Black Panthers in the smokey mountains????

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've told many people at work about seeing that big black cat. Many who work there are from around Tellico, Polk county, or across the line in Georgia.

Most acted like it wasn't any news to them, because they had seen one or more over the years, or their family or friends had.

I'm starting to think, that they maybe hidden in plain site!!?

well here is an example of an animal being discovered, worlds smallest snake.

Wildlife Extra News - World's smallest snake discovered in Barbados

Then the locals stating he did not discover it, that they knew about it long before he claimed to have discovered it.

Small snake sparks big debate - Technology & science - Science - msnbc.com

based on this second article the reason the black panther does not exist is because no one has no one has done a 'full description' of a species or give it a scientific name, the 2 requirements required to 'discover a species'.

...based on this second article the reason the black panther does not exist is because no one has no one has done a 'full description' of a species or give it a scientific name, the 2 requirements required to 'discover a species'.

Of course "black panthers" exist. They are known coloration variants of leopards in africa and asia and jaguars in central and south America. They've been in zoos, extensively photographed, etc. Probably some in zoos here and there now.

"Panther" is not the proper name for any species however, it's more of a catch-all slang. Comes from the name of the genus "panthera" which includes all the large cats, including the new world cougar. There's simply no documentation of a black cougar. Ever. In their entire range from Alaska/Canada through South America. And no documentation of ANY color cougar in TN since the 1930s, same as most of the US east of the Mississippi, except for a small protected population of what's called the "Florida Panther", a cougar which is debated as a subspecies. But no black ones.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

FWIW. This "is" a true story, BTW, my squad leader, for a while in 'Nam, in '67, was

a Seminole Indian from the Everglades in Fla. I saw in Time Magazine years later,

where he had killed & ate a panther ( black ?). Got into all kinds of trouble with

the Fla. Fish & Game + National Fish & Wildlife folks, as this was on the "endangered

species" list. So, panthers do exist in the Eastern U.S. Can't say what color it was,

but, not impossible, I suppose.

On the other hand, a good photo always helps!

.... Seminole Indian from the Everglades in Fla. I saw in Time Magazine years later,

where he had killed & ate a panther ( black ?). Got into all kinds of trouble with

the Fla. Fish & Game + National Fish & Wildlife folks, as this was on the "endangered

species" list. So, panthers do exist in the Eastern U.S. Can't say what color it was,

but, not impossible, I suppose.

Read my recent post? As Mosey says, there is a Florida cougar population. No black ones though.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

i don't care what people believe everyone is entitled to there own opinion but there is credible evidence to support my claim black panthers in the day sleep so it would be very hard to find one in the day because they hunt at night

CASE!!!???

LOL!!

Who gives a crap about a case?

I just told what happen to me on the way home from work at midnight...

no trick photos... no second hand info... this was first hand...

and I know what I saw!

... you're the one, like I was, that have to guess if they are real!:)

Received a PM from a board member, read this!!

"I didn't mention anything about it on the board as no one would believe that I have seen a big cat ... and in the city none the less.

Sumner of 09' my car broke down on McBrain RD on the East Ridge side about 2AM. I called my brother, who lived minutes away, to come push me out of the middle of the road while I waited for the tow truck.

He pushed my car into the old K-Mart parking lot and we stood around for 45 minutes or so until the tow truck arrived. About 15 minutes into the wait my brother says to me "what the **** is that!" as he points towards S.Terrace. I look up and see a large dog sized black animal walking west on S.Terrace. Within a few minutes it made it's way down to the parking lot of that walk-in medical place and we could clearly see that it was a cat. He was only ~50 yards away from us and was in the lights of the parking lot so there is no doubt about what it was. This was not a dog. This was not a deer. It was a cat."

Oh, well... probability swamp gas!! LOL!!

Guest Bluemax

Here's the deal, my brother has a pretty good sized farm in Sevier County thats kinda isolated. Now before I tell this, I'm gonna give you a little background. He's the oldest of three brothers, the responsible one, not much of a sense of humour and trains horses for a living...so this guy knows animals....and generaly don't screw around...agree??? About 15 years ago, he call me up to help him go feed and says "BLUE" your not gonna believe this but I started over to the barn and thought there was a black bear laying out front, then it got up and I saw the long tail and realized it was a big cat. He started carrying that day and continues to do so.

My point is, if I told people this happened to me, they would laugh and say "Blue" is just up to some of his BS...but my big brother doesn't BS. Believe what you want opinions are like aholes..everyone has one

• 3 weeks later...

My turn...three sightings...none here...one in East Texas, two in Montana. The one in texas had the longest tail on a cat I have ever seen...probably 4 or 5 feet...he was going away heading for a thick stand of trees. My wife, brotherinlaw, and landlord all saw him..her...it. The rwo in Montana were on the way home from going out to eat...the whole archaeology crew were in the Van and everybody saw. Mom...two kits...black as the ace of spades...caught in the road as we came around the corner..they literally ran up the cliff getting gone.

My turn...three sightings...none here...one in East Texas, two in Montana. The one in texas had the longest tail on a cat I have ever seen...probably 4 or 5 feet...he was going away heading for a thick stand of trees. My wife, brotherinlaw, and landlord all saw him..her...it. The rwo in Montana were on the way home from going out to eat...the whole archaeology crew were in the Van and everybody saw. Mom...two kits...black as the ace of spades...caught in the road as we came around the corner..they literally ran up the cliff getting gone.

Leave it to Baja to raise the ante, three, count 'em THREE black panthers at one time! At least they weren't in TN. :dropjaw:

- OS

• 3 weeks later...