Private Ranges? Near Nashville

1911kevin

After another extremely dangerous outing to the Cheatham TWRA range I've decided I'm not going back, it's just not worth the risk. I appreciate that they have made that range available to the public but without some oversight I really think someone is going to die there very soon. Every time I've been there I get swept, many do not know basic safety or gun handling skills and there is almost no range etiquette. After watching a guy shooting with his kids ignore the HOT/COLD range calls twice, once putting a round downrange when someone was posting a target, and then watching him laugh while insincerely apologizing I just can't deal with the stupidity anymore. Done. I will weep when his poor children shoot themselves or someone else because their father was too ignorant or stupid to teach them correctly but I can't share a range with them anymore.

I've spent a few hours today looking for other options like CHMR which looks promising and seeing that the Gallatin Gun Club is not taking new members I even started looking at buying land for the lone purpose of shooting practice. I've called my real estate agent and told him to start looking, no rush. I even started looking for private hunting clubs and I don't hunt! While searching these forums I found several mentions of private ranges which were kind of cryptic and never followed up on when others inquired, not publicly anyway. Are people just referring to the Gallatin Club or are there others out there that anyone would be willing to share with me via private message? I'm a lifelong competitive shooter for rifle (High Power, CMP) and pistol (USPSA (RO certified but expired-will rectify), IDPA) and I'm starting in with the shotgun since there seems to be a really nice Trap and Skeet club very close to Nashville. I'm a professional working in Nashville and I'd be happy to supply references and other info if such a opportunity exists. I just want to shoot and be in a safe environment and I'm willing to pay for the opportunity.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

davidson county sportsmens club .nice range low membership 225 it is closed but the waiting list is only about 10 due to people not paying dues or passing on about 10 to 15 get in each year.have been trying to increas membership but its like butting heads .nice range 277 yards have it to yourself most of the time. if you like i can take you over there during the week as i just had to take my disablaty at work .to join you have to go to a meeting 2 tuesday of month at 630 pm its on eatons creek road about 3 miles north of hwy 12 give me a call if you like 615-497-4205 david

You might try Charlie Haffner's, 2795 Owl Hollow Road, Franklin, TN. It's not exactly private, but people there do a much better job of policing themselves and each other. Just about everybody there is a gun enthusiast, not just a gun owner. $5/visit or $40/year.

Every so often, Gallatin Gun Club opens up their membership. Watch the website early next year, they may have some spots available. There membership is limited due to their lease arrangement with TVA - who owns the land the range is on.

However, not often.

Guest RISC777

If the drive isn't too bad or long for you, Charlie's "Owl Hollow Gun Club" is not bad. I haven't ever been able to map by address (though I have lat. and long. for it), but if you get onto Owl Hollow Road from Hwy 431 you can't miss it. Closed first weekend of every month, but otherwise it's open seven days a week.

Is TRWA range on Hobson Pike in Davison county any better?

If you're a safety-conscious shooter, and it's not crowded, the Stones River facility is fine. If you aren't safety-conscious fix that **** now. If it's crowded, you'll probably prefer another venue.

Like a couple others, I shoot at CHMR (Charlie Haffner's place as referenced by lagerhead and RISC77), having "graduated" from Stones River to someplace better. The retard factor is greatly reduced at CHMR, and the unsafe n00b factor is 0% - you don't find out about the place unless you're really into shooting, or with somebody who is. Also, you can't beat the atmosphere or the price, and Charlie himself is a fine old fella, who has forgotten more about shooting than most of us will ever know. If you're the type who cares about the presence of RSOs one way or the other, note that there are none; shooters are required to maintain proper safety practices themselves.

Edited by StPatrick

I'm lucky enough to have 115 acres outside of Franklin, TN. Me and some friends were there last weekend doing quite a bit of shooting. Nothing like having a truely "private" range to go to. There's a place in Norris, TN near Knoxville that I usually shoot at because its pretty good and for the most part people are pretty responsible. I don't go on Saturday's though because it's too crowded. I have heard of people shooting at the 50 yard target while people were hanging targets down range, however the worst I've seen is a guy going out in front of the line to reset a target on the ground, and some guy with an AK shooting the target backstop posts.

I would love to organize a TGO shoot there on my land, but is jointly owned with some of my aunts and uncles, and due to the liability issue I just can't bring people out there that I don't trust not to sue me...lol If I can get an insurance policy put together and have people fill out waivers I might be able to do it someday, but for now I only have people out there that I grew up with and trust not to come after me if there is an accident.

Edited by Kenstaroni
Website says they are out of biz? Are they open?

They are open. Nice place. I see a lot of guys sitting around talking and not much shooting some days. Everyone is pretty freindly. For $40 bucks a year you can't beat it.

Charlie's is the only place my friends and I shoot anymore. The place is laid back... Charlie is a great guy that provides all sorts of extras he really doesn't have to (Low end spotting scopes sitting around.. glasses to borrow... foam disposable ear buds if you need them [new in the package].. etc)... If anyone is reading this that doesn't know.. Charlie's is the place to be... Ask nice and he might show you where he keeps the clay throwers.