Plumbing Help-Toilet Related

Slappy

I feel I have failed as a man today. I cant replace a headlight bulb on my wife's car (2006 Volvo S60 2.5T) and after 2 trips to Walmart, 2 new toilet repair kits and prayers asking forgiveness for the words that spewed forth out of my mouth (although i thought "****" was an appropriate term for my toilet struggles), my toilet is still broken.

Here is the story: Flapper was worn out and the ballcock was broken. When I replaced it, as soon as I turned the water back on, water started shooting out from underneath (down into the tank) from underneath the cap of the ballcock like it had a blown gasket. ;) So I went back to Wallyword exchanged what I thought was a bad assembly and got a new toilet repair kit of a different brand. The second one is much better but it is STILL leaking periodically from underneath the cap of the ballcock. What is going on?? The toilet flushes, the tank fills up, it stops at the desired level, all is good and quiet and then it starts to trickle from underneath that dang cap. Please advise. Thanks!!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You might try yet another assembly. I've gotten two bad ones before. After messing with one for an entire day, I don't replace piece-parts anymore. I get the whole "innards" kit and replace everything. Just make sure all the connections and sealing surfaces are very clean. Hard water deposits can cause all manner of leaks.

Sounds like the flapper is not sealed and causing it to keep filling.

Get a finger of grease or the like and spread around the pipe under/on the flapper. Or go to Lowes and get a new one. The red ones sold individually are very soft and seal well.

Best tank assembly I have had luck with is this type.

RANDOM INTERNET PICTURE AND PART NUMBER.

toilet-guts-anatomy-flush-master1.gif

Just want to say, all toilet innards are *****, pun intended. Seems like I replace them annually. I too have stopped buying parts to save $3. I buy the whole replacement, because if you don't, you just replace the broken part, the rest will go south in a matter of months.