My Latest Rifle

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garufa yes it is my first M1 Garand I already had a M1 Carbine and a 03 A3 Remington wanted a Garand to complete the WW2 set

You are complete, sir. :D

Fine example of a Garand there. Even has the correct trigger guard. :(

Just make sure you feed it M2 ball ammo (surplus or equivalent). Do not run commercial 30-06 through her without an adjustable gas plug.

Nice! I've always wanted a Garand, but have yet to find the right deal at the right time.

Greg, I doubt you will ever find a Garand for less than CMP. You can get a field grade for $495 or a service grade for $595. They are the same rifles you see at the gun shows and on the forums for $900.

Get them before they are gone.

Guest TnRebel

ahhh that brings back memory's LOL went through boot camp with one then they gave us the M-14's treat her right and she will always be faithful .

Here is my 100 yard target last one I fired today shot group on the left then made a final adjustment final group measures 3.25 inches the red bulls eye measures 4.75

I wonder what the best possible group would be for these guns does any one know.

target.jpg

.... what the best possible group would be for these guns does any one know....

They can be a sub MOA rifle with all of the National Match mods, Match Ammo and a good Garand gunsmith. :)

3.25 inch is a good-enough MOC (Minute of Chest) using issue M2 ball ammo. And as said, make sure that you are using ammo loaded to M2 spec. Some commerical ammo meant for bolt rifles can bend the op rod on the Garand.

Does anybody know some good gunsmiths that could put a barrel on a Garand? My old WRA has a crappy barrel, but I do have a like new replacement. I just don't want to try this myself. I've done some gun tinkering but nothing like this. Thanks.

Does anybody know some good gunsmiths that could put a barrel on a Garand? My old WRA has a crappy barrel, but I do have a like new replacement. I just don't want to try this myself. I've done some gun tinkering but nothing like this. Thanks.

I don’t know him but I have seen this name come up in Garand discussions. Some people have been pretty happy with rifles he built. I thought I heard he was who does the Garand work for Champions Choice in La Vergne. It might be worth checking out.

Match Service Works

Ronnie Morris

422 Maple Street,

Madison TN 37115.

615-868-4567

Ronnie Morris does all the work on my Garands and M14s. He has all of the correct Garand tools (very important) and works out of a small shop behind his house.

Give him a call, and by all means let him do his action job on your trigger while he has your Garand.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Laufer

Well-done Greg!

My first is a CMP Service Grade, and though it was built in '55, it must be interesting having THE "Battle Rifle" which was built during WW2.

The Military Channel had a good show tonight about how Patton's troop broke through the Bastogne ("Bulge") encirclement.

My wife and I were on an excellent personal tour provided by a Flemish guy two years ago, by E Company's foxholes and other locations nearby. His name is Reg Jaan, or Jans.

That tour where the guide told us exact accounts ( their ranks, places, grim events) of soldiers he has personally gotten to know created my desire for a Garand (or two..).

He visited one guy at his home in Michigan.

Edited by Laufer
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Laufer

Very experienced (middle-aged) gun buddies and friends all claim that lots of those at gun shows were from the CMP (DCM) and some parts were changed on many.

Even excluding the much higher list prices, how do people know that the gun is still safe to shoot (or no internal rust/stress), and is still reliable?

Well unless you can break the rifle down and know what you are looking for you can't I look at the overall condition of the gun as a indicator military guns in particular are designed to run a very long time and are designed to have their parts changed without a lot of fuss I have and shoot guns all the way from a 1871 Mauser to modern stuff a little pitting doesn't hurt here is a gun that I shoot often colt1900.jpg