Tell me about Binoculars

I would like to pick up some binos. I do not want to spend a small fortune. What would be the best value in a good set of binos? These will be going with me to Afghanistan.

*While I greatly appreciate the kind words I only bring it up so you know they need to be rugged and light. Don't thank me. I am only doing my job.*

Edited by Daniel
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

I really like the Leupold Acadia 10x42's I got recently - around $220?

Make sure that you at least look through a decent set of binoculars before you select a pair. Just like scopes, there really is a difference.

I think the biggest thing other than the optical quality of the glass is making sure you match up the magnification with acceptable brightness - mainly coming from the objective size. My 10x42s are roughly twice as bright as a pair of 10x25s. To get the same bright image, you would have to step down to a 5x magnification. Same thing going up the scale. If I increased my magnification to 20x, but still kept the 42mm objective, I would lose half of my brightness. Other than expecting a $15 set of Bushness 6x24s to have as good an image as a good pair, I think this is the biggest trade off people unknowingly make. We all want magnification, but that highly magnified image is worthless unless you've got enough brightness to make it out.

I would like to pick up some binos. I do not want to spend a small fortune. What would be the best value in a good set of binos? These will be going with me to Afghanistan.

Regardless of what binoculars you choose, please stay safe over there.

Guest Lester Weevils

Yeah, a bigger objective also makes for bigger-heavier binocs.

Bigger objectives are better for low-light conditions.

Many folks think that a magnification greater than 10X or 12X is too jiggly for hand-held use, but a skilled operator might get good results with higher handheld magnification.

===

There are some zoom binocs. I bought the wife a Nikon small-objective zoom binoc that is just cute as a bug convenient, but the high mag settings are only useful on a bright day.

Most zoom binocs and scopes have an oddity with apparent field of view which is innate to typical optical designs-- When zoomed for low magnification, the apparent field of view is narrow. When zoomed for high mag, the apparent field of view gets wider. So at low power you are looking thru a soda straw, but at high power the eye sees a wide image.

FAS Fact Page

True_Field_of_View ~= Apparent_Field_of_View / Magnification

Typical Zoom eyepiece Apparent Field of View may be in the the ballpark of 40 degrees at low power and 65 degrees at high power.

So if the zoom is adjustable between 8X and 24X, then the True Field of View at low power would be (40 / 8) = 5 degrees. But at high power, True Field of View would be (65 / 24) = 2.7 degrees.

This feature of typical zoom optics tends to somewhat defeat the potential advantage of zoom optics. You can't see a dramatically wider true field when you zoom out and the image you see gets smaller when you zoom out.

===

There are also (expensive) image-stabilized binocs that might be nice.

Maybe stuck out in the wilds, anything that can break would be a bad thing, including image-stabilizers or zoom mechanisms?

Depends on what you think you'll be doing with them.

Magnification (1st number) - If you'll be scanning an area, high mag means you'll be doing more panning with your head because you'll usually see less horizontally than a comparable set with lower mag. Higher mag would be better for watching a specific spot.

Objective (2nd number)- Too big, and you're carrying extra weight you don't need, and can damage your eyes in bright daylight unless you use sunglasses. Too small and you'll have trouble picking out details in low light environments.

I have this pair of Nikon Action Extreme 10x50. They're great for night, but I wouldn't want to add their weight to an already heavy pack. I use them for stargazing and I wear sunglasses when watching a bright moon with these if that helps understand how much brightness they have. I wouldn't use them in daylight w/o sunglasses for any prolonged or repeated periods of time.

Amazon.com: Nikon 7245 Action Ex Extreme 10 X 50 mm All Terrain Binoculars: Camera & Photo

This is a good price on a Nikon Action Extreme 7x35. In my opinion, that's a nice compromise of size, magnification and brightness. I've bought "Demo" stuff from them before and it has always looked like new in box stuff. The Demo ones are $69.99

Nikon - CameraLand NY

If I remember correctly, The Nikon ATB (all terrain binocs), incl. the Action Extreme line, are suppoosed to be more dust/water resistant than their regular stuff. That may be of interest to you. The Action Extremes add adjustable eye pieces that make using them with glasses/sunglasses easier.

Daniel, once you have it narrowed down to a few, check out opticsplanet.net. Their specs are usually pretty good. I like that they show weight and Field of View in their specs. The redfields that Greg mentioned are just over half the weight of the Nikons I suggested, but the Nikons have a wider field of view. If I was lugging them around a lot, I'd go for the lighter ones.

RedfieldRebel 8x32 that gregintenn mentioned

Redfield Rebel 8x32mm Binocular FREE S&H 67610. Redfield Rebel Binoculars, Redfield Binoculars.

Nikon AE 7x35

Nikon 7x35 Action Extreme Waterproof Binoculars 7237 FREE SHIPPING 7x35mm Best Binocular SALE, Nikon 7 x 35 Binoculars, Nikon Waterproof Binocular

Edited by monkeylizard

I have tried many different brands of binoculars and a Leica 8x42 is my favorite. But they're heavy and expensive.

The pair that I use the most a Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42. They also come in 8x42. It does most of what the Leica does, but at half the weight and 1/6 the price. I've carried them backpacking and bouncing around in the cab of a truck and haven't been damaged them yet. They have decent built-in lens covers for both the objective and eye lenses.

Some of the lowest prices I found on Google are from Adorama. I have ordered from them in the past with no problems.

10x42's

7432 Nikon 10 x 42 Monarch ATB Binocular, Black, U.S.A

7525 Nikon 10 x 42 Monarch ATB Binocular, Realtree Camouflage, U.S.A

8x42's

7430 Nikon 8 x 42 Monarch ATB Water Proof Roof Prism Binocular with 6.3° Angle of View, Black, U.S.A

7524 Nikon 8 x 42 Monarch ATB Water Proof Roof Prism Binocular with 6.3° Angle of View, Realtree Camouflage, U.S.A

Guest Sgt. Joe
Regardless of what binoculars you choose, please stay safe over there.

THIS^^^^^^ Please be careful and get back soon.:rolleyes:

I took a pair of Bushnell 10x25 on my trip to the other sandbox, they are not the strongest longest reaching set but they are about the size of my hands, added very little weight and served me well.

Mine are a rather older version (10-12years) and I did not see them on Bushnells website but they do have several compact models and I do think a compact pair of any brand will serve you better overall than a full sized set will.

Some others with me who took full size ones ended up leaving them behind on missions due to the size and weight.

Again....Please be careful and THANK YOU for what you are doing.:usa: