FINALLY DONE IT .... NEW GUN PURCHASE

Guest preacher

Guest preacher

Well folks, I finally done it. My first purchase of a concealment weapon. I decided on the Ruger SR9c....shot a few rounds through it this afternoon and so far its flawless. May hit up Gunnies tomorrow on my way through "Murville" and sneak a few more rounds through it.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sargekw

Congrats... I got my first gun last week, a Ruger SR9c. I've been to the range twice since I got it last week, seems to work good.

Maybe you might know, or anyone else here... I've heard you should have at least 1000 rounds of ammo for each weapon you have, is that the full metal jacket (plinking ammo) or HP (hollow point ammo)?

I've heard you should have at least 1000 rounds of ammo for each weapon you have, is that the full metal jacket (plinking ammo) or HP (hollow point ammo)?

To cycle 1,000 rounds through the weapon, in order to know its reliability - sure. To literally own 1,000 rounds at all times, not necessarily.

Congrats... I got my first gun last week, a Ruger SR9c. I've been to the range twice since I got it last week, seems to work good.

Maybe you might know, or anyone else here... I've heard you should have at least 1000 rounds of ammo for each weapon you have, is that the full metal jacket (plinking ammo) or HP (hollow point ammo)?

I think that depends on if you shoot ALOT. I keep about 250-500 rounds for my primary weapons. .223,9mm, .45. And maybe 100 rds shotgun ammo. I would never keep that much HP ammo. When I stockpile I keep reliable range ammo only.

To cycle 1,000 rounds through the weapon, in order to know its reliability - sure. To literally own 1,000 rounds at all times, not necessarily.

1k rounds to prove reliability? Yikes, that would be expensive. The old saying was 200 flawless rounds of your defense ammo = reliable gun. At $1+ per shot, that gets expensive. Personally, I'm satisfied after 200 flawless rounds of plinking plus 40 rounds of defense ammo.

As for how much to keep on hand (either FMJ or JHP)? How much money and space do you have? There's no such thing as too much ammo. :)

Guest preacher

put about 200 rounds through it yesterday.....not 1 hang-up or hiccup....so far so good....going to let the wife try her hand at it this weekend, only problem she may have is pulling the "slide" back since it can be a little stiff.