Help me spend $400

kesava

I want

1911 Accuracy

Glock Reliability

A smooth and clean trigger break with little travel

4 Inch barrel for CCW

for $400...

I am thinking about the Sig SP2022 or CZ-75 --- I might even pick up a police trade in H&K-.40

I have both a Glock and 1911 and each have very unique advantages. Where do they meet?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two handguns I don't waiver from Keltec P32 and Glock 19. You didn't specify caliber but indicated 9mm CZ 75 or .40 HK would be OK. It would be an embarrassment to tell you how many guns I have owned in my search for the "holy grail." I also have access to a boatload to shoot which belong to several gun "accumulators." Finding a low travel trigger, especially if you want a trigger as nice as a decent 1911 trigger, for 400.00 in a reliable pistol might be interesting. Depending what 1911 you are talking about your accuracy requirements can be met by quite a few pistols. I've shot but not owned a Single Action CZ75, but have owned 4 "75s" and a PO1. If you can find a used SA 75 that approached 400.00 you would have a nice find in the requirements you want.

What you want is hard to find, most double action guns have a sloppy and long trigger even in SA mode. Most SA guns are 1911 style only. I am going to say, get a SA revolver in 357 maybe, .... as reliable as a glock, and as good a shooter as a 1911... thats what you asked for...

I think you already mentioned what fits your bill, sp2022 - never shot one, but hear it has a good out of box trigger. If it is similar to other sig triggers it will have a little bit of take-up but a clean crisp break. Will be accurate, polymer as well so it will be light so easy carry. You may want to consider an fnp9/40 as well, they can be had pretty cheap since the release of the fnx. The fnp9/40 USG model also has a manual safety in addition to the decocker so you can carry cocked and locked.

my .02

The Sig 2022 is an amazing gun, and as accurate as any 1911 I've shot. It's one of those guns I can put shot on top of shot.

Mine's 9mm, but they are vailable in .40 & 357Sig.

If you're comfortable with the size for carry, it's Sig reliable, light and comfortable.

I like DA/SA, and the trigger is smooth, probably the best of my Sigs out of the box. Since it's hammer fired you can fire every shot in a short crisp SA (about 4#) if you prefer.

It is available in DAO, and you can exchange the FCU very simply. The grips are easily exchangable to fit the size of your hand.

Make sure to find the trigger size that works best for you. The short trigger is thin, good for people with small hands or short fingers. If you have large hands or long fingers you'll be better off with the standard trigger.

At the price I think it's an amazing value and I've yet to find anyone who actually owns one who doesn't love it.

IMVHO, for your price range you can't do better. Good luck.

You didn't mention which Glock you have. Have you ever thought about just buying some aftermarket parts for your Glock? A new trigger or barrel perhaps? A 3.5 lb connector and polish job?

I owned a HK USP 40. Yes, it is accurate, but probably not as accurate as a semi-custom 1911. However, they are still more accurate than me. The trigger though was long and very heavy. I saw the same thing with my FNP-9. It had an incredibly long trigger pull, and that is why I no longer have it.

Guest The Highlander

Rimfire:

Ruger Mk III or Single-Six. If you can find one, a SIG Hammerli Trailside.

Centerfire:

Ruger SR9, or if you prefer, SR40.

Mine is Glock reliable, more accurate than me, feels like a Commander-sized 1911, comes from the factory with decent adjustable sights, and just feels great. My favorite carry gun, replacing Glocks I carried for 15 years. Also my favorite 9mm if that matters.

Second choice would be a DA revolver of some sort. For $400 it will probably be used, but I'd pick a Ruger GP-100, 4" barrel. Spend $20 for a Wolff spring kit, and you have a tank of a revolver.

The Highlander

Edited by The Highlander

For $400 you could easily find a used 2nd generation Glock, a new Rock Island or used Springfield 1911, Smith Sigma/SV, EAA Whitnes, Taurus 24/7, or any KelTec.

If you were asking what I would do, I'd get a good .357 revolver from Taurus, Rossi, ect. if I wanted a carry gun.

If I wanted a shooter I would drop my cash for a Rock Island 1911.

There is no half-way between a single action only trigger and a SA/DA trigger, and no $400 gun will be likely to improve on either

One option is to spend $400 on ammo, pick a pattern, and practice.

It's the archer not the arrow.

Pistols For Sale - CZ-75 9mm Czech Police 1992 VG Dept Issu Box 1 Mag - Auction: 10077889 (Ended 12/24/2010, 17:04:27 PST) - these are still available I think.

These are pre-B guns (No Firing Pin Block, which is good)... add a $63 competition hammer from CZCustoms and a $4 13lb hammer-spring and you'll have a trigger in SA that'll beat about 95% of the guns out there, anything but a smoothed-over top-shelf 1911, 100% better than any $400 gun that's for sure.

Pistols For Sale - CZ-75 9mm Czech Police 1992 VG Dept Issu Box 1 Mag - Auction: 10077889 (Ended 12/24/2010, 17:04:27 PST) - these are still available I think.

These are pre-B guns (No Firing Pin Block, which is good)... add a $63 competition hammer from CZCustoms and a $4 13lb hammer-spring and you'll have a trigger in SA that'll beat about 95% of the guns out there, anything but a smoothed-over top-shelf 1911, 100% better than any $400 gun that's for sure.

Let me second this. A cheap commie gun with a solid trigger job is amazing. Mine is a makarov but same idea; I shot 100 rounds thru it a couple of weeks back, into a fresh cardboard target holder, and the total group for 100 shots (at about 20-25 feet) was 3 inches (using silver bear ammo, very cheap stuff). The trigger pull on it is about 1/4 inch at 2.5lbs or so. Its the best shooting cheap gun I have ever held/owned/etc. And its durable, sitting on 2500 rounds or so without a hiccup.

Let me second this. A cheap commie gun with a solid trigger job is amazing. Mine is a makarov but same idea; I shot 100 rounds thru it a couple of weeks back, into a fresh cardboard target holder, and the total group for 100 shots (at about 20-25 feet) was 3 inches (using silver bear ammo, very cheap stuff). The trigger pull on it is about 1/4 inch at 2.5lbs or so. Its the best shooting cheap gun I have ever held/owned/etc. And its durable, sitting on 2500 rounds or so without a hiccup.

CZ/Commie guns are still sleepers even after all these years... there's so much here-say BS out there from people who don't really have any experience with them that a lot of guys won't even give them a chance. Jeff Cooper dug them for a reason...

The OP asked for where a 1911 and a Glock meet: that's a pre-B CZ IMHO. In SA with a good trigger it'll be crisp and easy to shoot like a good 1911 and it'll eat pretty much anything and run drama-free like a Glock.

I recommend CZCustom's competition hammer as it has a raised sear-bed, shorter hammer hooks, and comes already polished, it's pretty much a drop-in trigger-job that with a lighter hammer-spring will yield an honest-to-goodness 3lb creep-free glass-rod-breaking trigger without doing anything else, and DA will be around 6lbs and hang with a top-shelf revolvers pull.

For $400 you could easily find a used 2nd generation Glock, a new Rock Island or used Springfield 1911, Smith Sigma/SV, EAA Whitnes, Taurus 24/7, or any KelTec.

If you were asking what I would do, I'd get a good .357 revolver from Taurus, Rossi, ect. if I wanted a carry gun.

If I wanted a shooter I would drop my cash for a Rock Island 1911.

Glock's triggers are a bit long and don't lend themselves to high accuracy (no trigger jobs on carry pistols for me). Plus I like safeties (My EDC is a Glock 19 btw). I have a RIA Commander already. EAA is an option as it's a CZ replica. Taurus runs great. I have a pt709 and I love them, they are durable and ultra reliable, however their triggers are Sh!†. As I already have a pocket pistol in the pt709, no keltec for CCW interest me.

CZ/Commie guns are still sleepers even after all these years... there's so much here-say BS out there from people who don't really have any experience with them that a lot of guys won't even give them a chance. Jeff Cooper dug them for a reason...

The OP asked for where a 1911 and a Glock meet: that's a pre-B CZ IMHO. In SA with a good trigger it'll be crisp and easy to shoot like a good 1911 and it'll eat pretty much anything and run drama-free like a Glock.

I recommend CZCustom's competition hammer as it has a raised sear-bed, shorter hammer hooks, and comes already polished, it's pretty much a drop-in trigger-job that with a lighter hammer-spring will yield an honest-to-goodness 3lb creep-free glass-rod-breaking trigger without doing anything else, and DA will be around 6lbs and hang with a top-shelf revolvers pull.

Any experience with EAA?

Guest Bronker

I soooooo have to get with you on this. CZ75 SP-01 Phantom owner here.:D

I will beat Bronker and CK1 anyday with them using the CZ and me and my Witness match 9mm. The EAA Witness had feeding/nose diving problems a while back. The easiest fix is WOLF springs from Midway USA. I never had an issue since then. The new magazines supposedly fixed this problem but I refused to buy anymore mags.