Opinions on Muzzle-loaders

Guest mtaylor703

Guest mtaylor703

Thinking about a muzzleloader. Actually I can't stand it anymore for my brother to get in the woods before I do. Anyway, looking around and kind of lost so I thought I'd ask the experts. Looking for suggestions on a decent one not on the expensive side. Getting hard to justify with the boss especially talking about more time in the woods. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a CVA Wolf at Walmart a few years ago for a hundred and some odd dollars. I just wanted to see how it shot. It shot great! I love it. That would be my suggestion. It shoots good, has a good trigger, is drilled and tapped for a scope, is easy to clean, and easy to carry. It has a big fluffy recoil pad, that takes the punch out of shooting it.

IMG_3557.jpg

...and the proof is in the pudding.

Guest Jcochran88

I had an older model knight for years great gun. But this year upgraded to the thompson center endeavor all I can say is WOW!! 200 yard accuracy and the option to change barrels to centerfire, rimfire, or shotgun.

I have a older Rossi break action love it my brother has a Wolf and it shoots well. I think any break action style will serve you well. Don't leave out the pawn shops just do your homework on the new price so you will know what is a fair price for a used one. Take a bore light with you to check the bore now is the time to find a used one as the season is over.

Guest iiiuslonal

I have a Wolf as well, can I say it shoots great, umm no but it's nice to read that it would, had it for 4 years and it's never been fired. I actually bought it like most others to get into the woods sooner but complications occurred and the time never came. After a few years went by and I accumulated other varieties it kind of just sat back in the cabinet. I suppose I should actually get rid of it since I have never used it and have the ones I prefer to hunt with already.

Guest mtaylor703

I had hoped to get to the gun show this weekend to see what's out there but ended up having to go out of town instead. I figured there would be some good deals out there with the season just over but haven't found that yet so I guess there's no big hurry to buy one. Seems to be as many pros as cons for each one I read about no matter how expensive it is. I'll just close my eyes and try one. Thanks for the reply.

Just my opinion, but the stocks should be wooden, the barrels octagonal & the firing mechanism should be on the side. Ramrods should be wooden, propellant should be powdered & projectiles should be round & lead. The longer the barrel, the better!

Muzzleloader season, to my mind, should be re-classified as 'primitive muzzleloader' season. The lines between modern centerfires & modern muzzleloaders are a little too close these days. There's almost no need to own a cetrefire hunting gun anymore. Modern frontstuffers are just as accurate & near as dammit as quick to reload. To my mind, half the fun of muzzleloader hunting is getting in closer & making your one shot count, not having at 'em from 300 yards away. Not looking down or disparaging anyone's hunting choices, just my own observations & opinions & worth exactly what you're paying for them! :rolleyes:

Guest Jcochran88
Just my opinion, but the stocks should be wooden, the barrels octagonal & the firing mechanism should be on the side. Ramrods should be wooden, propellant should be powdered & projectiles should be round & lead. The longer the barrel, the better!

Muzzleloader season, to my mind, should be re-classified as 'primitive muzzleloader' season. The lines between modern centerfires & modern muzzleloaders are a little too close these days. There's almost no need to own a cetrefire hunting gun anymore. Modern frontstuffers are just as accurate & near as dammit as quick to reload. To my mind, half the fun of muzzleloader hunting is getting in closer & making your one shot count, not having at 'em from 300 yards away. Not looking down or disparaging anyone's hunting choices, just my own observations & opinions & worth exactly what you're paying for them! :rolleyes:

What's great is you have the choice to do that if you want. I see what your saying but then you get into the same thing with archery should it be only long bows , I think not but some people still think that crossbows should be illegal. Heck I say if it gets someone into the woods then let them use what ever they want.

• 2 weeks later...

Muzzleloader season, to my mind, should be re-classified as 'primitive muzzleloader' season. The lines between modern centerfires & modern muzzleloaders are a little too close these days. There's almost no need to own a cetrefire hunting gun anymore. Modern frontstuffers are just as accurate & near as dammit as quick to reload. To my mind, half the fun of muzzleloader hunting is getting in closer & making your one shot count, not having at 'em from 300 yards away. Not looking down or disparaging anyone's hunting choices, just my own observations & opinions & worth exactly what you're paying for them! :P

I've considered this for years, and I've decided that the in line muzzleloader concept goes back a long, long time. It's hard to draw a difinitive line in the regulation you propose. How far back do we go? Caplock? Flintlock? Wheellock? ROund ball only? I say the more sportsmen we get into the woods the better. A man can freely place self imposed restrictions on himself without interfering with others. I hunted with a sidelock for years, and really didn't feel handicapped by it. I went with the in line mainly for the ease of cleaning.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mtaylor703

Just an update. I did come across a Austin and Halleck 420. Had it for about a month now I guess. Took it to the woods last weekend to site in and shot it for the first time. Very impressed. Very happy with the purchase. Beautiful "curly maple" wood stock. Actually started refinishing it this weekend. Getting prettier all the time. Thanks for all the advise. Can't wait till muzzle loader season. No wait......it's almost turkey season. I'm good.

I have a .50 cal barrel that fits onto my Mossberg 500. It does fairly well but it's a bear to clean as it has no breech plug and the action has to be completely disassembled to clean it or you get gooey crap for days. Never hunted with it, I more so got it for the novelty.

Guest buttonhook

I have a cva magbolt 150 it's one of the first mag. bolt action ML's they came out with it cost less than $100 at the time shooting 348 grain aerotip powerbelts and 150 grains of pyrodex it is a tack driver out to about 200 yards! it does however beat the snot out of you!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a CVA Wolf which shoots great, also have a CVA Hawken thats a 1-66" twist which will do moa with patch and round ball if I do my part. I have as a spare a NEF Sidekick 50 cal that is a better shooter than I. As for bows I use a Bear Montana Longbow but have had compounds in the past and loved them. I'm actually thinking about getting a crossbow next season. I feel it doesn't matter what you shoot as long as you can make an ethical kill shot on your choice of target whether it be an animal or a piece of paper.:poop: As far as muzzleloaders start out less expensive then if you want to upgrade later you'll have a backup or an extra to take a friend with.

Just my opinion, but the stocks should be wooden, the barrels octagonal & the firing mechanism should be on the side. Ramrods should be wooden, propellant should be powdered & projectiles should be round & lead. The longer the barrel, the better! :)[/quote

Yup...and the lock should be flint!!

• Like 1

I've yet to figure out exactly where to draw the line, so I just use what's handy. If you really want to be primitive, run the deer down and beat them to death with a stick. The matchlock and wheellock preceded the flintlock. Is a rifled bore o.k., or should we all use smooth bore muskets? It's kind of like religion; each person needs to define that line for themselves.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Muzzleloader season, to my mind, should be re-classified as 'primitive muzzleloader' season. The lines between modern centerfires & modern muzzleloaders are a little too close these days. There's almost no need to own a cetrefire hunting gun anymore. Modern frontstuffers are just as accurate & near as dammit as quick to reload. To my mind, half the fun of muzzleloader hunting is getting in closer & making your one shot count, not having at 'em from 300 yards away. Not looking down or disparaging anyone's hunting choices, just my own observations & opinions & worth exactly what you're paying for them! :D

Couldn't have said it better myself. :cry::P

To each his own. I love my Savage 10 ML II smokeless muzzleloader. I get to shoot/hunt more and clean less. It still loads from the muzzle and you only have one shot. If a modern muzzleloader or crossbow gets somebody in the outdoors that wouldnt have been there otherwise, then thats a win for us all.

Good luck to everyone this season, no matter what weapon you choose.

Edited by Bad_Bowtie