Kahr MK9 or SigP238

tentiger

Looking at a lightly used Kahr MK9...love the size and the feel, sights; overall seems to be great on the quality scale. I read mostly positive comments other than that the mk is heavy compared to the plastic P9. And they are pricey. It's the weight that concerns me, but I do not carry everyday. My alternative is a new Sig P238..equal on quality, equally pricey but certainly smaller and about 8 oz lighter..Kahr DOA would be new to me, as is the 1911 type safety on the Sig... I'm on the fence....9mm is is an advantage for the Kahr.....Currently a Baby Glock 27 /SW M&P9 owner ...but looking for something more concealable...I just can't bring myself to buy an LCP ish pocket mouse gun that is no fun to shoot.

Enjoy this Forum and would appreciate all suggestions....

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the same boat, I ended up going with the pm9. I paid $100 more but worth it. .380 ammo is $5 more per box of HP ammo and $3 per fmj. 20-30 boxes of ammo later and it's no longer about cost of the more expensive gun. Just caliber preference and ease of shooting. I got the PM9 only because I'm so damn impatient. I will likely find myself with a Kimber solo if they start going for $570 or so.

Before you worry about caliber or size, I'd consider the trigger systems your looking at. Your comparing apples to oranges here. Sure...size wise they are in the same league, but you are comparing a striker fired DAO (kahr,) to a hammer fired SAO (sig). Are you ok with carrying a gun cocked and locked? If your a 1911 guy your used to it, but since you said you have a Glock and M&P...your used to striker DAO. Its a little different feeling trigger (longer travel)...but the Kahr would be inline with what pistol nomenclature you already know and have experience with.

I have both PM9 and SigP238. The Sig is easy to conceal and you can carry cocked and locked. The Double action trigger of the Kahr is one of the best and it packs more wallop in caliber size. Both are expensive, both are good quality.

Good luck with your choice!

Well...decision was made for me....Kahr MK9 sold, so I bought the SigP238...basic Nitron with night sights...very happy with feel, size, weight and sight line... looking forward to the range. I do like the Kahrs, though. fondled a p380 before I made the decision, but the sig just felt better for me and it was about $30 less WITH the night sights. Had a 'born on' date of 1/4/11, so should be good to go.

Thanks all...I think we all appreciate the quality pieces.

Afraid I don't get the reasoning of IWB for a .380.

- OS

Sometimes I just feel like traveling light and need my pocket space. Light, comfortable, and I get to use my pockets for other stuff.

You're right though, I generally carry it as a backup in a pocket holster and wear my 1911 IWB.

Especially in cooler weather when I have coat pockets available.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Afraid I don't get the reasoning of IWB for a .380.

- OS

i've gotta side with the OP on this one. I really don't like pocket carry for anything but a cell phone and keys. Maybe its what i'm used to but i go for my pockets for my phone, keys, and change. If it hits the fan i know my firearm is around 4 o'clock. I don't want to change up what i know. I even carry my p3at and pf-9 iwb. Personally, i dont like pocket carry for my application. However, i know many don't like OWB carry. I guess it just depends on application and training.

gun%20picspics for proof! I hear the Nemesis is a good packet holster for this pistol....?

The Nemesis should work fine. I really like the P238. I used to have a Ruger LCP and, while it was a fine weapon, the sights and overall feel of the P238 is just superior. Then again, the price tag is "superior" as well.

i've gotta side with the OP on this one. I really don't like pocket carry for anything but a cell phone and keys. Maybe its what i'm used to but i go for my pockets for my phone, keys, and change. I...

My only point was that if one is going to take the trouble to carry IWB, might as well up the ante some in caliber and round count.

- OS

My only point was that if one is going to take the trouble to carry IWB, might as well up the ante some in caliber and round count.

- OS

I certainly didn't take your post to mean I was "wrong" to carry the P238 IWB. Just that it doesn't make sense for you. If we all carried the same caliber in the same way all the time, TGO might just get boring.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

I certainly didn't take your post to mean I was "wrong" to carry the P238 IWB. Just that it doesn't make sense for you. If we all carried the same caliber in the same way all the time, TGO might just get boring. ..

And I get that it's a sometimes thing for you, not the predominant way you carry that little popper. :D

But sure, whatever floats one's boat; what and how one carries is nobody else's concern.

I've mainly carried an XD9 SC over the last couple years (avatar), but for some time now because of regular gym visits where carry isn't posted but guns are known not to be welcome, I've opted for my Kahr PM9 in pocket instead. But I wouldn't consider carrying it IWB since it's just as easy to carry the XD that way, with the added comfy factor of 14 rounds vs 7.

- OS