Atlas Shrugged movie review?

seez52

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FWIW, Ebert totally panned it:

"...the most anticlimactic non-event since Geraldo Rivera broke into Al Capone’s vault. I suspect only someone very familiar with Rand’s 1957 novel could understand the film at all, and I doubt they will be happy with it."

"...So OK. Let’s say you know the novel, you agree with Ayn Rand, you’re an objectivist or a libertarian, and you’ve been waiting eagerly for this movie. Man, are you going to get a letdown. It’s not enough that a movie agree with you, in however an incoherent and murky fashion. It would help if it were like, you know, entertaining?"

Atlas Shrugged :: rogerebert.com :: Reviews

I didn't realize it's really just Part 1, too.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
I never thought much of Ebert when he disliked Raising Arizona and have ignored him after Napoleon Dynamite.

Wow! How could he not like the funniest movie ever made? No wonder I've never cared for Ebert!

Oh, pick any handful of movies, and any handful of the top critics, and you'll get wildly differing views, from each other and your own. That's why I said "FWIW".

I have a feeling Ebert may have pegged this one, though.

- OS

Guest 6.8 AR

Just got back from a packed three theaters in Nashville.

The movie stuck with the book quite well and it was cast

very well. Only thing I didn't like was Jim Taggart. He

was a dumpy, out of shape lazy goofball of an executive.

All the other main characters were right on.

It's part one, but part two is in production. There is no way they could have combined the whole book without

butchering the book.

Compared to what the typical audience watches, it was

a masterpiece. I almost got up and went outside when they were playing the previews. They were nauseating.

Many more were there than I expected. Lots of positive

comments as we walked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest 6.8 AR

That statement of Ebert's tells you how shallow that

idiot is. the one of "only someone that has read".

That book has sold how many copies? Look it up.

It will surprise you.

Guest 6.8 AR

No, the money speech was omitted.

That might have been left out for

time but it was an important

point on the book. Francisco made

up for it, though.

Guest 6.8 AR
If I haven't read the book should I even bother with the movie? I watched the trailer earlier and it was all over the place.

Erik, there were a lot of people in the audience who

had heard of Rand but hadn't read the book. Most of

those I talked with said they were going to now. The

crowd wasn't like a Friday night "Rocky Horror" crowd,

but I could tell they were diehard Rand fans. It really

felt good to see the age difference in the crowd, also.

There were a bunch looking like twenty somethings.

It wouldn't compare to the other movies I've seen. The

story is so believable and especially considering when

it was written. If you go you won't see Hollywood bull

and the kind of drama it produces. Ayn Rand was

above that. The story line is solid and very real, but

reading the book will almost have to follow.

Got a question for all you Randites. Earlier this week I noticed the movie was going to open on Friday. Just out of curiousity, I conducted a little poll at work. I went around and asked everyone if they would know what I was talking about if I asked them the question, "Who is John Galt?" What percentage do you think knew what I was refering to?

Got a question for all you Randites. Earlier this week I noticed the movie was going to open on Friday. Just out of curiousity, I conducted a little poll at work. I went around and asked everyone if they would know what I was talking about if I asked them the question, "Who is John Galt?" What percentage do you think knew what I was refering to?

If the people you asked were under 35, I'd guess 0%.

If it was a broader range, I'll say 20%.