Gang signs, Gang activity in Smyrna Tn.

soapy

Hello,

I took some pictures of gang signs in the smyrna park this summer. I happened to be watching the history channel on gangs and believe one to stand for the gang MS 13.

x=10

c=3

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z428/soapy11/DSC04145.jpg

I have no idea what the other one is. anyone?

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z428/soapy11/DSC04144.jpg

Maybe they saw the show also, and its just for intimidation?

I have heard there is gang activity in the Antioch area?

thanks for your input.

soapy

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had heard rumors of gang activity in Lake Forrest over here in La Vergne too. This was just before we bought a house here. After 2 years I haven't seen anything but some spray paint, but I hear that gang members are like cockroaches, for every one you DO see, there's a dozen you don't.

thanks,

I have a bit more I'll add. The park has an apartment building close by with easy access to the remote area of the park where the signs are. After reading this forum and some of the links, I am convinced that they at 3 different times this summer, (twice with 4, and once with 8) they tried to get position on me, either for practice or to see how I would react. I usually have my guitar and in a power chair, and they were other people elsewhere in the park at the time. At the time I was just uneasy and left, not realizing what they where doing at the time..

My neighbor is an assistant principle at smyrna high school.. He said they were refugees from the former country Burmese, relocated here.

They are about 20 in HS, and around 30 in elementary and jr high. Most don't speak english, so they hang together. He talked like they where harmless, just happy to be here in the land of plenty... :) and not to be fearful of them... I was also told by a lady who works in the school here , where they send the truants, that they were more likely to try and befriend you, and afterwards rip you off.. rather than do harm..

I would like to give them the benefit of doubt, but from what I know and feel, they are exhibiting gang activities, if you know what I mean... I assume they are smoking weed, as they have made some drawings of a pipe , joint, etc on a wooden deck close to the creek, built by the city this summer..I mentioned the signs to a Smyrna LEO, and he said they have had a "couple" calls on fights to the apartment area, nothing major, and that he would contact the parks dept to have the gang signs removed or the signs replaced... I haven't been there in a bit, so I don't know if that was done, and I doubt that would stay clean long..

peace

soapy

• Administrator

I have a bad habit of not going places where I figure the odds are improved that I might actually have to use my handgun because of proximity to bad people. If you're seeing gang signs on things and feel like you're being scoped out by the natives... I'd maybe find a new place to go.

Smyrna does have a large Hispanic population over in the Nary housing projects and sadly where are large concentrations of Hispanics are also Hispanic gangs. Our PD does a very good job of keeping the wolves in check, but they (the police) can't be with you everywhere so it's up to you to practice avoidance and to be capable of defending yourself if put in that position.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
I had heard rumors of gang activity in Lake Forrest over here in La Vergne too. This was just before we bought a house here. After 2 years I haven't seen anything but some spray paint, but I hear that gang members are like cockroaches, for every one you DO see, there's a dozen you don't.

I've had the unfortunate experience of going over there for work related reasons, and can confirm what look to be gang members and their markings in the area.

I have a bad habit of not going places where I figure the odds are improved that I might actually have to use my handgun because of proximity to bad people. If you're seeing gang signs on things and feel like you're being scoped out by the natives... I'd maybe find a new place to go.

Smyrna does have a large Hispanic population over in the Nary housing projects and sadly where are large concentrations of Hispanics are also Hispanic gangs. Our PD does a very good job of keeping the wolves in check, but they (the police) can't be with you everywhere so it's up to you to practice avoidance and to be capable of defending yourself if put in that position.

Exactly my thoughts. Smyrna PD does have a 2 min response time there, but it only takes seconds. I stopped going and have warned the neighbors. Still, they are around. thanks for the replies... Happy holidays, and Merry Christmas.

soapy

It's no rumor. I had a drive by just a few blocks from my house a couble of years ago, and there was also a large fight at the corner around my house. The nice thing about the economy tanking was that it drove most of the gangs back into their old neighborhoods.

The first tag looks possibly MCP Mexicans Causing Panic. They tend to align with Surenos and some MS13. They are getting bigger and looking to make move to more ground. MCP has been active lately looking for turf. We had some from Madison come tag a few places but haven't been back. The second I can't see really well so no guess on that one.

Guest tnxdshooter
Hello,

I took some pictures of gang signs in the smyrna park this summer. I happened to be watching the history channel on gangs and believe one to stand for the gang MS 13.

x=10

c=3

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z428/soapy11/DSC04145.jpg

I have no idea what the other one is. anyone?

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z428/soapy11/DSC04144.jpg

Maybe they saw the show also, and its just for intimidation?

I have heard there is gang activity in the Antioch area?

thanks for your input.

soapy

Thanks for this but already know alot about the gangs. This is nothing new for me.

Guest tnxdshooter
thanks,

I have a bit more I'll add. The park has an apartment building close by with easy access to the remote area of the park where the signs are. After reading this forum and some of the links, I am convinced that they at 3 different times this summer, (twice with 4, and once with 8) they tried to get position on me, either for practice or to see how I would react. I usually have my guitar and in a power chair, and they were other people elsewhere in the park at the time. At the time I was just uneasy and left, not realizing what they where doing at the time..

My neighbor is an assistant principle at smyrna high school.. He said they were refugees from the former country Burmese, relocated here.

They are about 20 in HS, and around 30 in elementary and jr high. Most don't speak english, so they hang together. He talked like they where harmless, just happy to be here in the land of plenty... ;) and not to be fearful of them... I was also told by a lady who works in the school here , where they send the truants, that they were more likely to try and befriend you, and afterwards rip you off.. rather than do harm..

I would like to give them the benefit of doubt, but from what I know and feel, they are exhibiting gang activities, if you know what I mean... I assume they are smoking weed, as they have made some drawings of a pipe , joint, etc on a wooden deck close to the creek, built by the city this summer..I mentioned the signs to a Smyrna LEO, and he said they have had a "couple" calls on fights to the apartment area, nothing major, and that he would contact the parks dept to have the gang signs removed or the signs replaced... I haven't been there in a bit, so I don't know if that was done, and I doubt that would stay clean long..

peace

soapy

Well burmese are asians and look like vietnamese. I think they speak mandarin Chinese so they are not MS13.

I've had the unfortunate experience of going over there for work related reasons, and can confirm what look to be gang members and their markings in the area.

Just wondering...how long ago was this and what area of the neighborhood (if you can recall)?

It's no rumor. I had a drive by just a few blocks from my house a couble of years ago, and there was also a large fight at the corner around my house. The nice thing about the economy tanking was that it drove most of the gangs back into their old neighborhoods.

This makes sense to me, since the majority of the stuff I had heard was 2 or 3 years ago too. I certainly hope they are gone or at least thinned out. Mind if I ask what area the drive by and the fight took place? This place is SO big, but I have teenage kids and I'd like to steer them away from any possible trouble.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Just wondering...how long ago was this and what area of the neighborhood (if you can recall)?

This makes sense to me, since the majority of the stuff I had heard was 2 or 3 years ago too. I certainly hope they are gone or at least thinned out. Mind if I ask what area the drive by and the fight took place? This place is SO big, but I have teenage kids and I'd like to steer them away from any possible trouble.

About a year ago, but I don't remember the specific area. I was driving based on directions given to be by a client. It was near some of the new development, if that means anything.

Guest Guy N. Cognito

About a year ago, but I don't remember the specific area. I was driving based on directions given to be by a client. It was near some of the new development, if that means anything.

Essentially, North of Lavergne Lane and Stones River by a couple of blocks. The fight was at the corner of Tom Hailey and E. Nir Shreibman.

Well burmese are asians and look like vietnamese. I think they speak mandarin Chinese so they are not MS13.

Thats what the neighbor said and I read that also, thats why I thought they might be "posers" . Learned a new word here... :)

I just thought of this..

The yellow sign is closer to the asian apartments. It was tagged first. Later, the stop sign was tagged by the latinos. = turf wars

2 gangs involved, no matter how they tag territory.

Edited by soapy
Guest tnxdshooter
Thats what the neighbor said and I read that also, thats why I thought they might be "posers" . Learned a new word here... :)

I just thought of this..

The yellow sign is closer to the asian apartments. It was tagged first. Later, the stop sign was tagged by the latinos. = turf wars

2 gangs involved, no matter how they tag territory.

Could be.