Play a game and learn how the poor have to live on what little they make...

Guest HvyMtl

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it is a bit pushed to make you fail, but it does bring the point across. (Seriously, the last time I was tested for typing, I was around 80wpm 99% correct, and I could not pass the typing test to be a temporary.)

And the total lack of luck for the person is crazy. And the lack of a "no car" option is not the best case either, as many poor forgo the expense of personal transportation (reasons made obvious with the game.)

That game is dumb, and proves no point at all.

Amen. Real life sucks sometimes and other times it's all right. This game makes it suck all the time. Yes, if the world actually was out to get you then you'd be screwed. I've lived at close to the $1000/month income level and made it. I have been blessed recently though, so I am lucky. I know I could do it again if I was forced though.

I believe that even with our blessings and hard work we have all been one mistake or bad decision away from being screwed whether it be long or short term. I've been around this site long enough to know that there are some really hard working people here, but I also know that not everything is under our control.

+1 LINKS2K. And to add this one thing: Most of us here are one health issue away from bankruptcy, or being in a position where the choice is food or medication...

The game puts the point out there of how difficult it is to make a living on a mere $9 an hour. Just think how much harder it would be on $7.25 an hour (minimum wage...)

Sad that many cannot get a wage that pays enough to make a living. (A living in my book = pay rent, pay car note, pay health insurance,pay required car insurance, pay utilities, pay for food,pay for plain old telephone service, not extras, such as, cable tv, Iphone, vacations, hot Mustang instead of a Kia, caviar instead of peanut butter...)

Edited by HvyMtl

While it may be eye openeing to some, it is weighted to make a point. I have consistently lived below the poverty line (according to the government) at points in my life and never used assitance nor considered myself poor. Is it easy? No. Is it ideal? No. I have also worked two or three jobs and been creative with the other stuff. Does it leave little margin for error? Absolutley, just means you have to be on your toes and find a way. America is about FINDING a way. Not someone giving you a car to get there.

The game puts the point out there of how difficult it is to make a living on a mere $9 an hour. Just think how much harder it would be on $7.25 an hour (minimum wage...)

Sad that many cannot get a wage that pays enough to make a living. (A living in my book = pay rent, pay car note, pay health insurance,pay required car insurance, pay utilities, pay for food,pay for plain old telephone service, not extras, such as, cable tv, Iphone, vacations, hot Mustang instead of a Kia, caviar instead of peanut butter...)

Then you fail to understand what minimum wage is for. If you're still making minimum wage well past the "college years", that is your fault, not anyone else. If you can't find a job where you are - move to where the jobs are. If you want to make more money than your current job, your "second job" should be a 2-3-5 year plan to make you a more marketable (and consequently more valuable) employee. That might be college, that might be apprenticing to learn a trade, that might mean you wear out the local library reading everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - you can get your hands on in regards to a field you want to go into.

Donald Trump has been bankrupt more times than I can count. Why do you think he keeps coming back and making the big bucks? Because he decided to, that's why.

I met a 17 year old girl the other day at Waffle House, who was in HS with straight A's, working 40 hour weeks and Waffle House AND Sonic. Her dad was out of work, and she was pitching in to help the family get by (she also mentioned a deadbeat 19 year old brother). You think she's going to make minimum wage forever? Nope. That kind of drive is what caused people to excel.

I know "stuff happens", but the mentality that a disabling injury or "bad luck" is just around the corner means you are already looking for failure. Take charge of your future and MAKE IT HAPPEN. Good stuff doesn't fall into people's laps by accident, you have to go out and get it.

The game is not close to real. there were a lot of other choices that can be made that are not mentioned. Car? why not take a bus.

Why not work 2 Jobs... like no one would ever do that...... There are other options.

What was the deal with you finding an apartment, then they immediately raise the rent on you? Hello? That is what a CONTRACT is for ;)

And the arbitrary sliding scale that you could only find more expensive rent closer to work, as if there aren't deals to be had out there?

I pretty much closed the tab on the browser at that point, not even worth finishing just to see them make EVERY choice go wrong.

It makes a point but its stupid as well -- who waits until they have no home, $1000 total to start looking for work? You start looking before you get that low, or you *will* be messed up. It assumes you have no degree/skills, but doenst offer you a school option. dumb.