Gun Lube - Observations

This is an excerpt of a conversation I am having with a friend of mine in the Middle East.

What does a company that makes springs know about lubrication properties on a molecular level? They may know a lot...

I wish I were a petroleum chemist with the know how and equipment to test all these gun lubes chemically, not for performance, initially. I am beginning to think any modern lube works on guns as long as it is changed when dirty, but I somehow don't feel that most "gun guys" have the chemical and physics backgrounds in many cases to scientifically back up their claims. But then "gun guys" know a lot of things.

I bet if I really clean my guns good every 1,000-2,000 rds, I mean really good, and use CLP, Mobil 1, any one of a 200 off the shelf gun lubes, arcane garage mixtures or even, god forbid, Rem Oil, I will never have a failure to function attributable to poor lube at the sustain rates of fire I employ.

However, if I were in a FOB and with zealots armed to teeth heading "through the wire," then I would hope against hope that whatever lube that DOD provides is as good as it can possibly be. If that is CLP then so be it. If not, then what is it?

I have no real dog in the fight, being an old retired guy who doesn't live on the edge. I simply want the best value without getting blatantly ripped off. OK, so paying 9.95 for 1.5oz of "Super Duper Gun Lube" ain't that much money and that 1.5oz bottle will last me a good while at my rate of useage. But if I can buy a quart of "Super Duper Gun Lube" under its generic industrial machine or automotive label for $4.00/qt, divvy it up amongst friends for free, then that is pretty cool and makes me look "gun guy" smart.

That doesn't mean I can shoot worth spit, or even know how to save my butt with a firearm, but does give one a certain "all knowing" cachet where, as we know, "gun guys" know nearly everthing. "Gun guys" know how to solve the mortgage crisis, can fix American foreign policy, and know how to make women hot. Knowing the secret ingredient to gun lube would be like finding the Masons secret treasure to this "gun guy" because I can't do those other three "gun guy" things I just mentioned.

Craig

P.S. Back in 2001 I had two interesting conversations with petroleum experts. One was a patent holding hydraulic engineer who in his retirement had become a hydraulic consultant and patent agent. The other was a petroleum engineer from Exxon Mobil concerning protection properties of various lubes in fast moving hydraulic systems where wheel motors were used to move equipment. What I learned is that I don't know anything worth talking about in relation to molecular physics and chemistry. What I did learn that "junk" that goes into lube "concoctions" can have bad or good effects on equipment depending on composition of both lube and material being lubed under various heat or friction loads.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Craig:_____________

Interesting read. Thanks for posting it. It validates a quip that a gunsmith buddy of mine uses when he is asked about "the best gun lube". His answer: "....the one currently on sale at Brownells (...or, wherever you buy your gun cleaning stuff...)....".

Thanks again,

leroy

Guest nicemac
Craig:_____________

Interesting read. Thanks for posting it. It validates a quip that a gunsmith buddy of mine uses when he is asked about "the best gun lube". His answer: "....the one currently on sale at Brownells (...or, wherever you buy your gun cleaning stuff...)....".

Thanks again,

leroy

I worked with a successful race team once. I quickly found out what oil they trusted to protect their $40k race engine; whichever oil somebody would give them for free. This was a winning team with a major sponsor. No synthetic (unless it was free), just whatever they could get–any brand.

nicemac:_______________

Thanks for posting he note on the racing team. Looks to me alike another validation of "...they (...the good oils...) are all about the same...".

Keep up the good work.

leroy

Guest GunTroll

I personally enjoy paying a premium price for I really fall for the marketing, packaging, and advertising. But thats just me.

...I personally enjoy paying a premium price for I really fall for the marketing, packaging, and advertising. But thats just me. ...

I kinda got the same problem. I think it is gun nut related curiosity. I tend to watch a while, read a bunch of stuff, then buy "the next good stuff". Just bought a bunch of Slip2000 stuff and a quart of 5w-20 synthetic oil. I think it's part of the "gun techie derangement syndrome".

We may need to start a support group and meetings.

leroy

I think the whole debate of synthetic lubricants versus conventional is illogical. I put over 408,000 miles on a gasoline engine using standard Pennzoil. The engine never used a drop of oil between oil changes around 4-5K miles. As far as gun lube, I'd buy a tube of grease and lube the hell out of it.

I use the cheapest, crappiest oil that I can buy at the auto store to change my oil in my car....every one of my cars under this plan has lasted me over 150,000 miles. The other stuff breaks before the engine starts to lose compression.

I use ATF and Moly axle grease to lube my guns, and CLP to wipe them down. Have a couple of the 22 rifles that have been handed to 3 generations of shooters with many tens of thousands of rounds though them....They still look better than some of the guns my clumsy friends have had for just a couple of months.

I believe CLP is intended to lessen the amount of stuff in the logistics chain. I think it's a little light in the lubrication department. I've seen both M-4s and M-9s that started clean and minimally lubed with CLP choke after less than 100 rounds. A few drops of dedicated lube got them running perfectly again.

I personally enjoy paying a premium price for I really fall for the marketing, packaging, and advertising. But thats just me.

Exactly… :D

I doubt most shooters come anywhere near seeing the limits of one brand over another. Most of us keep our weapons clean and any quality lube works great.

Buying something with a cool name, cool looking container, and that makes outlandish claims while offering you your very high purchase price back if you are not totally satisfied is usually the way to go.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Mobile 1 5-20 synthetic and Lucas red grease. I keep a can of Remoil around, but I swear it's more for the smell than the lube. Plus I can spray the fire out of a gun I may be putting away for a time, and let it seep into tight spots.

Guys that use motor oil; Go to Michael's. Yeah that sissy mary craft shop our wives go to from time to time. Ask for generic dispenser bottles. They have different sizes and nozzle shapes, but they are placed sporadically [poorly!] around the store. I bought about dozen bottles in about 5 different size/shapes and $6 quart of Moblie 1 filled them all and now they reside all around this place.

I use the cheapest, crappiest oil that I can buy at the auto store to change my oil in my car....every one of my cars under this plan has lasted me over 150,000 miles. The other stuff breaks before the engine starts to lose compression.

I use ATF and Moly axle grease to lube my guns, and CLP to wipe them down. Have a couple of the 22 rifles that have been handed to 3 generations of shooters with many tens of thousands of rounds though them....They still look better than some of the guns my clumsy friends have had for just a couple of months.

I also use moly grease on most of my guns, especially the guns with full length rails like 1911's. It also works well on triggers because it stays in place pretty well. I have done nothing more than add moly grease to trigger parts on guns and had a decrease in the pull weight. The molybendum disulfide is some pretty slick stuff. I buy mine in the tube at Walmart for around $4 and that tube should last a while even with me cleaning my pistols after every use.

I also use a concoction of 50% ATF and 50% sythetic 10w30. It works pretty well as a protectant. It also works to thin the grease if the grease seems too thick for a particular weapon.

As far as cleaning crud I generally use either non chlorinated brake cleaner or WD40, depending on the weapon. I make sure to wipe the gun completely dry of either then use the 50/50 mix to protect the gun. I would never rely on WD40 to preotect anything, it is a cutting oil that evaporates and can gum up a gun pretty bad.

Dolomite

Guest bkelm18

Guys that use motor oil; Go to Michael's. Yeah that sissy mary craft shop our wives go to from time to time. Ask for generic dispenser bottles. They have different sizes and nozzle shapes, but they are placed sporadically [poorly!] around the store. I bought about dozen bottles in about 5 different size/shapes and $6 quart of Moblie 1 filled them all and now they reside all around this place.

Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for something to use other than dipping Q-Tips in the oil.

Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for something to use other than dipping Q-Tips in the oil.

I go to the farm supply and grab a couple of syringes, nothing big (I think they are 25CC). I dull the needle to make them safer the draw the ATF/oil mixture into it. It makes reaching those hard to reach areas easier. You can also very easily control the amount of oil you dispense.

And to keep the oil from leaking stick the needle into a foam earplug. Makes a great stopper.

Dolomite