Carrying while bicycling?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SomeGuy

I freely admit I do not like off body carry, that said, I see two options.

The first, get one of the UnderArmor shirts that has built in pockets. They do the sweat wicking trick, plus being good gear for working out. The one I saw advertised a while back, had two pockets (1 each side). They were advertised as being big enough for things like a wallet, keys, or concealed pistol.

The second, my preferred. Map out your route. Ensure you will be in places legal to carry. Open carry. Easier, cheaper, more accessable than a concealed pistol.

Guest canynracer

The second, my preferred. Map out your route. Ensure you will be in places legal to carry. Open carry. Easier, cheaper, more accessable than a concealed pistol.

:D

Well-- An interesting development- I had a pretty severe crash Tuesday evening while riding my bike home from work. I was knocked out briefly-- someone called an ambulance. I definitely needed one! The ambulance carted me to the Med's trauma center.

My bike is being stored by a resident who lives near where I crashed. I was too fuzzy to make any arrangements to do this myself.

I didn't have my wits about me- that's what a concussion will do. Had I been carrying (I wasn't) I might not have been able to remember my gun- I was stunned and in pain and talking to paramedics as best I could.

I am glad there was not a gun in a pack attached to the bike-- who knows where it would be now? I think this has shown me that I want to experiment with different ways to carry on the body-- I'll try that method first.

As an aside- I am basically ok- lots of facial abrasions, one tooth gone (I was wearing a helmet- it helped) no broken bones, no stitches- I am very sore, but they have little pills that can help fix that! I'll go back to work Wednesday of next week.

The accident was a relatively rare one- a piece of a tree limb somehow got wedged between my front tire and the bike frame, effectively bringing the front wheel to a sudden complete stop. I flew over the handlebars onto the street face first. Ouch!

I've always used a Hydrapak or Camelback with a little storage space. If the weight is on me it doesn't change the balance of the bike like adding 2 lbs in the frame does. If you are in anyway somewhat of a serious biker, that will make a huge difference in the handling - especially at speed or at steep angles. Plus speed of draw is not going to be that great on a bike no matter where you have it, so off body is really not that much of an issue. Plus if it's on the bike it will not be close at all if you dismount.

a big +100 for bibs! They are the ticket. Then you can wear whatever shirt or short combo (or none) you want. Comfort can't be beat with bibs.

I wrecked that way before myself. Luckily it was descending a pretty technical, low speed switchback at a steep angle. It does hurt. Glad it was nothing more serious. Hope you feel better soon.

Edited by Smith
Well-- An interesting development- I had a pretty severe crash Tuesday evening while riding my bike home from work. I was knocked out briefly-- someone called an ambulance. I definitely needed one! The ambulance carted me to the Med's trauma center.

My bike is being stored by a resident who lives near where I crashed. I was too fuzzy to make any arrangements to do this myself.

I didn't have my wits about me- that's what a concussion will do. Had I been carrying (I wasn't) I might not have been able to remember my gun- I was stunned and in pain and talking to paramedics as best I could.

I am glad there was not a gun in a pack attached to the bike-- who knows where it would be now? I think this has shown me that I want to experiment with different ways to carry on the body-- I'll try that method first.

As an aside- I am basically ok- lots of facial abrasions, one tooth gone (I was wearing a helmet- it helped) no broken bones, no stitches- I am very sore, but they have little pills that can help fix that! I'll go back to work Wednesday of next week.

The accident was a relatively rare one- a piece of a tree limb somehow got wedged between my front tire and the bike frame, effectively bringing the front wheel to a sudden complete stop. I flew over the handlebars onto the street face first. Ouch!

Ouch! Literally and figuratively! Glad you are going to be ok.

Bike wrecks are pretty bad. Glad you are okay.

I have two friends have bad crashes. One was in the hospital

two days, the other 3 weeks and almost died. The doctors said

he was very lucky. (It was suspected he was hit from behind on

a rural road. It was invested but with no witnesses it went no where.)

Really glad your okay though. Hang in there.