Question, is Henley street Bridge Closed in Knoxville?

vontar

Question, is Henley street Bridge Closed in Knoxville?

I may need to go down Chapman hwy next week and would like to know before. Seems I heard a while back there was or is some planned worked on that bridge and traffic was going to be re routed. That is an area of Knoxville I try to avoid.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. The TDOT website has a recommended detour route. I'm not familiar enough with the area to explain it. Media coverage indicates that a lot of people have just moved over to the Gay St. bridge but the number of vehicles has overwhelmed it's capacity. I used Chapman Hwy a week or so ago and used John Sevier to get there.

Vontar, yes, it is closed, depending on how far down Chapman you need to go and at what time should dictate your route. If you are going south of John Sevier or just north, then I would recomend as Bubba said, go down Alcoa and take John Sevier. iF you need to go near the old baptis hospital then you can take Gay St or South Knox Bridge on James White Pkwy. if its during rush hour, 7-9 or 5-7, I would not consider Gay St as a viable option. Let me know if I can help direct you in any way

how can you live around here and not know that it is closed?

I barely go to Knoxville and mainly stay on the west side. Last time I was over that was was back in August. Seems I heard they were about to close it then. I knew a bit about the rerouting.

As for finding my way around, now that I now for sure I can find what I need I just didn't want to end up over that way and have one of those moments and have to re route on the fly.

And the bridge is going to be closed for at least 2 - 3 years while they rebuild it. I usually take the Gay Street bridge, but be ready for a wait if it's anywhere around morning, lunch, or evening rush hours. Traffic going south regularly backs up on Gay Street and on Main Street.

You can always take the scenic route and avoid downtown.

Alcoa Hwy to UT hospital. Cherokee Trail to Scottish Pike. Then W. Blount Ave to Chapman Hwy. right there on the south side of the bridge.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=35.9351877,-83.9370758+to:W+Blount+Ave&geocode=FZVlJAIdNwn_-g%3BFdNTJAIdzTj_-imZyd9bqyJciDGD2e64t-z6QQ%3BFZCeJAIdBon_-g&gl=us&hl=en&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=17&via=1&sll=35.953826,-83.917458&sspn=0.003865,0.006856&ie=UTF8&ll=35.946605,-83.932199&spn=0.030921,0.054846&z=14

Edited by Garufa

If you are going out toward sevierville; you can go out Alcoa Highway (US129 -- probably 3 or so miles south toward the airport...), take a left at Governor John Sevier (...cant remember the #...), then right on Chapmn Highway (..US441...). Thie route brings you out about 4 or so miles south of the Henley Bridge.

Hope this helps.

leroy

Guest Letereat!

Be careful in the South Knoxville area. I hear there are some real Wingnut/Crackpots in those parts. Particularly in that Mount Olive zone.:)