Remington 700 model question

Guest MIKEMAC

Guest MIKEMAC

If I want a fairly long range Remington 700 in .308, what model should I look in to? There are SPS's, BDL's, Varmit's, ect. If anyone has any good advice, please let me know. Remington just gives me too many choices.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll
What kind of stock do you want? Wood? Synthetic? Laminate?

What length barrel do you want?

What profile barrel do you want?

Do you want stainless, parked or blued metal?

Answer these questions and then narrow your options down from there.

Budget as well.

Guest PerazziTM1

Tell us a little more about your planned use. Bench shooting, hunting, varmits,.... What's best for one is not best for all.... That one reason they make many different models.

Good Luck,

Welcome to TGO

I have the LTR, SPS Tact, SPS Varmit, and the 700 P. (all in .308)

All are great shooters. If you go the SPS Varmit you will need to add an aftermarket stock. The one that comes with it is trash. In a good stock it will get you into the "long range" game at a fair price.

The SPS Tact stock is not much better and I would change it out too...

The LTR comes with a HS Percision stock and they are better than what comes on the others.

The LTR is my favorite but I have mine jazzed up a bit.

The 700 P is a good option too... HS Stock but may not be worth the extra $$$ these days.

If I had to start over and go with only one... I would go SPS Varmit, McMillian stock, and good glass/rings/base.

Guest MIKEMAC

Wow, so many options. The longest shots I have ever taken have been at 100 yards. I would like to be able to shoot 3-5 hundred yards with some practice. I am not a hunter at all. I found a good deal on a SPS Tactical and am going to purchase it today. My friend does a gun show on TV that airs on Wednesday nights and he told me that he would like to see me change out the stock to something that accepts box magazines. Is a really expensive scope neccessary to shoot in the 3-5 hundred yard range? I have a $100 scope that I currently have on a Mosin Nagant that is a 4-16 power that I would like to reuse as I have 2 very small children and the budget is a concern. Also, are there any places in middle TN that I can go to shoot further than 100 yards? Thank you for all of your time and help.

Is a really expensive scope neccessary to shoot in the 3-5 hundred yard range?

Yes, it is as important (if not more) than the quality of the rifle.

Talk is cheap, but 300-500 yards is a long way.

Also, are there any places in middle TN that I can go to shoot further than 100 yards? Thank you for all of your time and help.

Terry Walden’s in Manchester is a 300 Meter unsupervised range. But it’s pretty hard to get a spot on the weekends when the weather is good.

Scopes and rings are a very importart part of you rifle for long range shooting. Can you get by with a 100 dollar scope, yes.... A higher end scope sure makes it easier to shoot at those distances. That being said if you are going to shoot 300-500 yard with that scope get used to holding over or it will be a real pain to dial in your elevation every time. If this just has crosshaird, holding over can be difficult yet not impossible once you get used to shooting with it. Practice , Practice, Practice.

• 5 months later...

buy an old remington with either no letter prefix or an a or b prefix i prefer a long action even for 308 but each his own. then put a good barrel on it if you want a top of the line sinper rifle it wont have a factory barrel on it i like hart but there again each his own.

put a good stock on it i like mcmillen and a good triger i like jewell then optics nightforce seems to be the rage right now i still like my super sniper or leupold then you will have a state of the art sniper rifle btw dont take my word for it ask kenny jarret or the folks at ft benning thats what they use old remingtons with hart barrels and jewell trigers