The Open Carry Thread

Guest Overtaker

rab, one reason they wrote the law that way is in case the wind blows your shirt or vest or coat back and, someone sees your gun. In some states, you WILL be in trouble for that but, not in good ole Tennessee!

Thus, the possibility for open carry exists by the way the law reads.

Guest Broomhead
WalMart is not "pro open carry". The last corporate statement I saw is that they allow concealed carry according to the law of the state in which a store resides, but that they also reserve the right to have customers cover a visible handgun or leave the store if it creates a problem with other customers.

Costco had the same policy until Lenny Baby made an open carry scene in one in Nashville; now they are all posted statewide against carry period.

- OS

Early, early, early last year, before they put up the "illegal" postings, I was shopping at the newer Costco in Nashville West. I was with my wife and both of the girls. I was wearing khaki pants, decent shoes, and a button up shirt (it was not tucked in). IMHO, I looked like an ordinary, everyday family man. It just so happened that I was OCing. As we walked out after checking out, a female associate said, "Oh My God!!! He's got a gun!!!" She then proceeded to freak out and run to the ladies' room, for what I assume was "safety."

Two days later, while I was getting gas, another of the associates I'm friends with and that I talk to whenever I get gas, who knows that I carry, told me that they just got new signs prohibiting guns in the store. He also mentioned that they were told that it applied to all areas of the store, even the gas pumps. I chuckled and said I'd look at it. I told him basically that it was miss-worded and had no legal backing. I also said that it only applies to the building because that was where it was posted. I said that every parking lot entrance would have to have a posting with the correct wording. To this day, nothing has changed with their postings or policies after the signage was put in place.

In 2009, Marshalls in Nashville West called the LEOs on me while I was in their store with my family. They never said one word to be, though I did see the manager and another customer whispering and gesticulating in my direction. We finished our shopping and went to Ross nest door. Next thing I know, 4 LEOs come bursting into Ross. They make a B-line straight for me. They were very professional and didn't disarm me, they just asked for my permit and ID. I obliged, the first one to arrive asked me how I was carrying. I showed him, my gun was in a leather holster clipped inside my back pocket, just 1/2" of the butt of the pistol was showing. He said I should never carry like that and should not carry it visibly ever. He said the customer at Marshalls saw the butt of my pistol and genuinely freaked out. He got the manager to call 911 on me.

Another time, while we were baby shopping for our youngest daughter who had yet to come out, we went to Babies R Us. We about 100ft in the building and the manager came running up to me and asked if I had a permit to carry a gun. I told him that I did indeed have a permit to carry. He said that I was "scaring" his staff and some of the customers. I pulled my shirt down around my gun to conceal it and I asked if that would be better. He agreed and the family and I went on our way shopping through the store.

BTW, my appearance for all of these instances was slightly, very slightly, less than business casual (I don't like to tuck in my shirt). It amazes me that people are such sheep; unable to make a competent, logical, intelligent decision for themselves. They have a mentality in which everything they see on TV is true, whether it was fiction or not. They automatically, without a single thought otherwise, see someone with a gun and panic, which makes others panic as well. Shouldn't they have a law against something like that? Oh wait they do, it's called inciting a riot.

I saw a gentleman, in his mid- to late-twenties, grocery shopping with his wife and 2 young children. He was OCing a Glock (IIRC) though I didn't catch which model. I was amazed, literally floored, that his pistol stayed in it's holster and didn't jump out and start shooting random bystanders. It was a miracle to me.

Guest TargetShooter84
Around town and most def out of town I conceal. Just more comfy for me that way. No reason to attract attention sometimes.

That's how I roll.

Guest Overtaker
Early, early, early last year, before they put up the "illegal" postings, I was shopping at the newer Costco in Nashville West. I was with my wife and both of the girls. I was wearing khaki pants, decent shoes, and a button up shirt (it was not tucked in). IMHO, I looked like an ordinary, everyday family man. It just so happened that I was OCing. As we walked out after checking out, a female associate said, "Oh My God!!! He's got a gun!!!" She then proceeded to freak out and run to the ladies' room, for what I assume was "safety." ...

Do you open carry often and these happened over time, or does this happen every time you OC? And is your holster inside or outside of the waistband?

I don't usually OC, but I don't always go to great lengths to conceal either. Just kinda depends on what I'm doing and where I'll be that day. Usually when I'm on my bike I carry under my vest only and I do get a chuckle out of people who see me all decked out and carrying a gun. I'm sure they all think I'm an outlaw lol I wonder if they'd feel different if they knew that I was in a law enforcement/military MC? People kill me.

Guest kirkosaurus

He was OCing a Glock (IIRC) though I didn't catch which model. I was amazed, literally floored, that his pistol stayed in it's holster and didn't jump out and start shooting random bystanders.

Or his butt.

Guest Broomhead
Do you open carry often and these happened over time, or does this happen every time you OC? And is your holster inside or outside of the waistband?

This was before I got a P-11 for pocket carry. I use to carry in a Fobus paddle holster and like others said, I didn't go to great lengths to conceal. That time my shirt just got hung up on my gun and I just didn't pull it down.

Guest Overtaker

Got some stares while filling up the gas tank.

Another day at the grocery. It was full of people during the Friday after-work rush. No screams or running away.

Too lazy to type it all up again... Just go here.

The Cliff's Notes version is that I have yet to have a negative interaction due to my openly carrying, I have had a few neutral reactions, and the number of positive reactions frankly surprises me.

....The Cliff's Notes version is that I have yet to have a negative interaction due to my openly carrying, I have had a few neutral reactions, and the number of positive reactions frankly surprises me.

I generally want ZERO reaction, which I believe is the common feeling for all of us who don't open carry much, or at all.

- OS

*shrug* My positive reactions consisted of educating a Canukistanian resident about the firearm-related laws here in TN and the US, educating two other concealed carriers as to the legality of open carry, being thanked by two separate folks for carrying, talking with my local city representative about firearm-carry municipal codes, and spending a few minutes comparing carry pieces with a liquor store owner (Caveman). The neutral one was having KPD ask for my license after I got in a car accident and was openly carrying.

I am willing to take the chance that my time might be spent engaging in those activities. If you are not, that is certainly your call.

...I am willing to take the chance that my time might be spent engaging in those activities. If you are not, that is certainly your call.

Yeah, I admit I'm not an activist, really don't want to necessarily interact with random strangers in public over gun issues, even if no interactions are negative.

- OS

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tommy62

I am not against OC. I do believe that we have the right. I'll have to agree with the instructor at my class. He said that it is up to us to be responsible when carrying. And that part of that responsibility is not to arouse suspicion or fear in the sheeple. He also commented on "THE TACTICAL" show offs. There is nothing wrong with OC provided that one is neat in appearance and respectful to the people we come in contact with. JMHO

I have a carry permit from Arkansas. I'm in Memphis almost everyday, and was wondering if open carry would be allowed while in Memphis?

I have a carry permit from Arkansas. I'm in Memphis almost everyday, and was wondering if open carry would be allowed while in Memphis?

I would think so. It's the law in this state. OC makes it more likely you will have to show your permit, so there may be the risk that an LEO may have a moment of confusion about it.

I would think so. It's the law in this state. OC makes it more likely you will have to show your permit, so there may be the risk that an LEO may have a moment of confusion about it.

Ok thanks! I sure wished Arkansas would accept this!

Ok thanks! I sure wished Arkansas would accept this!

I'm not real sure of why it's accepted in Tennessee. I'm not big on OC, because I just prefer not to be noticed. I don't know if the lawmakers planned for a bunch of open carry, or they were just protecting folks that carry concealed, and may accidentally show their gun. In either case, your main concern is probably bumping into an LEO that isn't quite up on the law when it comes to out of state permits, and winds up interrupting part of your day.

Guest aaron a

About the only time I O.C. Is if I have my Carry Permit Instructor badge on with my firearm and have never had a problem. But if I can cover it up I do, I dont want people to know I have it on me.

About the only time I O.C. Is if I have my Carry Permit Instructor badge on with my firearm and have never had a problem. But if I can cover it up I do, I dont want people to know I have it on me.

OMG.

Welcome to TGO, I guess.

- OS

Guest aaron a
Is a carry permit instructor badge more special than a regular CCW badge?

Hay Mike I dont guess any of them are special I am just an instructor so mine has instructor on it..