Allround .22 centerfire, opinions needed please!

Handsome Rob

Okay, I'm in the market for a bolt action, centerfire .22

I'm wanting it for target shooting/fun at the range, varmint hunting (out to 300yds) & possibly even deer hunting,

The options I'm considering are .22-250, .222, .223 or possibly a .204 Ruger (Not for deer)

I'm leaning heavily towards either a Savage or Remington 700.

I know that there's no 'perfect, do it all rifle' but I'm wanting the nearest thing I can get. I already have a .22 WMR, so the big rimmy can be discounted. I don't want a round that's going to vaporise a coyote either (which is my main concern with the .223 Anyone got any experiences?)

I have various rifles of different calibers which are great for either deer & target, but not varmint; varmint & target but not deer; or target but not deer or varmint. I'd like to whittle my safe down a little & standardise my ammo buying, if possible too.

Which would you choose & why?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 223, 22-250, and 204. All three are unique in their own way. I like to 204 for small varmints, and just the sheer speed. I like the 223 for all around use and easy access to ammo, but my favorite is my 22-250 (Remington 40-XB). It is a little more expensive to shoot, but if you reload, that shouldn't be a big issue. It shoots a little faster and flatter than a 223 at longer distances, which gives it more ballistic energy.

If you want the cheapest to shoot and easiest access to ammo, 223 all the way. If you want highest ballistic energy at distances, then 22-250. If you want super high speed, flat trajectories, then 204.

I don't think any of them will vaporize a coyote with the right bullet. In my opinion, any 22 is too small to deer hunt with to be humane, but that is my opinion.

Both of those options are fine. Savages aren't pretty, but the shoot great. A 700 is a 700. I would also consider the Browning x-bolt.

Many of us have already played this game. I would choose a .308, because it is in fact a “Perfect, Do it all†rifle caliber.

It is one of the most popular long range target calibers.

It will take anything you will hunt around here.

It will not vaporize a coyote.

.22’s are good for punching holes in paper.

But whether or not you should hunt deer with a .223 will always be good for a long drawn out discussion. I don’t hunt, but if I did I would not use it for the same reason I wouldn’t want a .223 for a service rifle; it isn’t a good round for a clean kill.

leaving.gif

Guest Aces&8s

Of the calibers listed, I would go with the 22-250. It's just a bit beefier to me, in general, with good ballistics. As others have said, though, I think it is a bit light for deer. Personally, I have fallen in love with the .243 of late. Applicable to any situation from varminting to whitetail, a lot of good loads available now, and if you reload, Speer makes some great 105 grain Hot-Cor bullets for deer, and that Hornady V-Max 58 grain bullet will literally vaporize a prairie dog. Haven't used it on coyotes, but I am sure there are load combinations that would not overly damage the pelts.

FWIW, I can recommend the Savage. I have one in .30-06, and it is a great rifle. Make sure you take a look at the accutrigger models, I love being able to adjust the pull so easily.

I agree with gtv about the .243, but that is not what you asked, and I'm pretty sure you already have that caliber based on your post.

I would go witht the .223. You can find plenty of affordable ammo for punching paper. For varmints, it's easily flat out to 300 and really retains enough energy out to 600. You can get 85gr ammo for deer, though it wouldn't be my choice for deer, it's the best of the 3 IMHO.

I have attached a link to the rifle I would purchase as well. I'm also a big believer in Savage witht accutrigger and I love a heavy barrel. Good luck with whatever you decide. Keep us updated.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78350

Edited by Rebels010
Added Link.
Of the calibers listed, I would go with the 22-250. It's just a bit beefier to me, in general, with good ballistics. As others have said, though, I think it is a bit light for deer. Personally, I have fallen in love with the .243 of late. Applicable to any situation from varminting to whitetail, a lot of good loads available now, and if you reload, Speer makes some great 105 grain Hot-Cor bullets for deer, and that Hornady V-Max 58 grain bullet will literally vaporize a prairie dog. Haven't used it on coyotes, but I am sure there are load combinations that would not overly damage the pelts.

FWIW, I can recommend the Savage. I have one in .30-06, and it is a great rifle. Make sure you take a look at the accutrigger models, I love being able to adjust the pull so easily.

The thruth! A .243 with 55gr varmint bullets reaches out past the 22-250. With heavier bullets, it will take the bigger game. I'm assuming you're not so concerned with ammo cost with a bolt gun. My .243 is a Browning X Bolt sporter. If I was gonna shoot small criiters at long range, I would most likely go with a Savage with varmint barrel and the accutrigger.

I've owned and varmit hunted with .222 Remington, 22-250 and .243 Winchester, I liked the Deuce the best for a simple fun gun to shoot and varmit hunt with, but the .243 Winchester was the most practical. You must be planning to go to TX or somewhere else for deer hunting with a 22 centerfire rifle.

The thruth! A .243 with 55gr varmint bullets reaches out past the 22-250. With heavier bullets, it will take the bigger game. I'm assuming you're not so concerned with ammo cost with a bolt gun. My .243 is a Browning X Bolt sporter. If I was gonna shoot small criiters at long range, I would most likely go with a Savage with varmint barrel and the accutrigger.

243 does not offer an exceptional performance upgrade over a 22-250 with similar weight bullets, actually, very similar, and cheaper to reload from the powder charge perspective. More "Bang for your buck" out of the .22-250 than .243 with light bullets. .243, however, does offer the option of larger bullets for medium game.

http://www.hornady.com/images/ballistics/ballistics_charts.pdf

Rob, as far as your question, a .22-250 is the King of the 22 cal cartridges. :D

243 does not offer an exceptional performance upgrade over a 22-250 with similar weight bullets, actually, very similar, and cheaper to reload from the powder charge perspective. More "Bang for your buck" out of the .22-250 than .243 with light bullets. .243, however, does offer the option of larger bullets for medium game.

http://www.hornady.com/images/ballistics/ballistics_charts.pdf

Rob, as far as your question, a .22-250 is the King of the 22 cal cartridges. :D

Here they are, zeroed for maximum point blank range with an 1 1/2" vital zone, 55 grain lead tips, winchester ammo. Red: .223 Green: 22-250 Blue: .243

223-243Ballistics.jpg

.223 for cheaper & easier to grab ammo. 22-250 for the longer distances. I love my .223 but I bought a 22-250 to try on Yotes.

Pick up a Savage or the Rem. 700.

I would grab the better deal that you come across.

The 700 is just that a 700. Great rifle & hard to beat.

The best thing the Savage has going for it is the ease of changing barrels.

People he said he was thinking of .223, 22-250, .222, or .204.

Where did he say anything about a .243 or a 30 caliber?

.223 for cheaper & easier to grab ammo. 22-250 for the longer distances. I love my .223 but I bought a 22-250 to try on Yotes.

Pick up a Savage or the Rem. 700.

I would grab the better deal that you come across.

The 700 is just that a 700. Great rifle & hard to beat.

The best thing the Savage has going for it is the ease of changing barrels.

People he said he was thinking of .223, 22-250, .222, or .204.

Where did he say anything about a .243 or a 30 caliber?

He also mentioned some uses. I would have stayed out of the .243 thing, but some folks view it as a deer rifle. Fact is, it's one helluva varmint rifle with light bullets. Better than a 22-250. The OP was also looking for versatility.

of the options listed i say .223 unless your regularly shoting animals over 250ish yards.

Until you get past that 250 yd distance the 22-250 doesn't really give much advantage.

Then of course if your shots are 300+ yds out i say 22-250.

Edited by fastbs

Thanks for the help & advice guys. After due consideration, I've decided to go with the .243 option.

I can get lightweight bullets for varminting & heavyweights for deer & bigger stuff. I was never really comfortable with the idea of the .22 bore-size for deer, although I know it's possible.

The .243 WIN seems like a much better alrounder, at the expense of a few more cents per bang.