WASR 10/63 Question

Guest dustyh

Hello I'm new here just bought my first gun which is a WASR 10/63. I got it from Tri-cities Gun Depot, which are great people and i will be returning very soon. I was just wondering if there were any good sites online to buy add ons/upgrades I want to get rid of the wood and some other things like sights etc, a more tactical look over all I guess. Thanks for any help.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, AK's are best left alone.

tactical8vw.jpg

dont get me wrong i love the way it looks i just like the black look more than wood it already has a adjustable stock hat is black so i am really looking for a black foregrip and the pic is greay btw

I bought some Tapco gear (I recommend their stocks, but not their foregrips--they seemed jakey to me) and enjoyed it for awhile, but when I realized I just put too much plastic on it I went back to wood. I'm pretty happy with it now, but I'll accessorize my AR and leave my AK alone.

I also hear that an Ultimak fore grip rail coupled with an Aimpoint are just tops. They allow co-witness, and look really neat. Let me see if I can find a pic...

Huh, will you look at that. On the front page of Ultimak's website there's a pic:

AK-47 Accessories, AK-47 Mini-14, Mini-30, M1 .30 Carbine Scout Scope Mount from UltiMAK

That's pretty much what you'll end up with. I wouldn't be too worried about your Aimpoint getting cooked from the heat. Good luck, sir.

AKbull.jpg

Take all the money you would spend on accessories and buy ammunition, magazines, and a training class. It will do you infinitely more good than a tapco stock set.

Mike

Thanks for the Post. I spit my coffee all over the place after reading it. That's pretty damn funny!

Tapco or KVAR stocks are well made. The AK rear sight is for crap. You can do some reading up online of some mods you can possibly do yourself that gives it a better sight picture. The Ultimak rail works well especially for co-witness. I would shoot the rifle a bit and get used to the iron sights, then improve as you see fit. AK's are cheap enough to have one that that is stock and one that is fancied out a bit.

I usually buy MAK's because they have excellent receivers. The best deals on those are non-compliant. So, being that I hate the bunghole stocks, I can change them less expensively with light plastic stocks or go with more expensive wood stocks. It is a toss up.

I don't know how much I would mod a stock on a euro gun that has the wood on it already, but the plastic/nylon etc are lighter and pretty nice especially with an m4 style collapsible stock. Hey that stock is nothing like the original M16 stock either. Oh and they didn't have these nice new rails either.

Designers usually agree that in time their work can be improved upon with new and better materials. If you like traditional, stick traditional. If you like them modded, go for it. It's your gun. Both will work well. I personally like both and think most original designers of their firearms would have taken advantage of potential improvement or mods for even more usages if it had been available. Who cares as long as it doesn't mess with the working integrity of the weapon.

Like I said, I like both and have always thought the old style AK to be one of the neatest looking military weapons ever made. I also like some of the lighter materials and the opportunity to run the AK with improved sight pictures. The nice thing about the Ultimak is that you can always change it back. It isn't a permanent mod to a receiver which I would personally ever do. The AK comes is a wide variety of styles and many different types of stocks.

Edited by Warbird

I personally do not like the fit and feel of the stock AK furniture. I read what people had to say about the various stocks available and tried a few variations and wasted a little money like most people do. I simply went with a Vltor tube and a MagPul butt stock. The Tube is aluminum not plastic, the mounting points are sturdy and the MagPul buttstock fits snuggly into my shoulder. Feels great and it's very functional for ME. I purchased the Ulitmak gas tube and it works. Fit is supurb and yes, with an Aimpoint or Micro ior a clone of either WILL allow you to "co-witness" the iron sights. All that's great but practice with the irons first before you decide on any optic or optic mount.

Mine went from this.....

RHleggear023.jpg

To this.......

RHleggear030.jpg

Had the Aimpoint on, but took it off to refamiliarize myself with the irons.......

rifle018-1.jpg

Guest Grantonius
C'mon, guys. He's not talking about accessorizing your AK, just his. Let's put aside personal choices and give him some reliable info so he doesn't make a bad decision in buying something.

To tell a family secret.... my AK has tactical furniture.

This has become my favorite AK site carolinashooterssupply.com Home Page. The Ace stocks with the internal adapter are by far the best thing out there, if you don't mind cutting your rear tang off.

Man, I can't recall how many stocks I "tried on" before settling with what I have.......

ACE stocks are good and I thought about getting the M4 buttstock version but after putting one up to my shoulder at a gunshow, I decided to go with my Vltor/Magpul.

Guest smileyguy

lol...You shouldn't have a problem finding AK accessories. Don't listen to the nay sayers. Tac it out if you want to. One of mine is still stock (for the time being). The other has collapsible stock and quad rail. Nothing to extravagant. I like the quad rail, because it allows you to easily change configurations. Maybe a red dot one day. Maybe add a tac light for a HD set up the next. Do what you want and have fun with it.