Need winter coat recommendations

Erik88

I know it's just now fall but there are a lot of great sales right now and I need a WARM winter coat. I have plenty of light fall coats but none are warm enough for this coming winter.

I've been looking at North Face coats but they have a million models to choose from and they are expensive even on sale.

I tried on a few Carhartt coats and the zippers were horrible.

Again, this needs to be warm enough for this winter but not so I look like the kid on the Christmas Story.

Not so bulky I can't move my arms.

Autographed%20Randy_Snowsuit.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

I still wear and like just fine an Army field jacket with the liner. You can probably pick one up cheap at any surplus store. Not exactly pretty nor original but they do keep one warm, which is the goal.

Just an opinion that is worth the price;):)

I have a wool peacoat i used once and didnt like it. its navy and in size large. its yours if you want it

I appreciate the offer friend but I am a tiny tiny little man. :) no way I could wear a large.

don't let my profile picture fool you :)

I still wear and like just fine an Army field jacket with the liner. You can probably pick one up cheap at any surplus store. Not exactly pretty nor original but they do keep one warm, which is the goal.

Just an opinion that is worth the price;):)

Good suggestion but I was hoping for something water resistant! Thanks though SIR :)

For overall quality North Face is hard to beat. Columbia makes some good stuff too but it is also expensive, though not quite as much as North Face. Watch sales at Academy and you can find some Columbia gear at pretty good prices. Of course their prices are best in the spring. My advice would be to get something on the thinner side that you can wear by itself in cool weather and wear layers underneath it in the cold weather. That way you stay warm and you get a lot more mileage out of your jacket.

Guest KimberChick

www.moosejaw.com

Check their outlet section out, especially if you are on the smaller side. You can find some nice stuff for fairly cheap if you aren't super picky about color too. Mountain Hardwear is nice, most of their stuff is windproof.

For overall quality North Face is hard to beat. Columbia makes some good stuff too but it is also expensive, though not quite as much as North Face. Watch sales at Academy and you can find some Columbia gear at pretty good prices. Of course their prices are best in the spring. My advice would be to get something on the thinner side that you can wear by itself in cool weather and wear layers underneath it in the cold weather. That way you stay warm and you get a lot more mileage out of your jacket.

I wish we had an Academy up here. I do have a Columbia coat thats great for fall but it's not quite warm enough for winter. I have plenty of thin coats for the fall but none that are warm enough for winter. Thanks for your help though!

• Admin Team

North Face makes some great stuff, but generally their shells are just that - shells. I'm pretty skinny, and if I wore just my gore-tex shell in the winter, it would be a good thing my shell is yellow - because it would make it easier to find my body to recover.

If you've already got a lighter shell of some type - you didn't mention what type of fall jackets you've got - one option would be to layer it with a down vest. Again North Face makes a great one, but REI's house brand is pretty good for about a third of the cost. One of my friends just got a super light down vest from LL Bean for pretty cheap as well.

If I'm in the field, then I love technical fabrics in layers. For running around town and daily stuff, it's hard to beat a good peacoat.

Since you are in Knoxville you should check out Mast General Store. I know what you're thinking... That's a semi-trendy, over-priced touristy place... Believe it or not they actually have manufacturer sample sales in from time to time. About 2 years ago someone tipped off my wife and I got a really nice Mountain Hardwear jacket with a zip-out liner at 50% off and got a great deal on a vest for the wife. They had a selection of Columbia, North Face, and Mountain Hardwear. I also have a really puffy down North Face jacket that I got on Ebay when I was in law school (read broke). It is a little warmer but I'm actually doing anything active I prefer the MH with a thin wool sweater underneath. It is comfortable in a surprisingly wide temperature range. You may want to ask the employees about the manufactur sample sales. I think they do them once or twice a year.

You may also check out Campmor and Sierra Trading Post. They often have discontinued styles of North Face, Mountain Hardwear, and Columbia.

Edited by JReedEsq
new thought.
Guest Sgt. Joe
Good suggestion but I was hoping for something water resistant! Thanks though SIR :)

Well they are water resistant, and they do have a small size but I dont know about TINY.....KID:p

I appreciate the offer friend but I am a tiny tiny little man. :) no way I could wear a large.

be honest now, you are more girlie than a tiny man.

Seriously you must be. Last time I needed a winter coat I went to Tractor Supply and picked one out. Took all of two minutes.

And Knoxville really does not have winter anyway.

Guest FroggyOne2

Well I have several.. Field Jackets, dress up coats, casual coats.. but my fave is this one.. still after all these years.. I still use it often.

CameraPictures006.jpg