Kandros Customs Gunworks 38 Super

In an earlier thread in the handguns forum I posted some pics of my Colt Govt Enhanced Model 1911 in 38 Super. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/55433-lucky-colt-38-super.html

Chad Kandros is the gunsmith who will be bringing this 1911 along. Nashville Gunsmith, Hendersonville Gunsmith - Kandros Custom Gunworks

I have learned over the years that its best for me to have the work performed in stages. I like to "fine-tune" my custom builds as I go in order to make sure that what I wanted is really what I wanted - - - Some gunsmiths might call that "changing-his-mind" but it keeps us from getting into unnecessary fretting over trying to select a complete package all at once that could lead to alot of undo and redo of work.

So..., Please keep in mind that you're going to see a work-in-progress with some "touch-up" blue & unfinished metalwork.

I plan to post to this thread as we go in order to have a running update on the progress of Chad's work on this 1911. I trust folks will find this interesting.

So...., Here is the 1911 as seen in the online auction. :D

148pz4z.jpg

And now after the first stage of Chad's work. :)

10q051g.jpg

Smith & Alexander - Grip Safety, Ed Brown - Wide Extended Thumb Safety - Cocobolo Grips - Allen Head Screws, Harrison Design - Short Trigger, Wilson Combat - Extended Mag Release, Novak - Super Wide Notch Rear Sight.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... Why did ya decide to use a short trigger on this pistol?

Small Hands.

With a thumbs forward/high grip/riding the thumb safety, I sometimes don't disengage the grip safety on a 1911. The short trigger helps, I have then on all of my 1911s other than my Gold Cup.

Also, Chad spent alot of time with me fitting the GS to ensure 100% function. I would practice my drawn stoke and then Chad would take the firearm apart, give it a couple of light passes with a stone/file and then I would make another drawn. After a couple of those test fits and Chad's final finishing work, I haven't had any problems with the GS.

I think that extra work with the shooter is a good example of a true custom build.

DMark:______________

I understand. Thought that might be the case. I've got the opposite problem. I like a long trigger.

I really like the pistola; it looks great and is in a great caliber.

Thanks again,

leroy

• 3 weeks later...

DMark, what did you do with the pearl grips from the original purchase?

I liked them, not the gold screws though. Growing up in the 60's a lot of Gentleman and some not so Gentlemanly were know to sport the infamous Pearl Grips. ;)

I feel a Super 38 will be in my collection soon.

BTW great looking pistol.

Edited by R1100R
DMark, what did you do with the pearl grips from the original purchase?

I made a deal with the seller that he could keep the faux, synthetic pearlite grips in exchange for free shipping. :D

However, if the social invite is after six o'clock (which requires "Evening Mess Dress") I go with some Grashorns made Elk Bone grip panels. :cool:

2a66m47.jpg

I made a deal with the seller that he could keep the faux, synthetic pearlite grips in exchange for free shipping. :D

However, if the social invite is after six o'clock (which requires "Evening Mess Dress") I go with some Grashorns made Elk Bone grip panels. :cool:

2a66m47.jpg

Dress Mess is a good looking uniform. Unlike what were stuck with now. Those

Elk horn grips are stunning. I'm in the market for some grips, ivory, bone or real pearl.

Brings me back to my youth. Looked at a Super 38 the other day. It had a roll mark for the 100th anniversary roll mark and Government Model 1991 on the slide. Not very good looking. I will have to keep my eyes open for a earlier model,

.... Looked at a Super 38 the other day. It had a roll mark for the 100th anniversary roll mark and Government Model 1991 on the slide. Not very good looking. I will have to keep my eyes open for a earlier model,

Agree, that anniversary rollmark is a little over the top. :lol:

Be careful when looking at an earlier Colt in 38 Super. There is a head spacing problem with the older Colt Super 38 barrels. They headspace on the rim of the cartridge and would often go further into the barrel when struck by the firing pin. Only the extractor would hold the cartridge in place. This caused lots of accuracy problems. It was years before somebody figured that headspacing on the case mouth like a .45 ACP was the fix. Colt would never admit that the rim headspace was a problem, but sometime in 1989/1990 they (without any announcement) went to case mouth headspace on .38 Super.

Here is what to look for.

34y3fyw.jpg

DMark,..

Please,..

if you take it to a range where they have USPSA/IPSC matches make sure your ammo stays separate from theirs ,.. it is loaded wayy hotter and wouldn't be good for your stock pistol maybe go so far as to sharpie your brass to verify,.. you can reload their empties but don't shoot any .38Super you don't know where it came from !

as in NO RANGE FINDS ! what so ever... they will grenade that fine pistol you have there as some are loaded way beyond SAAMI specs,. fine for a ramp barreled supported chambered compensated race gun but not a stock 5" gun,..

My 38Super race gun has stayed in the bag on more than one occasion to keep my ammo from finding its way into a stock .38 super...

Say I'm practicing a 2 reload 2 drill 6 mags,.. only the 4th. mag spits a round out when it hits the ground and a "stock" super owner inadvertently picks it up... high pressure and unsupported barrel no good will come of that combo...

Don't mean to sound harsh on the ammo thing but would hate to see even the grips hurt on that fine 1911 of yours...much less the metalwork..

how does she group ?

John

.... if you take it to a range where they have USPSA/IPSC matches make sure your ammo stays separate from theirs.... how does she group?

John,

Don't worry I saw enough 38 Supers being rode hard in the 80s & 90s trying to make major in IPSC. Folks sure where pushing things. I still recall one fellow from Alabama who's loads had a two/three foot flame. He'd leave burn marks on close targets! :)

Besides, I never use pick up range brass - - - Its a good way to give your firearm VD. :)

Groups are great. One of the major reason that I became convinced that this 1911 needed some custom work. It shoots so good with the Colt barrel that I'll have to fight Chad off from touching it. One of the things he wants to do is give it a target crown flush with the bushing..., and I'm telling him NO Need To!

Well..., Maybe..., Just a..., Little..., Cut to clean things up a bit. ;)

John:_________________

Since ya brought this up:

....Say I'm practicing a 2 reload 2 drill 6 mags,.. only the 4th. mag spits a round out when it hits the ground and a "stock" super owner inadvertently picks it up... high pressure and unsupported barrel no good will come of that combo...

Don't mean to sound harsh on the ammo thing but would hate to see even the grips hurt on that fine 1911 of yours...much less the metalwork..

Back in the "old days" before anyone other than Bar Sto made good 38 super barrels that headspaced on the case mouth and were fully supported; we used to "hotrod" the super in our Colt government models by using a heavier bullet with a longer nose (...usually a 140 grain 357 bullet...) and seat the bullet out so it would just touch the lands of the barrel to correct the "headspace problem" with the super.

The problem was just as you have said. You had a bit of a support problem with the old time barrels; plus a super hot load (...that one was our --rather "my" fault...). You could shoot the hot rounds in the super for the first load if you used new brass. They were accurate and powerful loads. We could shoot across the river (...75 or 80 yards...) with a "dead on" hold. Generally, the second round of reloading would result in a case rupture right at the unsupported location; sometimes they would blow out the side a bit and spray either the shooter or whomever was standing to the right of the shooter. Once we learned that; we just tossed the once fired brass; unless we were feeling lucky.

You are exactly right in cautioning to "regular" super shooters not to "hotrod" the super like the comp. guys do. If you do, you can soon find out what a ruptured case looks like. We never hurt any guns doing this foolishness; but we sprayed ourselves and our buddies pretty well before we figured out what was happening. Lookin back on it; it wasn't too smart; but then we werent too smart either!! God keeps His hand on the foolish many times.

Hope this gives a bit of a new perspective on how dangerous the unsupported thing is when the loads are hot. One person's ok load may be another person's "kaboom" load. It all depends on the equipment.

leroy