Thinking About Taking The 1911 Plunge

Guest darkstar

Guest darkstar

I'm considering a 1911 style .45 for my next purchase (which may be later rather than sooner). After some preliminary research I have to admit I'm a bit overwhelmed as there are many choices. I'm completely new to the world of the 1911's but here are some rough guidelines as to what I'm looking for:

No Big Bucks. This will be a range / carry gun, I don't need a $2,000 super deluxe competition model.

Quality. While I don't want to spend huge money I do want a quality firearm. Again, I'm not needing something for competition but I do want something reliable, well made, and a good value.

Size. I would prefer something along the lines of a compact size pistol, but that is not written in stone, something for comfortable carry would be perfect. Don't want a micro, but also do not want a giganto full size behemoth.

Pretty easy to please huh? Anyone with any reccomendations would be appreciated. I would consider a used pistol if it were in very good shape ( I know I may have to go that route due to the prices of new, quality pistols). Are there any good quality new 1911's for say around $700 or less? Or is that an impossibility? I know from looking at some Kimbers your talking upwards of $800-$1,000 and higher. What about that new Taurus 1911 model? I previously owned a Tarus revolver (some time ago) and I always thought it was a pretty decent gun, but that was a revolver not a 1911.

Any help is thanked for in advance.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A LOT of people I shoot with (competitively) are having many issues with their Kimbers. I had a CDP and was terribly disappointed with it (no, it did not have the troublesome external extractor). Kimbers were the shiznit when they first came out, but their quality control has gone to hell, possibly due to the fact that they have grown and expanded their lineup so quickly.

Guest HexHead

You should be able to find a Kimber Pro Carry iI in the $700-800 range. I've got a Stainless Pro Carry II and a Custom Royal II and both have been just about flawless for me.

My real advice is not to get an "entry level" 1911. I had a Springfield GI Champion and all it did was convince me I wanted one with more "bells & whistles" on it. Factor in the money I lost selling it used and I should have just gotten the Kimber in the first place.

Take a look at RIA... I have one (thanks, Rabbi!) and it's a definite keeper. It'll leave you enough to do some custom stuff, if you feel the need...

+1 on the RIA ,check out Armscore.com

Guest atomemphis

I've recently shot a Kimber Pro Carry II. 4" barrel, full size grips so its easy to handle. Dealer's cost is around 615, so add about 75 to that,and that's what you'd pay before tax.

Seemed very reliable, looks great, was very accurate. has alloy receiver so its slightly lighter than other similarly sized 1911's (won't pull your britches down)

Go to a good range that'll let you rent, and try several.

Take a look at RIA... I have one (thanks, Rabbi!) and it's a definite keeper. It'll leave you enough to do some custom stuff, if you feel the need...

I have a Century Arms, which is the same thing, in commander size in the case. It is fine. Absolutely nothing wrong with the gun and loaded with neat-o features like extended grip safety, skeleton trigger etc. For a carry 1911 I dont think you could beat it. And if it gets stolen you won't be kicking yourself because it's a 399 gun.

Guest flyfishtn

Thinking along the lines of 1911 for my next purchase as well. Does anyone carry a Gov't size daily? I know it is bigger, just curious. I like the size and the barrel length.

I have quite a bit. I started out on a High Power. I switch between a Govt Mdl and a

all steel SIG 220. But I also use a cross draw or small of the back holster. It takes a while to get used to.When I first started most of the new smaller guns were not available. I got use to a heavy gun. I am starting to like my Glock 19.

Guest flyfishtn
I have quite a bit. I started out on a High Power. I switch between a Govt Mdl and a

all steel SIG 220. But I also use a cross draw or small of the back holster. It takes a while to get used to.When I first started most of the new smaller guns were not available. I got use to a heavy gun. I am starting to like my Glock 19.

Thanks for the feedback. I am not small but I am not fat so the heft generally doesn't bother me.

Guest gcrookston

I confess, I've always been a 1911 guy. But I wouldn't ever carry one. I don't like the idea of Cocked and Locked, or even Half-cocked or locked. I'm pretty much a Colt and Military guy. I like them 1912-1969. I currently have a 1967 NM I enjoy a lot. I have owned Baers, Clarks, Kimbers and last fall I bought a Taurus PT1911 used for $399 @ On Target in Murfreesboro.

For the big bucks, there are a lot of them out there. I could never Justify the cost of a Baer to my bride, let alone to myself (hey, but they were fun when I could afford them). Kimbers, in my experience are hit or miss. The more you spend on their line, the better the chances of getting a good one. The less you spend, well, their line is very broad and their quality seems to follow the sales price down.

I've always liked Clark from when I was in my teens and got my first Pin gun from them. Jimmy is doing a pretty good job of keeping up with his Dad in continuing the tradition of some very fine built customs on good platforms. I confess, the newest Clark I've ever owned was a Shreveport Addressed 1968 Hardball. But I've yet to hear a complaint about the current line from anyone that actually owns one. They had a life time $50.00 tune up policy on any of their guns, no matter the vintage, and I understand they carry that on. this comes in handy if you shoot them alot. I bought a 1966 vintage hard ball on GB a few years ago (2002), that turned out to have a cracked barrel bushing and they replaced it and tuned the gun for $50.00

But this PT1911 I bought on a whim from Sean @ Ontarget is worth a note. I put it against my 1968 NM Colt the day I bought it and it compared favorably. The trigger is a bit grainy until you get a few hundred rounds through it (or do like I did and stone it). but it is a helluva gun.

I don't recommend purchasing used unless you know what you are looking at. These are high maintenance guns. Extractors, Ejectors and even springs have a very limited life on the older guns as compared to knew (just a few thousand rounds). Even Hold open parts are prown to rapid failure. These are design short comings that pop up even on the best of the new manufacture.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest darkstar
Springfield has the best bang for the buck IMHO. There are plenty of deals out there you just need patience and persistence to find them. "Watch each card you play and play it slow. Wait until that deal come round"

:D Nice "Deal" refference!

I'd like to thank everyone for their input. Their is indeed a lot of info to sift through

Guest atomemphis

The above being said, it should be noted that many many do carry some form of 1911. Kimber's grip safety with schwartz safety along with slide safety plus finger off of trigger keep your ass safe.

recite with me: "cocked, locked and ready to rock" & "on the ground in a round" (last referring to .45acp)

Guest HexHead
Thinking along the lines of 1911 for my next purchase as well. Does anyone carry a Gov't size daily? I know it is bigger, just curious. I like the size and the barrel length.

I occasionally carry my full size. My regular carry is a lightweight Commander size. The secret to carrying a full size is a good holster and especially a proper gun belt.

Come to think about it, that's the secret to comfortable carry, period. :devil: