Has anyone actually been caught in a "DMZ"?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mcgyver210

I decided years ago if the sign is posted & I see it even if not properly posted It would be better for me to either disarm or not enter the offending establishment. I figure I am educated so I don't need to act dumb on the meaning of a sign.

I have started boycotting any business I can though due to my safety concerns with the business only disarming Honest Law Abiding Civilians.

Concerning Glock30Owner's alleged encounter:

When working security, and you have an armed, uncooperative individual of unknown character and disposition in an area full of other people, that you are dealing with by yourself, the best thing you can do is keep him/her calm and not let them know anything that may provoke them is about to happen. You also don't send them wandering off elsewhere to be somebody else's problem.

Given that gunfights are no fun, especially where unarmed civilians are concerned, I have a hard time faulting the guard for how he handled things.

There was no gun fire, nobody got hurt, and nobody went to jail. And if the narrator of the story had used a little better judgment concerning weapons on someone else's property, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Say what you want about "rights", but the fact still remains that you do catch more flies with honey than you do vinegar, so a little sweeter disposition would probably have gone much further in insuring that he didn't end up getting his feelings hurt, and being given a good going-over by the local constabulary.

Edited by Jamie
Guest RevScottie

OK guys lets use your same logic and apply it to the Knox Expo Center gun show:

Your first time at the show and you walk in open carrying. "White haired security guard" says hey there is no way you are going in there like that. He asks to see your weapon and HCP, you refuse to show him your HCP but allow him to "safety check" your weapon and he then removes the magazine and dumps all of your Gold Dots into a cup on the table and tells you that you ain't getting them back. You are in a heated argument for ten minutes with him and asks him if he wants you to leave. He says no and you go into the show. Now 30 minutes later Knoxville PD shows up with 3 patrol cars looking for you because "white haired security guy" has called them. Do you still feel the security guy is just doing his job? Maybe he argues with you because you are selling outside, or he likes revolvers and thinks your cocked and locked 1911 is unsafe. Does the security guard always command respect even if he is wrong? If so some people on here have some apologizing to do :ugh:

This is why I say there is so much irony on this forum. It is usually not about right or wrong its about who you do or do not sympathize with. The typical villians in most of these stories are usually the security guard, LEO, or the the Kwik type individual.

Again, I don't understand the logic of provoking a potential conflict by not showing your card. Trying to be a hard-ass and nit-picking that the person has no legal right to see it is just foolish, especially when the person you're dealing with has been tasked with everyone's safety and security on some one else's property.

It's not about respect, it about plain old common sense: Don't cause any trouble or difficulty and there probably won't be any trouble or difficulty.

I just don't understand why this is such an issue.

OK guys lets use your same logic and apply it to the Knox Expo Center gun show:

Your first time at the show and you walk in open carrying. "White haired security guard" says hey there is no way you are going in there like that. He asks to see your weapon and HCP, you refuse to show him your HCP but allow him to "safety check" your weapon and he then removes the magazine and dumps all of your Gold Dots into a cup on the table and tells you that you ain't getting them back. You are in a heated argument for ten minutes with him and asks him if he wants you to leave. He says no and you go into the show. Now 30 minutes later Knoxville PD shows up with 3 patrol cars looking for you because "white haired security guy" has called them. Do you still feel the security guy is just doing his job? Maybe he argues with you because you are selling outside, or he likes revolvers and thinks your cocked and locked 1911 is unsafe. Does the security guard always command respect even if he is wrong? If so some people on here have some apologizing to do :ugh:

This is why I say there is so much irony on this forum. It is usually not about right or wrong its about who you do or do not sympathize with. The typical villians in most of these stories are usually the security guard, LEO, or the the Kwik type individual.

If you open carry, you get what you get. How many stories do we have to hear?

I haven't been 'caught' in a DMZ. There aren't that many in Knoxville, and the ones I know about I avoid because I don't want to support their business.

I carry in improperly posted places all the time (West Town Mall comes to mind), but I generally try and go the extra mile to conceal and not force the issue. My handgun is a defensive tool, not one of political protest.

If caught in a posted or improperly posted area, my defense plan is as follows:

1) Co-operate with property owner or their agent;

2) Leave if requested.

• Administrator

I don't see the irony. I also don't see Voldemort as a law abiding citizen who has been repeatedly maligned by the police. What I see when I look at his case is someone who is using their firearm and carry permit as a prop in his quest to get rich quick.

Carrying a firearm for your self defense is serious business. It's a responsibility that is not to be taken lightly. Voldemort doesn't exhibit the normal traits of a person exercising his rights in a responsible fashion. My opinion of him is that he's a narcissistic opportunist looking for the fast track to easy cash at the government's expense, holding out hope that a judge and jury will find him innocent and award him lots and lots of taxpayer money to soothe his poor little injured soul.

If he was the patron saint of responsible handgun carry being wronged by the government, don't you think that the NRA or some other champion of the Second Amendment would have rushed to his aid by now?

Frankly I'm sick and tired of people mistaking what is happening to him as somehow indicative of how The Man wants to treat the rest of us. It's not. He got the confrontation he was looking for and is now just waiting for the payout.

Guest RevScottie

Hey David Im certainly not trying to defend Kwik I'm just saying the law should be blind and it shouldn't matter if your name is TGO David or Kwik the law should treat you the same. Kwik certainly is trying to use these circumstances to gain fame and fortune but the way the law itself is being enforced should be of concern to all gun owners.

Hey David Im certainly not trying to defend Kwik I'm just saying the law should be blind and it shouldn't matter if your name is TGO David or Kwik the law should treat you the same. Kwik certainly is trying to use these circumstances to gain fame and fortune but the way the law itself is being enforced should be of concern to all gun owners.

And, I want it to go back to the old school. If you need to be hit in the head with a stick, you get hit in the head with a stick. Lenny would have stopped his crap a long time ago if he would have received half of the thumpings he deserved.

It's kind of funny if you think about it... Far too many new HCP holders want to show everybody and their cousin their new carry permit, even when they probably shouldn't. But then you get people who cause a stink and bring unneeded aggravation on themselves by refusing to show the card when they probably should, even though it's not required by law to show that particular person.

So maybe it should become a requirement that HCP holders must wear a HCP badge, once they've had the police called on them because they refused to show proof that they actually have a permit? :shrug::)

I don't think we should try to fix anything. It's high quality entertainment

Now you know I was just kidding... I already know you can't fix "stupid" by any currently-legal means. :-\

You have to admit though, it'd put a stop to anybody asking if they should buy and wear one'a those badges. :)

We are concerned. This clown thought it would be a good idea to strap an AK pistol across his chest and go for a walk in a park. He did it because he knew it would make the news and in his mental midget mind he thinks he can win some kind of lawsuit.

Our legislators have not limited carry very much as long as you are willing to buy a license. But stunts like his will not go unaddressed.

I have a PLR-16 that is a pistol under Tennessee law. Does that mean I should open carry it? No, I know better. Open carrying it through the local mall would almost certainly end in an encounter with Police. I would expect that because someone that would do that is not of sound mind.

His Tennessee HCP was revoked and he just got a Florida carry permit. I hope he screws up and ends up in jail or financially devastated. This is no friend of the gun owner.

We are concerned. This clown thought it would be a good idea to strap an AK pistol across his chest and go for a walk in a park. He did it because he knew it would make the news and in his mental midget mind he thinks he can win some kind of lawsuit.

Our legislators have not limited carry very much as long as you are willing to buy a license. But stunts like his will not go unaddressed.

I have a PLR-16 that is a pistol under Tennessee law. Does that mean I should open carry it? No, I know better. Open carrying it through the local mall would almost certainly end in an encounter with Police. I would expect that because someone that would do that is not of sound mind.

His Tennessee HCP was revoked and he just got a Florida carry permit. I hope he screws up and ends up in jail or financially devastated. This is no friend of the gun owner.

+100

Ok, we've all aired our opinions about GLOCK30owner (myself included) but this is quickly turning into yet another Leonerd thread. As we are all well aware of, those threads always turn into something that resembles what the cat throws-up at 2AM.

So, before we get "there" and people get upset, lets get this back on topic.

;)

• Administrator
Ok, we've all aired our opinions about GLOCK30owner (myself included) but this is quickly turning into yet another Leonerd thread. As we are all well aware of, those threads always turn into something that resembles what the cat throws-up at 2AM.

So, before we get "there" and people get upset, lets get this back on topic.

;)

It's no small coincidence that the parallel between the two was drawn though, do you think? At some point it becomes obvious that while the two individuals may indeed be two individuals that we're just deciding upon degrees of extremes.

It's no small coincidence that the parallel between the two was drawn though, do you think? At some point it becomes obvious that while the two individuals may indeed be two individuals that we're just deciding upon degrees of extremes.

Oh, no doubt. I just hate seeing that idiot have another thread about him

;)