New-to-me CZ-52

After looking for a reasonable priced CZ-52 for a couple of years, I finally got my hands on one. I owe a huge thanks to gregintenn, who saw it and let me know.

I got about 70 rounds of ammo, 50 pieces of unused Starline brass, 2 boxes Hornady bullets, full set of reloading dies/shell plate for 7.62, an original holster with 1953 stamped in the leather, the original cleaning rod, 2 mags, the pistol made in 1953, and dig this...it also came with a barrell to convert it to 9mm for $250. I thought it was a pretty good deal, especially since the finish is excellent.

CZ-52.jpg

CZ-52holsterandaccessories.jpg

CZ-52manual.jpg

Now I just need to get me some wood grips and I'll be in business.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely disassembled it for inspection/cleaning this weekend and took it out to the range today. It's a shooter, keeping a 14 out of 16 shots inside a couple inches at 10 yds. I'm sure the 2 fliers were me, not the gun, but they weren't really all that far off. If I included them the group would've been around 4".

It sounds like a hand cannon going off and has fairly stiff recoil too. It feels about like shooting .357's in my SP101.

Sounds like you got a great deal, especially with the added 9mm bbl. I think they are great pistols. Cheap to shoot with surplus ammo and pretty dang accurate. Even out to 100 yards they will make you look good! Only a couple of issues I've had with mine, I've got two. If shooting at a range be careful with other shooters to the right, CZs fling the brass a good 10-15 ft. Second, I have trouble with my thumb knuckle (right handed) working up the safety just enough to keep the trigger from moving. Usually happens after firing a few rounds and the recoil causes the problem. I've considered taking it apart and seeing if I could make the fire detent a little stiffer, but have not done it. I've never had a ftf or any kind of failure. Have heard of firing pins breaking. I've probably shot 1000+ rnds. through mine. It's one of the guns I always take to the range.

I'd suggest you order a firing pin for it, unless it's already been changed. I bought two of them, and within a box of shells, I had to replace two firing pins. The replacement pins will last. I guess the original were brittle or something. I bought two of them; same as new, for $70 at an auction. That was several years back. Also, don't forget that the milsurp ammo is corrosive, so clean it after shooting any.

Edited by gregintenn
Cant wait till my c&r comes in. I really want one of these bad!!

I started looking for one before I got my C&R and the only luck I had was GunBroker.com (most were >$300 and not in great shape). The import cycle of these guns is probably over now, so you won't likely find any for sale other than through these kind of private sales.

Afterall, there were only 200K of these beauties made for the Czech army and I think almost all of them were imported to the U.S., but not positive. They must have been wary of getting rid of them, b/c they warehoused the stash for over 10 yrs after they were replaced by the CZ-82 before they sold the 52's off. At the time there were about 200K troops, so I suspect the same will happen to the CZ-82 too.

I had a chance or 2 to get one recently, but they were in bad shape AND overpriced. I hope you find one easier than I did, but be patient and get a good one or it will ruin the mystique.

one word of caution. DO NOT trust the de-cocker. it is common for the weapon to discharge when using it. that being said it is an amazing weapon try it at 100 yard the ones i have fired are bad. with practice one doesnt need a rifle at that range

one word of caution. DO NOT trust the de-cocker. it is common for the weapon to discharge when using it. that being said it is an amazing weapon try it at 100 yard the ones i have fired are bad. with practice one doesnt need a rifle at that range

+1. DOn't ask why I have a dent in the side of my safe.:)

I heard about the decocker issue, which really sucks, b/c I'm a big fan of decockers. The instructor had us shoot a steel popper at 100 yds with one of my other CZ's (P-01) when I took a defensive handgun class once. I was impressed with it. I would imagine the 52 could do it more easily with the potency of that cartridge.

+1. DOn't ask why I have a dent in the side of my safe.:)

Sorry to hear you found out the hard way, glad nobody was hurt.

Mine has the original firing pin, so no dry-firing for me until I get it replaced.

Guest mikedwood

I love my CZ52 so much I got a 2nd, congrats on finding a great gun.

That 7.62x25 is a monster round. If you are in dim lighting the sucker will throw a 2 foot flame and impress. I use to go to Coal Creek with my 9 mm and feel less than because all the 45's there. That ended when I got my CZ. A guy put his .45 down and came and asked what I was shooting :) Rumor has it the Tok round will shoot through a bus front to back (engine block and all), while that isn't true the website theboxotruth.com did some pistol penetration testing with a kevlar helment and check out the CZ52 results The Box O' Truth #29 - The Helmets O' Truth - Page 3

Sorry to rattle on I love the CZ52.

Hi, new to the forum. I have had my 52 for a couple months and really like it. Found a very nice one on Gun Broker. Installed the #2 competition kit from Harrington and very impressed with the results.(no connection to Harrington) My Son did the same and is equally impressed. If there is a Z stamped on the l side of the trigger guard, the decocker has been modified to work correctly. Double check it to be sure by placing a pencil in the barrel, point upward and decock. If the pencil moves you have a problem with the decocker. I also have the Yugo, Norinco and Romanian tokarev models. The Romanian is the most accurate of all.

Cheers

Dave