Kimber purchase?

2000silverz28

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EasilyObsessed

What are you planning on using the gun for?

If you are going to carry it, pick up a alloy framed commander (pro).

If you just want a range gun, pick up a all steel government (full) size.

Magazines are interchangeable between the pro and government models. The officers model which has a shortened grip, uses a shorter magazine.

Compact Stainless II

(oh yeah, I highly recommend that even if you don't do magwells, switch out the main spring housing with a steel one. Kimber disappointed me by putting that on the gun. You can do an MSH alone or like mine as a one piece unit magwell and MSH. You can't see it but I really like the look as the MSH and Magwells are matte black and they look good against the satin SS)

Edited by Rightwinger

I just bought the Ultra Carry II stainless and love it!!! I have had no problems out of the gun just the cheap ammo I bought...everyone told me that Kimber didn't really like the cheap stuff, but I had to find out for myself. Good luck on your choice!!!

Guest atomemphis

The Pro Carry is great - I rented one that was incredibly dirty at the range and it shot beautifully.

So beautifully that I'm going to order one by month's end. Seriously.

The Pro Carry felt right. Full size grip, lightweight frame, 4" barrel. Great trigger.

Guest atomemphis
Compact Stainless II

(oh yeah, I highly recommend that even if you don't do magwells, switch out the main spring housing with a steel one. Kimber disappointed me by putting that on the gun. You can do an MSH alone or like mine as a one piece unit magwell and MSH. You can't see it but I really like the look as the MSH and Magwells are matte black and they look good against the satin SS)

What did you get for the magwell/msh? And where?

Guest atomemphis
Where are you buying yours and how much was it? I can get one for $769 plus tax. Just wondering if thats a fair price.

Here are the numbers I am looking at:

Model | Dealer Cost + Markup + Shipping from Kimber + Background

Pro Carry II | $613 + $50 + ~$50 + $10 = $723 plus tax

Pro Carry II Night Sights | $693 + $55 + ~$50 + $10 = $808 plus tax

Pro Carry II Stainless | $676 + $55 + ~$50 + $10 = $791 plus tax

Pro Carry II Stainless Night Sights | $756 + $60 + ~$50 + $10 = $876 plus tax

These are fairly accurate estimates from discussing it with my dealer. YMMV.

Edited by atomemphis
omitted blue w/ night sights info
Guest atomemphis

There's also the Pro CDP II.

I don't know the dealer cost / markup info on it.

However, it is nice: no rough edges, lowered and flared ejection port, night sights, redwood grips, magwell, etc. Its just a tuned up Pro Carry II, I believe. Some savings in getting in done at the factory all at once, they lead me to believe.

Guest EasilyObsessed
There's also the Pro CDP II.

I don't know the dealer cost / markup info on it.

However, it is nice: no rough edges, lowered and flared ejection port, night sights, redwood grips, magwell, etc. Its just a tuned up Pro Carry II, I believe. Some savings in getting in done at the factory all at once, they lead me to believe.

It also comes with the two tone finish, front strap checkering, and checking on the bottom of the trigger guard ( I have no idea why ). The ejection port should be the same as the Pro Carry II. Supposedly the gun also gets a bit of extra TLC in the custom shop, but Im not sure I believe that. It does still come with the plastic mainspring housing.

There is a Stainless Compact II on Gunbroker for $675 + ship used. Appears to be a very nice gun. I really like the SCII because it has the ultra carry grip but the 4" barrel(correct me if im mistaken) which for me seems to be the best combo. Not too big, but not too small either. My cousin has an Ultra Carry and even with the small barrel its a tack driver. Now I have heard reports though that Kimber customer service is a nightmare (thr.com)

Guest EasilyObsessed
Now I have heard reports though that Kimber customer service is a nightmare (thr.com)

I have had to deal with Customer Service twice now. Both times I sent them an email and got a phone call about 15 minutes later. The first time they sent out a new slidestop and I received it 3 days later.

The second time was for a broken ambi safety. Sent in the gun on a Monday, got it back the following Monday with two free magazines and they also tuned the extractor, refinished the barrel, and polished the feed ramp for free.

Some of the best customer service I have ever encountered....

I have had to deal with Customer Service twice now. Both times I sent them an email and got a phone call about 15 minutes later. The first time they sent out a new slidestop and I received it 3 days later.

The second time was for a broken ambi safety. Sent in the gun on a Monday, got it back the following Monday with two free magazines and they also tuned the extractor, refinished the barrel, and polished the feed ramp for free.

Some of the best customer service I have ever encountered....

Wow...that alone makes me want to buy one...thanks for clearing that up.