Why isn't TN part of this?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it ever makes it to the Supreme Court, the mandate part of the law will be ruled unConstitutional(if the Justices go by the Constitution). Once that happens, they will have to seriously rework the whole thing since they are counting on fines from the mandate to pay for a large portion of the multi-trillion dollar act. I think there is a chance that it will be repealed in the next three years. A very slim chance. I wish TN would sign on too, but our current AG won't do it. And we are stuck with him until 2014.

That's because regardless what people want to believe all of the politicians are the same.
I would change the word "all" to "nearly all", but otherwise you are right. I do still have faith in a very few. But I haven't become so jaded that I don't think we can ever return to our origins as a nation. I am not entirely optimistic, but I still have hope. Here's hoping that the love of freedom, and the acceptance of the responsibility and accountability that it requires, is renewed in this country.
ObamaCare is totally FUBAR.

But it won't be repealed, GOP will just inject SNAFU into it.

Then we'll have SNAFUBAR, where absolutely everybody loses.

- OS

A brief and well put analysis of the situation. Quite the mess. As the Kenyan saying goes, "when the elephants fight, the grass suffers". Reckon I am feeling very fescue like right now...

The TN Attorney General would have to agree to have TN join the Florida suit, or start a new one. This is not going to happen until he gets replaced. Robert Cooper was Bredesen's legal counsel until appointed to the position of Attorney General in November 2006 to serve a 8-year term. So we are stuck with him until 2014. Cooper is not someone who will fight for states' rights.

I would change the word "all" to "nearly all", but otherwise you are right. I do still have faith in a very few. But I haven't become so jaded that I don't think we can ever return to our origins as a nation. I am not entirely optimistic, but I still have hope. Here's hoping that the love of freedom, and the acceptance of the responsibility and accountability that it requires, is renewed in this country.

Yes, very few. There are too many that are willing to compromise.

The TN Attorney General would have to agree to have TN join the Florida suit, or start a new one. This is not going to happen until he gets replaced. Robert Cooper was Bredesen's legal counsel until appointed to the position of Attorney General in November 2006 to serve a 8-year term. So we are stuck with him until 2014. Cooper is not someone who will fight for states' rights.

Best answer I've heard yet. I heard mentioned somewhere that TN didn't have the $$$ to get involved in a lawsuit. Oh? And all these other states are rolling in cash? :biglol:

ObamaCare is totally FUBAR.

But it won't be repealed, GOP will just inject SNAFU into it.

Then we'll have SNAFUBAR, where absolutely everybody loses.

- OS

Yep, it's all BS. The House Repubs KNOW that it can't be repealed. It's just a dog and pony show so they can appear to accomplish real work.

I disagree. It appears that for once the Republicans are actually doing something smart. This is a can't lose strategy for them.

1) There ARE ways to force it to a vote in the Senate. If the Senate votes it down, then you have 51 Senators on record supporting ObamaCare. Probably a third will be up for re-election in 21 months. It will only take FOUR to make a Republican majority!

2) If the Senate does vote to repeal it, then it goes to Obama. He can veto it, and probably will. Again, you have a number o0f Senators on record voting for ObamaCare that will have to defend their action for the next 21 months. Obama will then have to defend HIS veto as HE is up for re-election in 21 months as well!

3) If the Senate votes to repeal ObamaCare and Obama signs it, then we WIN!!!

4) If the Senate takes no action, then we still have almost 200 Democrat Representatives who voted not to repeal it, and ALL of them are up for re-election in 21 months.

Since when does 51 votes in the senate mean anything? Obama exposing himself as a supporter of Obamacare by veto? Hasn't he already exposed himself? This thing isn't gonna go away. They are going to have to fix it one piece at a time. That will require congress to do their jobs, which would be a miracle. Same old cheap tricks... same old crappy results.

I am fine with TN not wasting my money being part of this. Obamacare will never get totally repealed. At most we can hope for is some alterations to the existing plan. Some of the sections concerning small business will probably change. However things like dependents staying until 26, preventing preexisting conditions, and removing limits on benefits are here to stay.

A modification of the current bill would probably take less time than starting over, but they promised they would try.

• 3 weeks later...

3:42 AM, Feb. 8, 2011|

Tennessee Republicans have

proposed legislation that calls for

the state to join an interstate

compact challenging the new

federal health-care law.

Senate Speaker Ron Ramsey and

several members of the

Tennessee Tea Party joined

Senate sponsor Mae Beavers in

announcing the measure on

Monday.

The proposal would provide a

waiver for each participating state

to create its own health-care

system. The legislation would

have to be approved by Congress.

Last week, Tennessee Republican

Gov. Bill Haslam joined other

governors in asking President

Barack Obama to fast-track

Supreme Court consideration of

challenges to the federal health

care law.

Haslam in the letter urges Obama

to eliminate the "uncertainty"

about the future of the health-

care overhaul after two federal

court rulings that found the law

unconstitutional. Judges in two

other cases have upheld the law.

in todays Tennessean

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that healthcare costs too much, and health insurance excludes too many things, but I doubt Obamacare is the answer.

I do have VA healthcare, but I was looking into insurance plans, and for a 30 year old male that stays fit, rarely drinks, nonsmoker(1-2 cigs a day, close enough), the deductible was way too high, and the coverage was very restrictive, and just in general was not worth it at all.

Ok. My 2 cents:

The state of Tennessee does not need to SPEND tax payer's $ on joining lawsuits already established. Since 25 states have sued, I see little, to no, benefit for Tennessee to join, but I do see extra costs to us taxpayers, if Tennessee chooses to do so.

FYI: I believe there is a legal precedent in health care being a mandatory purchase. Who here is on Social Security? If you do NOT enroll in Medicare Part A, you lose your Social Security cash benefits... correct? In addition, if you want to discontinue Medicare Part A, you have to repay your SS benefits, plus any hospitalization paid for by Part A... In actuality, there is an active lawsuit over this: EDITORIAL: Medicare isn't mandatory - Washington Times

So, if this case fails, the precedent is there. Frightening.

Social Security and Medicare are not good analogies. The reason is that what is deducted from you paycheck is not an 'insurance premium'. It is a tax on your wages. Everyone pays the taxes regardless of whether they will ever be eligible for the benefits. If you want to receive Social Security or Medicare benefits, you have to apply for them separately. They are not automatic, and Congress can change the rules at any time with regard to who is eligible and what benefits can be received. You can also choose not to apply for Social Security or Medicare benefits.

ObamaCare is not a tax. You will pay actual premiums, and receive a 'policy' like any other form of insurance. The difference is that right now, you can choose how much health insurance you want, and what kind. For most of my life, I carried only 'major medical'. I was very healthy, and really only needed insurance for a major problem. This was very inexpensive. Under ObamaCare, nobody will have this option. It is a 'One Size Fits All' solution like most other government programs. as such, it will be very inefficient, liable for abuse, and cost several times more than we are being told.

Government has the authority to tax you for healthcare. But ObamaCare is NOT a tax. If it was, it would be Constitutional. That is the argument that the feds are trying to use in court. The problem is that the actual LAW states it isn't a 'tax', but a 'premium'. and the constitution does not grant government the authority to force individuals to 'buy' something.