New Kel-Tec 12 Ga 14-Rd Capacity Bullpup Shotgun

TNRobocop

Guest Grantonius
So, how does this thing feed from the two tubes?

Alternately between the 2, or do you manually select which tube to feed from?

What I was wondering.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, how does this thing feed from the two tubes?

Alternately between the 2, or do you manually select which tube to feed from?

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but I'm too lazy to go back and look, so here goes: It's manual. There's a switch behind the grip. Left for the left tube, right for the right tube, and middle to eject a shell without chambering a new round. Pretty cool if it works.
And that first guy only had one miss feed. and it was his fault.

Bzzz...nope wrong answer. The ejected case hung on the lift gate.

The misfeeds are from the gun. Being it is a prototype, there are some tweaks it needs. We had several misfeeds/extraction problems with it. There needs to be some redesign to the lift gate mechanism and the chamber needs to be chamfered so the rounds feed easier from the tubes to the chamber for starters.

It looks like it kicks alot, but actually it was quite controllable and follow up was pretty quick. My shoulder doesn't feel anything like it does from running an 870 or 500. The large rubber endpiece was great for absorbing recoil.

Part of the problem with it feeding "might" have been from the temperature. The plastic was hard from the cold on the first batch of rounds we shot since they had been in the trunk of the patrol car all day. Later on in the session the ammo can was in the sunlight and the rounds had warmed up some. We probably shot around 100 or so rounds through it.

We are putting together a AAR for submission to the company for suggested improvements.

Edited by TNRobocop
.... The misfeeds are from the gun. Being it is a prototype, there are some tweaks it needs.....

Did anybody run it without the forward grip? JMHO, but it seems to me that the forward grip shifts the CG moment to low and forward. That could cause a less than idea stroke of the action.

Also, with such a short barrel some sort of forward hand stop/guard to keep your hand from going forward of the muzzle would seem to be a good idea.

That said, it does look to be a very interesting idea, one with real potential. :shrug:

Did anybody run it without the forward grip? JMHO, but it seems to me that the forward grip shifts the CG moment to low and forward. That could cause a less than idea stroke of the action.

Yah, I was thinking either no grip or possibly the Magpul grip might be preferred here.

I'd def try it with no grip, not really a fan of forward grips.

Nope we ran it only with the VFG.

I personally hate the AFG, plus I would be worried about my hand slipping forward in front of the muzzle. The handguard is wide and has a rail on it, which while it is plastic could tear your hands up.

Now if it had a SP89 style VFG/hand protector that might be GTG.

On youtube are some pictures of Kel-Tec employees shooting it on the range without a foregrip, but they don't seem very comfortable or smooth using the forearm.

In my shooting of it, the VFG works quite well. A Surefire VFG/Light combo would be ok also.

• Moderators

Expect to wait a good long while. Per Frank James on his blog, as heard at the Kel-Tec booth at SHOT:

In listening to the questions being asked, I was NOT encouraged by some of the answers. To the question, "How much of your production resources are being devoted to producing this gun?" put to the company representative by a big dealer, the answer was "We've got TWO guys working on it right now." The response was "You better HIRE more people because I'll buy everything THEY can produce!"

The Keltec Shotgun is pretty dang cool. We got our hands on it here at the SHOT show in Vegas. Functions REALLY well. The pump feels very natural as is, but did not get to try it with an AFG or VFG, etc. The selector in between tubes is really cool. Very simple, easy to use, and user friendly. It'd be hard to screw it up. The weight is pretty good with both tubes, and I'm sure fully loaded it'd be pretty hefty. Not bad, but definitely more than you would expect from a "plasticy" looking Keltec shotgun. Looks like they'll be ~yr out timeline wise, but....of course that could always be pushed back ;)

shotgunkeltec.jpg

Pretty sweet! I'll definitely be getting one. :D

Also, the tubes are designed for 2 3/4" shells BUT, the receiver is up to 3" shells. You can manually load (pretty easily) 3" shells through the bottom if you wanted to.

Just out of curiosity for those that shot it or were there when it was fired, there were some reports that the trigger will fail if it is not released before the action is pumped, and the only way to get it working again it is to cycle the pump again, ejecting a live round. Did anyone experience this?

Detailed here:

Kel-Tec KSG Shotgun video « Gun Nuts Media

Considering this isn't released yet, I'm betting there will be refinement between now and when it actually hits the store shelves...

Guest bkelm18
Considering this isn't released yet, I'm betting there will be refinement between now and when it actually hits the store shelves...

In a perfect world yes... Really I was just wondering if they'd experienced this. I know it'll likely have been addressed before it is released.