How many pounds of lead in a 5 gallon bucket?

Took a couple of hours yesterday to melt down a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights. I have a turkey fryer and a large cast iron pot, 2 cast iron muffin pans, a couple of large ladles. I wanted to get a big batch of WW lead ready to use as a base when I start casting this fall. I fluxed a couple of times each pot. The 5 gallon bucket was nearly full. I got right at 110 lbs of lead out of that bucket.

I have quite a bit of 50/50 bar solder and linotype so I can blend or heat treat. I was expecting about 140 lbs from what I had read at cast boolits but I didn't get that much.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AS far as steel, I am not sure. I would have to dig thru the clips. I had so many clips floating on top of the pot, I just put a pan up to the edge and raked everything floating into it. Saw a few stick on WW in there and there may have been some steel but I didn't notice. I have several more buckets to do before I am finished so I am liable to run into some.

Next, I have to re-melt a bunch of this and alloy it up with some 50/50 bar solder and linotype, pour it into 1lb bars and get enough to have a repeatable alloy. I will save some for heat treating and leave some as-is for light loads.

Took a couple of hours yesterday to melt down a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights. I have a turkey fryer and a large cast iron pot, 2 cast iron muffin pans, a couple of large ladles. I wanted to get a big batch of WW lead ready to use as a base when I start casting this fall. I fluxed a couple of times each pot. The 5 gallon bucket was nearly full. I got right at 110 lbs of lead out of that bucket.

I have quite a bit of 50/50 bar solder and linotype so I can blend or heat treat. I was expecting about 140 lbs from what I had read at cast boolits but I didn't get that much.

this is a trick question, one cannot know the true weight of how much lead is in a 5 gallon bucket unless one removes the lead and weighs it. The real question is: if Sally has five apples and Tom has three, how much wood would a woodchuck chuck?