Taurus Slim PT709 9MM

Grunt67

Anyone have any hands on experience with this gun? Been trying to find a small

gun for my wife. She had a Taurus PT24/7 40 S&W. Too much gun for her, size

wise..weight, recoil, etc. She picked up the Slim at the gun show @ fairgrounds

yesterday, great fit for her. Issue is, reports vary widely on the reliability of this

gun on various forums, plus Taurus gets mixed reviews on customer service when

there is a problem. Personally, I really like the way the gun is made, feels good

striker fired, good safety issues, low cost, etc. Just don't want any FTF, FTE,

FTC issues that I've read about.

This gun was a 9MM, which would be easier on recoil.

Just don't need the aggravation of dealing with an unreliable gun.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FiddleDog

I've had some experience with the 709. It's a soft shooting gun, and I thought that the fit and finish on it was very good. Taurus makes a good gun, and stands behind their product. I'd recommend one. Taurus gets the short end of the gun snob stick and a you'll hear a lot of stories about people who had a buddy that knew a guy that had one fail. I'd check out the Taurus forum and see what the folks there have to say. The FTFs can usually be addressed with Breakfree CLP as Taurus packs their guns with an excessive amount of cosmoline - FTCs can usually be tracked down to the magazine spring and/or feed ramp, and the FTEs...hmm...not sure about those. I just let go of a Kahr p45 because of that.

I've moved away from Taurus because of all the stories that I had heard from someone that knew a buddy who was friends with a guy blah blah blah, even that I had zero issues with either my pt111 or my pt1911 in over 1k rounds per weapon.

Taurus makes a good gun with good QC, excellent ergs, the best warrantee in the business, they share a history with S&W, and they are sensitive to working folks who, even though they agree that it's worth $500+ for a tool to protect themselves and their family, have to keep an eye on their own budget.

They do tend to jump the gun on new designs, so you do see some birthing pains with new designs or new materials and technologies. The 709 has had some time to work out most of the design kinks that may have popped up by now.

I REALLY REALLY liked mine. Except the trigger. Problem is that I have 1911's and I love the SA clean break. It concealed well and shot a little low. Very good groups. Did shoot very soft. Almost a fun range gun. The pf9 pinky extension fits on the mags. Never had any issues out of them. IMO, if taurus spent more time on their triggers they would be perfect.

I've had some experience with the 709. It's a soft shooting gun, and I thought that the fit and finish on it was very good. Taurus makes a good gun, and stands behind their product. I'd recommend one. Taurus gets the short end of the gun snob stick and a you'll hear a lot of stories about people who had a buddy that knew a guy that had one fail. I'd check out the Taurus forum and see what the folks there have to say. The FTFs can usually be addressed with Breakfree CLP as Taurus packs their guns with an excessive amount of cosmoline - FTCs can usually be tracked down to the magazine spring and/or feed ramp, and the FTEs...hmm...not sure about those. I just let go of a Kahr p45 because of that.

I've moved away from Taurus because of all the stories that I had heard from someone that knew a buddy who was friends with a guy blah blah blah, even that I had zero issues with either my pt111 or my pt1911 in over 1k rounds per weapon.

Taurus makes a good gun with good QC, excellent ergs, the best warrantee in the business, they share a history with S&W, and they are sensitive to working folks who, even though they agree that it's worth $500+ for a tool to protect themselves and their family, have to keep an eye on their own budget.

They do tend to jump the gun on new designs, so you do see some birthing pains with new designs or new materials and technologies. The 709 has had some time to work out most of the design kinks that may have popped up by now.

You're right about the stories you hear, not always reliable, sometimes the problem

is the fault of the owner as well. The 24/7 she had worked really well, no problems.

I really like shooting it, but just not for her.

If the gun has been on the market for a while, the problems may have been addressed.

Hadn't seen a date on when they arrived on the market.

I'll check out the Taurus forum & see what's being said there.

Thanks,

Larry

I bought a used one off the classifieds here back in Dec. (Remember, Taurus warranty extends to future owners as well!) It's a joy to shoot. Easy on recoil, and after putting 300 to 400 rounds thru it, I can't complain. Had a couple of failures because I hit the mag release button with my big meathooks, my fault. I think I've had the slide lock back with one round left in the mag twice. That's it. It does shoot a little low, but I took the front sight off and whittled a bit off the bottom. Haven't been back to the range yet, but I suspect it will help. Even my 15 year old loves shooting it!

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

I came very near to picking up the Taurus a little while back, but ended up choosing the Kahr CW9 instead. I was looking for something nice and thin that could be worn well IWB without breaking the bank. I got scared off of the Taurus by the QC problem stories I kep reading about online (not about Taurus, per se, but about the then-just-out 709 Slim). By now hopefully the kinks should be worked out. Sounds like it's just about exactly what you and your wife are looking for!

The wife got one -- or rather, the wife had me get one for her. Same story. Took her to a few gun shows so that she could pick out "her" gun. She liked the 709's "feel" and size.

Long story short is that she's pretty good with it. No problems at all. No malfunctions at all. Me? I don't care too much for it. The grip doesn't fit me, but then again, I didn't get it for me. She alternates carry with a S&W 637, depending on what she's wearing. And for the record, she's pretty good with the Smith as well.

I musta done a really good job teaching her to shoot, cause she outshoots me. And I'd guess that the 709 has had about 500 +/- rounds down it so far, and again, all without a single hiccup.

I have one, and its functioned fine on just cheap target ammo. I have not shot a LOT of defense ammo thru it but it functioned on the couple of magazines I tried. The gun is reliable enough to carry IMHO, but you want to be aware of limp-wrist problems (same as any plastic 9mm, really).

I would recommend this gun, however the lightweight/small frame make for obnoxious (for a 9mm) recoil (its about double the felt recoil of a full sized heavy 9mm) and its low capacity make it little better than a revolver. The trigger is glockish, longish pull but low weight. It will kick less than what she is used to in that .40 caliber, but try one out before you buy it, is my advice.

Thanks, folks, for all the input. My situation is about the same as SafeAndSecure. LOL

Wife really likes it, so I may just give it a shot(pun). Should have been out long enough

now to have the bugs worked out, as someone else suggested.

Now if I can just find a way to get her to pay for it & the ammo, etc.......

Guest 1817ak47

I have 2, though one will be sold since wife ran off. both stainless. the one that i bought new I have put 200 maybe little more through it not an issue. never shot the 2nd one though

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

I bought my wife several different guns including the Taurus. Once she tried the Sig P238 w/laser she was hooked. She loves this gun.

I have the 740 slim and it is a good conceal gun.I have put 600 rounds down range with it and no problems so far.Its not much of a soft shooter like the 709 and not my favorite range gun,but my 15 year old son love to shoot it.It does have some kick.

• 2 months later...
Guest cobaltac184

I do, I have had one for a little over a year, and I am trying to get rid of it....I also have a Diamond Back DB380....Both would be good, and I am asking 290 for the taurus, and 290 for the DiamondBack. They are both very good pistols. The taurus is a clean shooter and accurate. It also has a lock key so you can lock the slide so someone cant take it and plug you with it. I am adding the leather IWB holster for free, the Diamondback is a clean little shooter too. The only reason I am getting rid of it is my hands are too big for it, I love both of the guns, but I am moving to a Glock. If you are interested let me know, I can work with you if you are interested

I do, I have had one for a little over a year, and I am trying to get rid of it....I also have a Diamond Back DB380....Both would be good, and I am asking 290 for the taurus, and 290 for the DiamondBack. They are both very good pistols. The taurus is a clean shooter and accurate. It also has a lock key so you can lock the slide so someone cant take it and plug you with it. I am adding the leather IWB holster for free, the Diamondback is a clean little shooter too. The only reason I am getting rid of it is my hands are too big for it, I love both of the guns, but I am moving to a Glock. If you are interested let me know, I can work with you if you are interested

Not a bad price on the 709. My wallet is tight at the present or I'd be interested

in having a look.

Glad to have another old 25th brother on TGO. Thanks for your service.