cannot predict when the bad guys will come calling.

Get the lady to go shooting with you. Take her where you can shoot clay pigeons (lying on the berm) with a 22 pistola.

Amazing what 50-100 rounds shot like that will do with the attitude of a non-shooter.

little holes in a black or white circle on a piece of paper are boring to them but the near misses and hits on the pigeons are a whole nother story.

'Ill post separately to answer the original posters questions from my viewpoint.

Reason for getting the permit, how often do I carry . . .

First a place I go by myself has some separate violations if one is caught carrying, UNLESS they posses a valid HCP and it is becoming less safe.

I can now carry in most states I plan to visit and carry within their constraints. Any state where I am not welcome carrying does NOT deserve to receive any of my money and I can vacation many places. Just like picking an eating establishment.

Carry since receiving the permit, I have, but it was based on a particular need or possible need, not an every day carry decision.

My carry mindset will change somewhat when I get a carry firearm I like to carry/is easy to carry.

Edited by TCLouis

If I'm wearing pants, I'm wearing a gun....end of story. Long gone are the days of "good and bad" areas. I don't leave my survival up to chance. I might not ever need to defend myself with a gun, but if that day ever comes I don't want to be without the tools I need to solve the problem.