.45 acp range ammo

Guest Alexander07

Guest Alexander07

I was fortunate enough for Christmas that my wife bought me a new XD45 Compact. What a awesome surprise that was!...

I tried searching the forum for threads pertaining to buying good quality range ammo, but I didn't find anything dealing with the .45acp. Can anyone suggest a good quality manufacturer of a .45 round, that I can purchase in bulk quantities and preferably in 230 grain.

Thanks in advance :D

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few that let you search current online prices:

AmmoEngine: .45 ACP, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals

To really enjoy shooting 45 ACP you probably need to get into reloading. Before I started reloading I would cringe at the thought of shooting my 45's. I can reload for less than .15 each. Even if you aren't reloading keep all you brass because eventually you will. I had been keeping brass for years before I started reloading and when I did start I had well over 1,000 peices of 45 ACP and probably 2,000 .223.

Dolomite

I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Georgia Arms ammo, but I would try to wait until they came to a gun show near you and save on shipping. Otherwise I just buy Winchester White Box 100 Rd packs at wall mart. Which is about .34 Cents a piece. Which is more than Georgia arms without shipping, .32 cents, but with shipping it's almost .38 cents per

Edited by Lumber_Jack

The winchester 100 packs are a good deal @ walmart. Its heavy and shipping costs will eat up your savings online unless you buy in bulk. Gun shows also are great sources of cheap ammo, always seems to be a few booths that sell nothing else.

As others have said, WWB & Federal from Wally and Georgia Arms. I've also taken RWS to the range and liked it--think I got it from Cabela's or Cheaper Than Dirt but only b/c it was a great deal and in bulk it beat local even with shipping. Haven't done the gun show thing yet but need to as well! Happy scrounging and shooting!

BTW, if you plan to reload be watchful some of the Federal Ammunition that Walmart sells is small primer. Perfectly fine for shooting but mixed in with large primer brass can be a PIA if you don't notice.

It is generally the leadfree ammo that has the small primer. Speer also makes a small primer 45 ACP round. The Federal rounds are crimped while the Speer are not. I use and like small primer brass because it allows me to minimize my inventory of primers. I use small rifle primers in the small primer 45 acp's without issue.

Dolomite

I've used several hundred rounds of FMJ ammo from WWB, Blazer Brass, American Eagle, Lawman, and Remington UMC with no issues. Unless you're buying bulk from somewhere online, WWB at walmart is as cheap as anything.

And I continue to lust over an XD45 Compact. I'm curious to see when the XDm45 Compact comes out.

Guest Alexander07

Thanks for all the replies. I have a pretty good idea now. For right now, I'm going to keep purchasing small bulk amounts. If I find myself spending too much cash, I'm definitely will look into reloading my own ammo. I do like the idea of $0.15 per shot though :D

It is generally the leadfree ammo that has the small primer. Speer also makes a small primer 45 ACP round. The Federal rounds are crimped while the Speer are not. I use and like small primer brass because it allows me to minimize my inventory of primers. I use small rifle primers in the small primer 45 acp's without issue.

Dolomite

Apparently even the leaded stuff can have small primers (see link). No biggy just be aware and don't mix with large primer brass.

Funky Federal @ Walmart! - 1911Forum

Guest Alexander07
if you want to reloadcomeon over to my house i will help you i retired this year and i am bored

I wouldn't mind seeing the whole reloading process from start to finish.

Edited by Alexander07
trying to do the forum posting from my cellphone
Guest tnxdshooter
I was fortunate enough for Christmas that my wife bought me a new XD45 Compact. What a awesome surprise that was!...

I tried searching the forum for threads pertaining to buying good quality range ammo, but I didn't find anything dealing with the .45acp. Can anyone suggest a good quality manufacturer of a .45 round, that I can purchase in bulk quantities and preferably in 230 grain.

Thanks in advance :)

wally world ammo works just fine

Guest tnxdshooter
The winchester 100 packs are a good deal @ walmart. Its heavy and shipping costs will eat up your savings online unless you buy in bulk. Gun shows also are great sources of cheap ammo, always seems to be a few booths that sell nothing else.

Really every gun show I have ever been to was 10.00 higher on their ammo than walmart just like most regular gun stores are.

Guest rec4309

Try NSK ammo. You will have to ggogle it.

Ammo guru on 1911 forum.

He has reloaded target ammo at decent prices. He will also reload your cases