Black Panthers in the smokey mountains????

Show on History Channel tonight at 11:00 PM about Black Panther sightings in the U.S.

Ah, "stories of enormous black cats that are larger than mountain lions".

MonsterQuest is a riot.

I like the River Monsters guy, at least he catches something now and then.

- OS

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure on the big cats out here but I do know I seen a black bear behind my house..Ran into the house screaming like a little girl...

Oh wait.. I AM a girl..;)

And the only huge cats we have here are my overweight 2 black ones and my 17 lbs Main Coon.. but he looks more like a Raccoon.

IF they are here and non native ?( which I think is bogus )

Introduce a non native species anywhere and see what happends..:rolleyes:

I don't doubt for a second you saw a bear on Clinch Mountain. When I go out after dark I always hesitate just a second, I am not but about fifteen minutes from you.

Saw a bear run across 441 right near the Knox county liner last year while travelling back from Norris with OS. If there was one there there could just as easily be one in my back yard or yours.

Had a bull in my backyard a while back, that was interesting enoug, LOL

....saw a bear run across 441 right near the Knox county liner last year while travelling back from Norris with OS...

Naw man, you were driving and didn't get as good a look as I did -- it was a BIG BLACK PANTHER !!

And it was running from the BigFoot that was hot on its trail!

- OS

Few years ago when we had that drought there where more down here.. They went to the huge pond on our road. I do hear Coyotes every day in the evening.. yapping and howling or whatever they do.

We get the occasional lost cow or horse here also..

Edited by Tulip
Cant spell worth a flip
I don't doubt for a second you saw a bear on Clinch Mountain. When I go out after dark I always hesitate just a second, I am not but about fifteen minutes from you.

Saw a bear run across 441 right near the Knox county liner last year while travelling back from Norris with OS. If there was one there there could just as easily be one in my back yard or yours.

Had a bull in my backyard a while back, that was interesting enoug, LOL

Didnt know you are that close to us.. do you hear Gordon wasting ammo every day? lol..

I watched the show on the History Channel. It was interesting and I learned a few things. I didn’t know the Tiger was the largest of the “Big Catsâ€; I thought it was the lion. Lion is second then Jaguar is third.

I also thought a “Panther†was a type of cat. It isn’t, a Panther can be a Leopard, Jaguar, or Cougar.

A black Cougar has never been documented, black Bobcats have. Black Jaguars are rare, but they exist. Jaguars have been documented in Texas, Arizona, and New Mexico. So I think it is possible that those seeing a very large black cat could be seeing a Jaguar.

I know if I saw this I would think I was looking at a Black Panther. :rolleyes:

BlackJaguar1.jpg

The lore of large black cats has been around the southeast as long as man has. There are stories of Native Americans and black cats, hell there is even a Panther Creek State Park, someone had to think there were "painters" in them hills to name a creek Panther. But all the same, until someone shoots one and presents its carcus for all to see I believe its something else "fooling the eyes"

Well hell, I can do that.

Look... it's not here either:

P3100197.jpg

:D

People think that the 'painters are either tawny or black. They're actually perfectly camouflaged for their terrain, that's why they're so difficult to spot. The ones in the Eastern US are actual Chameleon Cougars. Hell, there could be two or three in that picture, ready to snuff that deer.

- OS

...Wasn't Bud Hawkins Rd your old stomping grounds OS?

Yeah man. Lived there. Old farmhouse that's not there anymore, big house built on same site back in the 80's, 'bout a "block" from McGinnis on west side of Roberts nearest to you, not the part that picks back up farther out north of House Mtn.

- OS

Guest Jamie
People think that the 'painters are either tawny or black. They're actually perfectly camouflaged for their terrain, that's why they're so difficult to spot. The ones in the Eastern US are actual Chameleon Cougars. Hell, there could be two or three in that picture, ready to snuff that deer.

- OS

Oh, we've got chameleon deer here too... just to keep the panthers on their toes... Here's a pic of one that tried to bushwack me a few years ago.... Must'a been a young one 'cause it's cammo wasn't so good...

PA230037.jpg

Guest BungieCord

I buddy of mine -- who I consider sane and sober -- tells me he's been seeing a mountain lion near his home outside Watertown. This interested me because that hide would look mighty fine on the wall of my man-cave. So I called the TWRA about whether wild cougar roaming the Tennessee countryside would be legal game. I was told it is a protected species and killing it could get me an all-expense paid vacation at a federal holiday resort.

While I had them on the line, I mentioned that I saw what I thought was a black panther in LBL several years ago. The TWRA agent I spoke with told me he knew -- knew, mind you -- there were cougars (not black ones, standard mountain lions) in LBL and at Cade's Cove. He said they weren't native (yet) but probably were raised as pets and released when they got to be too much for the owner to manage. He speculated the owners deliberately had released them in places where there would be plenty of natural game for them to hunt, hence LBL and Cade's Cove.

I buddy of mine -- who I consider sane and sober -- tells me he's been seeing a mountain lion near his home outside Watertown

He should get a picture if he's "been seeing" one -- it could be worth a fortune.

So I called the TWRA about whether wild cougar roaming the Tennessee countryside would be legal game. I was told it is a protected species and killing it could get me an all-expense paid vacation at a federal holiday resort.

Tennessee has a protected status for a species not documented since the 1930's and declared extinct by the US Fish and Wildlife Dept.? I'm glad TWRA stays on top of things.
While I had them on the line, I mentioned that I saw what I thought was a black panther in LBL several years ago.
Oh no, now you're seeing them, too. You know the most amazing statistic about black cougars? It's the only species of mammal in TN that has never been killed by a motorized vehicle. Heck, hasn't even been a normal colored one killed by any means since the 1930's.
The TWRA agent I spoke with told me he knew -- knew, mind you -- there were cougars (not black ones, standard mountain lions) in LBL and at Cade's Cove. He said they weren't native (yet) but probably were raised as pets and released when they got to be too much for the owner to manage. He speculated the owners deliberately had released them in places where there would be plenty of natural game for them to hunt, hence LBL and Cade's Cove.

Oh, just standard mountain lions - glad that ranger isn't a total loon. Geez, there must be a cougar kitty mill somewhere that all these released former house pets come from. Sorta like all them 15 foot alligators in city sewer systems.

I'm surprised they don't raise them for underground cougar fights in Cocke County. Much more entertaining than chickens and pit bulls.

This thread just continues to deliver. I really underestimated the extent of TN Black Panther Kool-Aid. :rolleyes:

- OS

Guest Bluemax

OhShoot, by your skeptical tone, I guess your gonna downplay the existance of Skunk Apes and Woolybuggers as well as the black panther, not sayin I've ever seen one but would it not be a more interesting world if they did exist...Just Sayin..