post office carry?

I know some of you guys will be able to help me out here. My wife says we can't carry in our local post office so when I had to ship something via postal this weekend, I disarmed before going in. However, I searched and searched and found no posting or legal warning anywhere in or on the building. This left me with the impression that I did not have to disarm. I just looked over the prohibited carry locations in the state code as posted on this forum and didn't see anything about post offices. Can someone help me out here so I don't get into trouble? :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post offices are federal property and do not need the postings.

Federal statute says they DO need the postings. Indeed it states that you cannot be convicted if the postings are NOT there.

"(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (B) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each

Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court

facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if

such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection(a) or (e), as the case

may be."

(a is carry in fed facility, b is use of firearm to commit crime in building, e is carry in fed court)

- OS

The only postings I've ever seen at the offices around here are the Sentence signs for robbery or assault of a postal worker. Nothing about no carry in the office itself.

Mike

Then according the law as I read it, you couldn't be convicted of it.

- OS

Federal statute says they DO need the postings. Indeed it states that you cannot be convicted if the postings are NOT there.

"(h) Notice of the provisions of subsections (a) and (B) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each

Federal facility, and notice of subsection (e) shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal court

facility, and no person shall be convicted of an offense under subsection (a) or (e) with respect to a Federal facility if

such notice is not so posted at such facility, unless such person had actual notice of subsection(a) or (e), as the case

may be."

(a is carry in fed facility, b is use of firearm to commit crime in building, e is carry in fed court)

- OS

So what you are saying is that since my post office is not posted until right before you go into the "retail" area, then it's ok to carry checking my mail as long as I don't have to deal with any PO employees?

So what you are saying is that since my post office is not posted until right before you go into the "retail" area, then it's ok to carry checking my mail as long as I don't have to deal with any PO employees?

Well, I'm not advocating anything -- just quoting the law.

According to it, it "shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility".

The PO I use all the time is not posted at all, so let's just say that I don't worry about what I may or may not have on my person when I frequent any part of it.

Again, what's this business about "loosing" all your guns if caught carrying in fed facility?

- OS

Well, I'm not advocating anything -- just quoting the law.

According to it, it "shall be posted conspicuously at each public entrance to each Federal facility".

The PO I use all the time is not posted at all, so let's just say that I don't worry about what I may or may not have on my person when I frequent any part of it.

Again, what's this business about "loosing" all your guns if caught carrying in fed facility?

- OS

Well if you get convicted of a felony, you loose all your rights. I just figured it was a felony, with all the hype and such.

All US Post Offices have a Poster 158 on the lobby bulletin board that explains that it's against the law ( 18 U.S.C. 930 ) to posses a firearm on it's premises.

Not mine, not until you get ready to go into the "retail" portion. Then it is posted on the wall just right of the door, but that's a good 45 feet into the building.

You can debate the legality of the location of the poster, but the end result is that it is posted and once you become aware of it, you should abide by it or be prepared to face whatever consequences occur. Personally, I don't carry in the Post Office. Nor do I expect my customers to either. I've worked for them the last 25 years ...

I'm not telling you to carry , or not to carry: use your own judgement.

Poster 158 - Possession of Fire Arms and Other Dangerous Weapons on Postal Service Property is Prohibited by Law

Guest Sgt. Joe
All US Post Offices have a Poster 158 on the lobby bulletin board that explains that it's against the law ( 18 U.S.C. 930 ) to posses a firearm on it's premises.

The one I use on University Pkwy. in Jackson is sure NOT posted, in fact the signs about robbing a Post Office or Postal employee only went up just recently. None the less I dont carry there and park across the street as I have always been under the impression that even the parking lots are prohibited.

I do think in light of the recent robbery (although not confirmed as such that I have heard) I think I am just going to go back to paying more for money orders at my credit union and avoid the PO completely. I use money orders to pay my rent and some other bills and always have a good amount of cash on me when I go there.

I figure if the thugs had the audacity to kill and probably rob at one PO that they will most likely do it again. No sense in pushing fate IMO.

YMMV

Guest Sgt. Joe
Sgt. Joe isn't that a metal detecter right inside the door of that PO.

If it is it dont work.:shrug:

I have forgotton my extra mag in my pocket at least once and it sure did not go off.:P:doh:

I have often wondered about it as it seems even my huge key ring would set it off but I have never heard it go off on anyone. I have been using that building since it was built.:shrug:

You have two different laws being quoted here.

United States Code (USC) and Code of Federal Regulations (CFR)

TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE, PART I – CRIMES, CHAPTER 44 – FIREARMS, Sec 930.

This is under Federal firearms laws and covers carrying in Federal building. If you were charged under it, it would require a posting.

39 CFR 232.1 This is specific to the Post Office and does not require posting if you are charged under it.

39 CFR 232.1 This is specific to the Post Office and does not require posting if you are charged under it.

"...fine of not more than $50 or imprisonment of not more than 30 days, or both."

Real wrist slapper compared to the Title 18 penalty.

- OS

Very misleading news story title, since the court did NOT rule on ban in public parking lots at all.

This is all about a USPS employee, on private employee lot, who appealed under 2nd Amendment basis.

Indeed, as story says, the "The Court did not indicate whether the Second Amendment would protect gun owners from prosecution if they possess a gun in the public areas of USPS property."

- OS