Scope recommendations.....

Handsome Rob

Well, it looks like I've not only managed to settle on a caiber, I've found the right rifle too!

I've just been and dropped a few bucks on a nice condition, used Ruger M77 (Mk1, red butt-pad) in .243

Next thing I need to decide on is a scope. I've always used variable power scopes, but to be honest apart from on the range, I rarely alter the magnification. I don't have a huge amount of cash left over to go top of the range, I'm realistically looking for a scope in the sub-$150 price bracket & I'm thinking that a fixed power (6x) scope may allow me to get a little more for my money. I know I'm not going to get a Leupold, but I may be able to find a nice, used Redfield or a lower-end Nikon.

Also, this being an older rifle, it has a very classy gloss blue finish & I'd like the scope to match (rather than being Matte Black)

Does anyone here use & fixed power?

Do you wish you'd bought a variable?

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm going half blind looking at Cheaper than Dirt/Midway/Midsouth etc...

Oh, I'm open to offers if anyone has a suitable scope going spare ;)

Edited by robtattoo
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

....Does anyone here use & fixed power?

Do you wish you'd bought a variable?

I like the fixed power stuff. I grew up with it on target guns. If i was going to target or long range shoot; i would recommend a 6 power (...make sure to get one with a parallax adjustable objective...). For close stuff (...100 yds or so...) i like the 2 3/4 to 3 power fixed. I would look at Leupold or Burris (...i have both -- over 25 years old....). I have no preference for Leupold over Burris; they are both good scopes (...at least, mine are...). Believe it or not, the weaver stuff used to be good stuff. I also like these guys for scopes: Quality optics and accessories from Leupold, Bushnell, Burris, Nikon and more!. My EOtec came from them.

Hope this helps,

leroy

Call me boring, but my favorite scopes are an M8 4x Leupold, or an old 4x Redfield. Either of these are available used for less than your $150 budget. I own several of each, and I've had nothing but the best of luck with them. I'm not sure if leupold will service the old Redfields, but the Leupold scopes have an unconditional lifetime warranty. Run over one with a truck, send it back, and you'll recieve it back in a couple of weeks good as new. Keep an eye on ebay.

I'm probably biased because almost all my scopes are 3-9, and most are Leupold. you can get a rifleman 3-9x40 for 180 bucks here...

Leupold Rifleman QDManager 3-9x40mm Riflescope

I know, you said... Point is, the .243 has some serious reach-out, and you may need higher maginification at times, especially with small critters. Pretty easy to turn it into a 4x fixed. I have a 3-9x40 Rifleman, and it's a good scope for the money. As for my .243, I have a 4-12 AO on it.

Yes I am and no, unfortunately I haven't :eek: I sold all my stuff before I moved here & haven't got back to building yet :( :(

Rob, I really like Bushnell's Banner line of scopes for the price that you are talking about. You actually had o 3-9 Banner at one point on a .357 single rifle that you got from me. Reliable scopes that don't lose zero and pretty good clarity, especially for the price. You can pick up fixed power or variable power up to 4-12 for under that $150. I also like the Redfield scopes, as well.

Also, if you want to shoot itty bitty animals at longer distances with that Ruger (dang fine rifle, by the way - Lemme know when you wanna sell) I would recommend the 9 or 12 power scopes.

Edited by Good_Steward