Stopped by LEO while carrying

Guest rt_steve

Guest rt_steve

I had my first encounter with a LEO while carrying. I have heard some negative experiences from others, and thought I would share my positive experience.

I was on my home, talking to my wife on the phone, not paying attention to one of the many changes in the speed limit that occur through Bristol and suddenly I see a patrol car come up behind me. I pulled off, turned off my vehicle, turned on my dome light, and placed my hands on the wheel. As the officer approached my truck window, I immediately informed him that I had two pistols on me. He asked their location and very politely stated, "I respect your right to carry and do not want to treat you like a criminal but for my safety I am going to ask you to step out of the vehicle and disarm you". I informed him that I would unbuckle my seat belt with my left hand, he opened my door for me, and I stepped out of my truck. He first removed my Glock 19 from my right hip in a Blackhawk level II holster and then my LCR from my left boot in a Uncle Mike's pocket holster (Not my first choice in holster but not a lot of options for LCR yet). The officer placed them in the seat of my truck. He then asked me to step to the rear of my truck while he called in my license from the rear of his patrol car. He was extremely polite and let me off with a warning.

I believe it was a Bristol City Police officer, but I'm not positive. I tried to be as respectful as I possibly could be and I felt like the respect was reciprocated by the officer.

I would like to think that all officers are as professional and respectful as this officer. Has anyone else had similar encounters? Good experiences/Bad experiences?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest friesepferd

all my experiances have been very good. I have never had anything more than a "good for you" or "cool, what kind" or "do you know a good place to shoot around here". have also never gotten a ticket. being polite goes a long way. being a cute female with a gun might have helped too.

Guest Kamikaze

I'm glad he was polite but I don't like that he disarmed you. It seems to me that it could be more dangerous to take an unfamiliar firearm out of an unfamiliar holster and lay it out than it would be to just leave them alone. Especially on of those glock pistols. They don't have any safeties you know......

I have been pulled over twice since I started carrying. The first time I gave him my license and permit, he didn't ask about a gun. The second time I got pulled over we spent more time talking about my Crossbreed then we did my speeding. No ticket either time.

However I feel like Columbia is very carry friendly as far as police and businesses are concerned. There are very few posted places around here. The ones that are posted do so because of corporate policy.

Thats unusual, or at least in my area. They usually just dismiss that you have a gun and continue as normal (they do check for the HCP), and all is well. I asked a LEO that I know and he explained that anyone who admits to having one and has a HCP is very unlikely to be a problem while the folks that DONT tell them are the dangerous ones...

Guest rt_steve

It was around 0015 when I got pulled over. The late hour may have been his reason for disarming me.

"Nothing good ever happens after midnight" - My Mother

Guest DELETED

I've had a couple of experiences with that. In both instances, before the officer had a chance to speak, I informed him that I had a carry permit and a pistol on my right hip. In that order. I just figured that it wasn't wise to simply say " I have a gun". After a brief glance at my permit, both officers thanked me for informing them. Neither disarmed me or asked me to disarm myself, but I wouldn't have been offended if they did. I WANT officers to feel safe around me and not see me as a threat. Courtesy go a long way. Not just when being pulled over, but in any situation when you are carrying and someone notices.

Guest nicemac

I got stopped by a motorcycle cop last year in a string of cars "speeding" in Metro Nashville. It was one of those assembly line stops where as soon as one car pulls away, another is reeled in. They had five or six being written up at one time. Anyway, I handed the officer my license and permit and informed him that I had a gun in the car. He thanked me for letting him know, handed my permit back to me and told me he would no longer need that. He walked away, came back a minute or so later and handed me a ticket for 44 in a 35.

I was pulled over recently by a Nashville Metro officer - after handing him my license I informed him that I had a carry permit and was carrying. He politely asked me where the gun was located, then requested I keep my hands on the wheel while he went back to his car and checked things. After coming back and suggesting that I slow down a little (rightly so), he took a moment to specifically thank me for letting him know that I was carrying. He said that he and other officers really appreciate when someone tells them up front about it rather than waiting for them to find out during the license check and wonder why they didn't say anything.

I don't know if letting him know was the only reason I didn't get a ticket, but it sure helped.

Guest friesepferd
I got stopped by a motorcycle cop last year in a string of cars "speeding" in Metro Nashville. It was one of those assembly line stops where as soon as one car pulls away, another is reeled in. They had five or six being written up at one time. Anyway, I handed the officer my license and permit and informed him that I had a gun in the car. He thanked me for letting him know, handed my permit back to me and told me he would no longer need that. He walked away, came back a minute or so later and handed me a ticket for 44 in a 35.

you were on a motercycle and told the cop that you had a gun in the car?? *befuddled look*

Guest nicemac
you were on a motercycle and told the cop that you had a gun in the car?? *befuddled look*

Um, I started "I got stopped by a motorcycle cop…"

I had my first encounter with a LEO while carrying. I have heard some negative experiences from others, and thought I would share my positive experience.

I was on my home, talking to my wife on the phone, not paying attention to one of the many changes in the speed limit that occur through Bristol and suddenly I see a patrol car come up behind me. I pulled off, turned off my vehicle, turned on my dome light, and placed my hands on the wheel. As the officer approached my truck window, I immediately informed him that I had two pistols on me. He asked their location and very politely stated, "I respect your right to carry and do not want to treat you like a criminal but for my safety I am going to ask you to step out of the vehicle and disarm you". I informed him that I would unbuckle my seat belt with my left hand, he opened my door for me, and I stepped out of my truck. He first removed my Glock 19 from my right hip in a Blackhawk level II holster and then my LCR from my left boot in a Uncle Mike's pocket holster (Not my first choice in holster but not a lot of options for LCR yet). The officer placed them in the seat of my truck. He then asked me to step to the rear of my truck while he called in my license from the rear of his patrol car. He was extremely polite and let me off with a warning.

I believe it was a Bristol City Police officer, but I'm not positive. I tried to be as respectful as I possibly could be and I felt like the respect was reciprocated by the officer.

I would like to think that all officers are as professional and respectful as this officer. Has anyone else had similar encounters? Good experiences/Bad experiences?

I'm glad all went well and you feel it was a good encounter.

But in all honesty this why some don't inform...why disarm you? Why all the need for gun handling? I know a LEO can disarm you if he feels it is needed for his safety, but if someone else simply being armed is going to mean they always need to be disarmed for the officer's safety.....why doesn't the law just say that then?

I haven't been stopped while carrying, yet and would just as soon avoid the whole thing. That said, I feel that - unless the HCP holder is behaving suspiciously, etc. - the fact that he or she has gone to the expense and trouble to obtain an HCP rather than carrying illegally should be plenty enough for the officer to feel 'safe'. Heck, I don't feel particularly good about some guy I don't know standing just outside my car with a handgun, taser, baton, handcuffs and pepper spray on his hip - can I ask him to go back to his car and disarm for my safety and comfort before writing me a ticket?

I haven't been stopped while carrying, yet and would just as soon avoid the whole thing. That said, I feel that - unless the HCP holder is behaving suspiciously, etc. - the fact that he or she has gone to the expense and trouble to obtain an HCP rather than carrying illegally should be plenty enough for the officer to feel 'safe'. Heck, I don't feel particularly good about some guy I don't know standing just outside my car with a handgun, taser, baton, handcuffs and pepper spray on his hip - can I ask him to go back to his car and disarm for my safety and comfort before writing me a ticket?

LOL. I don't think you will win that one. Might also ask if you can meet him/her on neutral ground such as Sweden as well.

I'm glad all went well and you feel it was a good encounter.

But in all honesty this why some don't inform...why disarm you? Why all the need for gun handling? I know a LEO can disarm you if he feels it is needed for his safety, but if someone else simply being armed is going to mean they always need to be disarmed for the officer's safety.....why doesn't the law just say that then?

I agree with you. But sometimes a little bit of courtesy, or butt kissing, whatever you want to call it goes a long way. I have no interest in paying the exorbitant fines for speeding and the increased insurance premiums. If I have to be temporarily disarmed for that end I guess I'll have to put up with it. So far though I am 3 for 3, though two of them were sobriety checkpoints and I don't drive drunk. One was also out of state and he thanked me for letting him know as well.

All in all I can't disagree with anybody's opinion. Since you are not required by law to inform up front make your decision and go with it. If it works for you it's a win. If not you can be a big boy (or girl) and decide if you think your decision was what did it or not.

Guest friesepferd

does anyone know if a LEO sees whether or not you have a permit just by running your drivers license?

i know in a lot of states they do.

does anyone know if a LEO sees whether or not you have a permit just by running your drivers license?

Yes, in TN, HCP status shows when they run your license. Not plates, but license.

- OS

Yes, it will show up when they run your DL in TN. Other states I can't say, but

likely they do as well. Should show the HCP status as well, unless it's so recent

it hasn't been posted in the system yet.

Things will go much smoother if you just mention it up front. Remember, "you" know

you're a good guy/gal. The officer has no idea who he/she is dealing with when

they walk up to your vehicle.

Thanks

:)

I believe I can help back that up.

My wife got stopped driving my truck. She was not ask anything about a firearm.

However last time I was stopped before I had my permit, I was ask. I drive a bit slower now, I try to stay more in the speed limit to avoid getting stopped.

Maybe they just ask guys more then women about firearms.

I guess it just depends on who you get. My wife got pulled over by a KPD officer a couple of weeks ago for speeding, and informed him she had a HCP and was carrying. He never asked to see the gun, stated he thought everybody should carry, and had a lengthy discussion about her LCP, Glocks, and ammo types.

Guest friesepferd

alright. good to know.

then i for sure I think you should just mention it when you get pulled over. i do anyways, but still. They are going to find out anyways, its way better to be upfront about it. no reason not to.

I'm in the it is polite to inform group. I got my first ticket in years last week. When I handed my other info over I also handed my permit. This officer was very young and had what I took to be a training officer with him. He asked if I was currently armed and I told him I was. He then walked to the back of the car and spoke to the senior officer and then called it in. He came back, handed me my permit and thanked me for letting him know.

I think he was caught off guard a bit but he handled it well. In general he was very polite and professional. Hopefully he will stay that way after dealing with some of the scum he will see along the way.

The ticket was total BS but I figure there have been plenty of times that I should have gotten one and didn't so I can't complain.

I also think being polite to the officer goes a long ways in a lot of situations.

Mark

Guest DanE479

I don't htink that anybody that hasn't been in the LEO field has a right to criticize if the initiating officer disarms you if you are carrying. In the end, it comes down to the officer's comfort level. In the case of the OP, it was 0015, the officer was alone, and he did what he felt he needed to to be safe.

Hell, I was in full security uniform once when I was pulled over for a speeding violation and the officer disarmed me. Until they run you through the computer, they don't know if you're safe or not. I don't hold a grudge on him; he was doing his job.

THe key is to remain polite and comply.

I don't htink that anybody that hasn't been in the LEO field has a right to criticize if the initiating officer disarms you if you are carrying. In the end, it comes down to the officer's comfort level. In the case of the OP, it was 0015, the officer was alone, and he did what he felt he needed to to be safe.

Hell, I was in full security uniform once when I was pulled over for a speeding violation and the officer disarmed me. Until they run you through the computer, they don't know if you're safe or not. I don't hold a grudge on him; he was doing his job.

THe key is to remain polite and comply.

Again, I don't even have the option of running him through a computer. Just because someone is a cop doesn't mean I automatically trust them, their judgement, etc. as an individual. Therefore, if I have to tolerate his being armed while our transaction is carried out then he should have to extend HCP holders the same courtesy.

Further, citizens/taxpayers have every right to question the judgement, actions, etc. of any public servant, period. I don't, necessarily, have a problem with police. I do have a problem that apparently, somewhere along the way, our society seems to have forgotten that police, politiicans, FBI agents, the ATF and all the other government employees work for us, not the other way around.