Chevy Asto Van dying, solutions needed

Our 1994 or 1995 Astro is on it's last legs. The transmission is slipping. I think the best option is to sell it for parts to a junk yard or similar but have never done this. Obviously I have a clear title and no payments so anything I can recoup from getting rid of it would be a nice bonus.

So, anyone need parts for this era van? Know of a junkyard that will buy it in the middle TN area (56Fordguy, your area of expertise here?)

Engine is running but my son had to park it in a store parking lot after making it in a town tonight. Wife and I went and got it a bit ago and it's at the house but it's toast. When the service engine light came on a few months back, we had the codes checked and all it will say is transmission part slipping. Tech said it was iffy on a rebuild for such a low value vehicle so we have just been using it for local runs. It might be something one of you shade tree guys knows what to do to make it usable again. Engine is tight. Neither the engine or tranny are leaking any fluids.

Thoughts and suggestions from the TGO crew?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although it would be enjoyable, I would prefer other solutions that might actually see me get a little something of cash value for the vehicle. If it was a van, I would probably look for a used tranny and put it in. The way these things are wedged in there, I don't want to think about messing with it. Even the metal value would be a plus at this point.

Only if there are no other options AND I can leave it where I start shooting it.

Tannerite might come into the equation at that point.

Shoot it, drag it up on a trailer and haul it in for scrap. :)

So, anyone need parts for this era van? Know of a junkyard that will buy it in the middle TN area (56Fordguy, your area of expertise here?)

What's that supposed to mean?

If you just want to dispose of it, I'd put it up on Craigslist for a few hundred bucks. You could also do like someone else suggested and call Pull A Part over in west Nashville, I believe they buy complete vehicles. I'd shop it around to different scrapyards, see who'll give you the best offer and what they require. Some require the fuel tank be punctured before they'll purchase it, which could mean it has to be trailered in. Some will buy complete vehicles.

I'll PM you.

Guest Lester Weevils

For curiosity, Rightwinger-- How many miles did it take to kill your Astro?

I don't hardly drive, and have a 93 astro with only about 75,000 miles on it. It still runs good and has only required minor maintenance. If Chevy still made Astro's I'd buy a new one. Been looking at new replacements, but haven't so far found a new vehicle I really like enough to pay $20,000+ for.

Was thinking about just running this thing into the ground, maybe try to get more years out of it since I like it as good as anything else I see new on the market. But am wondering if it really makes sense to even put new tires on it. Since the book value is probably below $1000, even new tires would be a substantial percentage of the entire vehicle's value! :)

I haven't really been involved in the life of this vehicle. I never drive it. I know it's well over 100, 000 miles. I did drive Astro's as part of my work in the 90's and early 00's and other than wearing the crap out of front brake rotors, they are very reliable vehicles. I just found out it's a 96.

If your's is running good, tires to keep on going would be a good idea. I don't have any car payments on three vehicles and it's a freedom that most American's have forgotten as well as being able to freely move around with a firearm and not be looked at as a crazy radical.

Now to save up and help or find the boy a reliable car to make the run to Nashville from Westmoreland daily so he doesn't have to borrow his grandmother's car every day.

Guest rockbottom12

dad had an astro that he drove till it was almost shot and another guy drove it twice as long. i know this is a long shot. but for 30 dollars you can buy a few bottles of lucas, drain and replace all the transmission fluid. This is not a fix to last another 100,000 but maybe another 20,000 who knows. infact that is what we did to the astro we had. worst case you are out $30 or something.

Right now the Pull a Part in Knoxville is paying $10 for every hundred pounds, which is the higest ive seen in the 2 years ive been going there. Id assume nashville will have a similar price.

And they do buy complete vehicles, and i believe they drain everything themselves. (I would call to be sure though)

Guest mustangdave
Although it would be enjoyable, I would prefer other solutions that might actually see me get a little something of cash value for the vehicle. If it was a van, I would probably look for a used tranny and put it in. The way these things are wedged in there, I don't want to think about messing with it. Even the metal value would be a plus at this point.

Along the line of a couple other comments...CHARGE others to SHOOT it...set up a mock scenario...terrorist hostage situation...bank robbery get away vehicle...something like that...and charge folks $10-15 to blast away...that way you make some GREEN...and get rid of the van

If everybody liked the van, I would look for a used transmission as mentioned above. I'll bet a used transmission would be cheaper than buying another used car. That would also allow for some "shade tree" disassembly of the original transmission. I'll bet the bands are just worn out, which is the part that is suppost to wear out, and replacing them would have you running like new.

Guest Lester Weevils

Guess Chevy wasn't selling enough astros or they wouldn't have quit making them, but it seems almost the ideal sized van. I can get a full sheet of plywood in the thing if need be, but it is smaller and more maneuverable than a full size van.

It doesn't have a center console and I never have the back seats installed, so the dawgs get a nice roomy place to ride, and a dawg can easily walk up between the seats to supervise my driving or sit in the passenger seat.

If I get another vehicle, most modern small vans, SUV's, jeeps, etc have center consoles and so the dawgs would just walk all over the console to go between front and back. And hardly any modern small vans or SUV's are friendly to a full sheet of plywood.

The Ford Connect van looks cute, but it sits too low on the road for my taste.

The only two things I don't like about the Astro-- You have to drive with the left foot propped up on the wheel well, and the suspension rides rough as a buckboard. Shame they don't make em any more.

If everybody liked the van, I would look for a used transmission as mentioned above. I'll bet a used transmission would be cheaper than buying another used car. That would also allow for some "shade tree" disassembly of the original transmission. I'll bet the bands are just worn out, which is the part that is suppost to wear out, and replacing them would have you running like new.

No time or knowledge in that field of mechanics. Plus work two jobs now, seven days a week. Going into winter, the timing for everything involved in repairing it just won't fit. I'll sell it to anyone here for 400 bucks and that person can take the chance on getting a reliable van. I just don't have time. I'll probably have to take a day off from one or both the jobs just to haul it to Pull A Part if they ever get back to me.

I just got home from job 1 and since I'm off from job 2 tonight, I have to change the anti freeze in wifes car, replace one of the bolts on the toilet so I gotta run to get that and a wax seal, build a duck house (yeah, ducks...sheesh), feed said ducks since the kid that owns them decided to go to grandpa's house this afternoon. I'm procrastinating right now cuz it just keeps getting bigger everytime I look out at what's needing to get done! Meh.

Edited by Rightwinger