Hammer vs Hammerless Revolvers

Glock30

What is your choice in revolver?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. What is your choice in revolver?

Guest Lester Weevils

Maybe S&W 649 would be "best of both worlds" in a snubbie? The bobbed hammer is flush and isn't likely to hang on clothing, but it is easy to cock with the thumb. I liked my 649 great except I couldn't shoot the short barrel worth beans, never could see the sights very well, and the older I got the worse it hurt to shoot it. Put crimson trace laser grips on it, but for me the laser dot didn't really improve matters much.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I rarely carry a revolver, so my opinion is restricted to range use; and I prefer one with a hammer. Also, I just picked up a couple of used wheel guns--a 637 and a Colt Agent. Both have hammers and are sweet shooters. FYI--so far, I like the 637 better. Just my personal taste.

Guest mmarcum

The question is does it really matter? If you are on the recieving end I say no! If you are on the dealing end I say what ever is in your hand is the best tool for the job.

I voted no preference for one reason. I carry both depending on my clothing and where I will be carrying. I'm just as comfortable either way.

I sometimes carry a Chief's Special 3" with a hammer. I like the option of going to single action and making an accurate shot. The hammer catching on ones clothing is a big concern so if you carry a hammer, you must practice. That goes with any handgun you carry but practice you must.

Guest oldsmobile98

I have a S&W 620 with an external hammer. I like it. But I can understand why you would want an internal hammer on a carry J-frame.

For you hammerless people out there ... how do you actuate the firing pin? :(

Guest zj318guy

Voted hammerless, I regularly carry a bobbed Sp-101 iwb and I wanted to do so without risk of snagging or the hammer digging into my side when I bend/move. Definitely hammer if you're going to get a full sized revolver for range/hunting though.