11:23 pm home defense

So, we have an alarm on our house. Last night at 11:23 I woke to the alarm ringing at full bore. Now my wife and I have gone over best home defense straegies. We have two kids. First step is to confirm the kids are alright. Second step is to take a position that I know I can advance from without fear of getting jumped from behind. To make a long story short, I jumped up, grabbed my PT92 and chambered a Golden Sabre. Took position at the end of the hall where I could check on the kids. Proceded to sweep the house from there, only using my weapon mounted light in burst going room to room. Come to the door where the kitchen goes to the garage and it's open. Hit the garage lights and enter only to find nothing. Turns out my teenage daughter didn't comepletely shut the door and the high winds somehow pushed it open, even with the garage doors closed, this has happened a couple other times, but not when the alarm was set. We will be getting a new door in the next few days now by the way. Anyhow, point is. While my wife is on the phone with the security people, I did exactly what I had trained myself to do. Adreneline pumping and all. So my advice is, if you do not have a home defense plan. get one. And practice it. Don't be the guy with a pistol fummbling in the dark while some thug is in your house with his own pistol and the upper hand of suprise. You be the suprise.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you had a good plan and stuck to it! Thanks for posting because it reminds me to re-check my plan and make sure my family is still on the same page. I've seen pressure changes outside cause interior doors to open. Its a little unnerving when it happens.

Can't advise on how to get some sleep after that. Sometimes I'd come home from working mids, go in the third bedroom where I kept my uniform, get changed and then end up sitting in the living room for the next 3 hours all jazzed up from adrenaline......

Best way to get to sleep after that for me is to try to stay up doing something sedate and boring like TV, reading, web, or a slower paced video game (chess for example). Next thing you know you will be dead tired and off to bed again.

Guest rsgillmd

Jonin, I would avoid the computer. Artificial light from the computer can occasionally have a paradoxical effect. Also you mill be moving your hand/mouse, changing screens, etc. -- to active.

I agree with reading a book, watching something boring on TV, etc.

The door we have now is a interior solid panel door. I want to replace it with a exterior type with a window. Energy conservation and security upgrade. I took me a nap this afternoon. that should help. As a side note. My six year old son is fascinated by the whole thing and made sure to tell everybody at school today. He told my wife that if I needed any help he could tote the shotgun. Crazy kid...

Guest Blown4v

My wife and I have a plan where she grabs her pistol out of the nightstand , runs to babys room, grabs the baby, backs into his closet(pretty big), where the 12 gauge is also full on the top shelf,

We have a codeword that has to be said near the closet door or buckshot is coming through the door at ya, Meanwhile I am sweeping the house with either the AR or XD, depends what I grab, both right beside the bed. It really helps to practice this drill, it can really speed it up for the instance when you may need it

Guest Sgt. Joe

I think you did just fine BlackPearl. It has to be comforting to know that what you have practiced works just as was planned. Good Job!

As for getting back to sleep, I am no expert but I would think that doing all you can to make another baby would do the trick.:rolleyes:

Guest TnRebel
Sounds like you did good. Though I wouldn't replace the door, just check the striker/plate alignment and install a dead bolt.

and add a spring hinge

Guest DanE479

MY tactical ninja super dooper plan if I hear a noise that does not belong or the alarm goes off is to wake up the wife, have her call 911, and sit tight in my doorway with my Glock covering the hallway. If my son's door is not how it should be, I'll clear his room really quick and return to my position where I can cover all approaches to the bedrooms. I then wait for the police to arrive and for them to clear my house.

Why screw around clearing your house? You are increasing the number of variables in the situation. I know it's not "macho" or "manly" to sit back and let others do the hard work, but it's the smartest play. Stay in a safe, defensible location and either let the bad guy run away, come to you, or get caught by the police when they arrive.

Guest Blown4v
Why screw around clearing your house? You are increasing the number of variables in the situation.

Because my house is pretty big and my baby's room is across the ground floor from ours. There are 4 ways to circle around my downstairs through different rooms and unless I've been through all of them, I would not consider the threat or potential threat gone. I cant just look out my bedroom door and cover the entrances and main walk through my house. Either way, its just a drill we practice, and IF that moment ever comes, we hope we get it right

My fire alarm in the attic went off shortly after midnight one night. After waking, slowly discerning what had awoken me, and repeatedly looking the house over for signs of a fire, I threw the old alarm away, and replaced it the next day. That night, however, the sleeping was over. I don't know how you could go to sleep after a start like that.

I think you did just fine BlackPearl. It has to be comforting to know that what you have practiced works just as was planned. Good Job!

As for getting back to sleep, I am no expert but I would think that doing all you can to make another baby would do the trick.:D

Haha. Why didn't I think of that!!?? Poor mans sleeping pill...

My wife and I have a plan where she grabs her pistol out of the nightstand , runs to babys room, grabs the baby, backs into his closet(pretty big), where the 12 gauge is also full on the top shelf,

We have a codeword that has to be said near the closet door or buckshot is coming through the door at ya, Meanwhile I am sweeping the house with either the AR or XD, depends what I grab, both right beside the bed. It really helps to practice this drill, it can really speed it up for the instance when you may need it

sounds like a really good plan one thing to think about is to have some kind of electronic ear protection for the child at least incase that shotgun is needed for use.

I have a similar plan my self. Soon as I notice somethings up I grab my glock and a set of hinged cuffs with my wife behind me clear down the hall as she moves into our childs room which I have turned into a safe room. I have upgraded the door to a solid interior door with a sturdy striker and dead bolt. After they are tucked away I make my way through the house.

I actually two months ago had to put this plan into effect. A guy tried breaking into my garage. Ended up in kind of a struggle but he ended up shot and cuffed. :)