The innapropriate night-time door knock...

Guest canynracer
Wow, that sends chills down my spine. Same scenario happened on a show I was watching on primetime TV...maybe Criminal Intent or some type of CSI show. Anyways, this well dressed guy would knock on doors w/ a injured cat/dog in his hands asking if it was the homeowner's. He would then sweet talk his way in to use the phone and before you knew it an accomplice appeared and there were 2 guys in the house. The ended up tying up families and killing everyone in the house. It was a really messed up episode, but really got me to thinking that something like this could happen. 3 other points of interest, they had cut phone lines, unscrewed the porch light bulb before knocking (I guess to be more discreet) and also had a cell phone scrambler so the homeowners were essentially w/o communication. Looks like you made the right choice by yelling through the door. Hope my story doesn't scare you, but that sounds all too familiar!

scared me!!! holy hell I am going on lockdown!!!! :rolleyes:

LOL...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sign is friggin AWSOME...did you make it or buy is somewhere

Thanks...Made it myself.

I have it in Microsoft Word .doc on the computer at the house. (I'm at work right now)

If you or anyone would like a copy just send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll send one to you.

Guest canynracer
After I put a "No Soliciting" sign on my door it slowed the salesmen down a fair bit, but after I put this sign up underneath it...

DeadlyForceSign.jpg

I don't think I've had a random knock since.

I like it, but I think it should read: if you unlawfully enter this residence you WILL be shot, and more than likely KILLED

my pit bull in the front yard deters alot of miscreants. he will come unglued at anyone stepping foot anywhere in the yard. he gets going, and then the neighbor a few houses down has a rott and it gets him going too. there arent too many problems around here. alot of young punks in the neighborhood and i made it well known that when i moved over here that i own a gun and if anyone wants to see how good it shoots, get caught screwing around on my property.

I don't open my door anymore after dark unless I know who is out there. My only concern now is what brand/weight etc. of 9mm ammunition will I need to penetrate my front door AND the guy on the other side (tall order I know).

The same guy visited one of my neighbor's house last night just before he came to my home. They did not respond to the knocking quickly enough for him to stay and then he sidled over to my place.

I guess we're gonna end up with a bloodbath on my street because there are a number of concerned gun-toters around here. I believe the gent was casing for an easy mark and hope he now has the message that there are none.

Guest canynracer

is your door steel??? I dont think you will have a problem penetrating...if you are real concerned, just make the first one in the mag FMJ.... I cant see it not penetrating though... any of the ammo experts on here know? With my Sigma being 9mm I would like to know too...I have a standard solid core door, and I am thinking I could penetrate it.

Dk what part of Knox are you in? I know here in South Knoxville there has been a lot of that type of thing going on. A guy will come to the door around 1-2am asking for money for insulin and another guy will wait in a van parked in the road.

And not too long ago there was a home invasion and that older man shot one of the guys that tried to get in... Thats really why i got my gun when i did.

Hey Guys,

Is it legal to shoot someone standing on the outside of your door?

If they didn't go away after repeated warnings and you feared for your life I'd say yes..but if you're not in any danger..and they're just standing there..I'd say no.

now if they started tearing things up? yah..you CAN but expect a big pain in the butt in court.

Just my opinion..and that ain't worth much..the best thing to do is ask your lawyer.

keep in mind, shooting someone is a political act. Speeding them on their way to that tunnel of light..is a political act. as such, it means that you will be judged by your peers as to the appropriateness of your actions.

the best person to ask is your lawyer, since he's the first one you should call after you help said critter slip his mortal coil. the SECOND call you should make is to the police...and practice keeping your mouth shut when they get there...greet them withOUT a weapon in your hand. show them where the weapon is that you used to help the bad guy on his journey to Sheol. that way they won't be nervous and you won't have to worry about them showing you their innovative choke-hold while they put handcuffs on you to make them feel safe.

:cool:

Edited by towerclimber37
Guest Engloid
If they didn't go away after repeated warnings and you feared for your life I'd say yes..but if you're not in any danger..and they're just standing there..I'd say no.

A "reasonable person" would have to feel their life was threatened. What this means is that if you're scared of the wind blowing, and go shooting up the town, you're gonna get in trouble. It's not so much what YOU are scared of, it's what you can convince a jury that you were scared of. If you convince them that you're a nutcase that thought the CIA planted bugs in your brain, and you shot through the door thinking it was them coming to get you, it will be hard to convince them that you were a "reasonable person."

In other words, a jury will hear your story and ask themselves if they would fear for their lives if they were in your shoes. If they wouldn't, you may be in trouble.

Guest TargetShooter84
Wow, that sends chills down my spine. Same scenario happened on a show I was watching on primetime TV...maybe Criminal Intent or some type of CSI show. Anyways, this well dressed guy would knock on doors w/ a injured cat/dog in his hands asking if it was the homeowner's. He would then sweet talk his way in to use the phone and before you knew it an accomplice appeared and there were 2 guys in the house. The ended up tying up families and killing everyone in the house. It was a really messed up episode, but really got me to thinking that something like this could happen. 3 other points of interest, they had cut phone lines, unscrewed the porch light bulb before knocking (I guess to be more discreet) and also had a cell phone scrambler so the homeowners were essentially w/o communication. Looks like you made the right choice by yelling through the door. Hope my story doesn't scare you, but that sounds all too familiar!

I do remember seeing that show, and ever since that came on, I've been leery about who I answer the door now, even though I rarely bother to look at nights because if I was expecting someone, they would've contacted my cell first.

Dk what part of Knox are you in? I know here in South Knoxville there has been a lot of that type of thing going on. A guy will come to the door around 1-2am asking for money for insulin and another guy will wait in a van parked in the road.

And not too long ago there was a home invasion and that older man shot one of the guys that tried to get in... Thats really why i got my gun when i did.

Yes, I do recall that happening in south knoxville, but its just not that area, the fort sanders area has been having those problems too. A friend of mine lives there and he was watching tv and he heard a knock, he answered, but he went outside (hes a strong guy) and the guy wanted to use his cell phone so he let him use it to call the police b/c he "saw a crime", but when the police came, he took off and went around the corner right into a patroling cruiser. Not sure what happened after that, but I assume he was detained.

Another thing that happened to my family, my grandmother lives alone but lives in a decent neighborhood, anyways, few weeks ago, some lady had came to her door, asking for a phone to call of a car trouble, that she had walked from the neighborhood entrance to her house, but my grandmother went out with her to the beginning of her driveway and saw that the girl's car WAS PULLED RIGHT TO THE GARAGE DOOR...my grandmother just kinda went back quietly while the woman wasnt looking and locked her door, then about 2 minutes later, a guy was out there with the woman and they left. We have told her that she was very lucky, and told her not to open the door to strangers anymore because, god forbid, the next time, she may not be so lucky.

Sorry to spook ya but thought I'd share this. You may want to warn your elderly folks.

A "reasonable person" would have to feel their life was threatened. What this means is that if you're scared of the wind blowing, and go shooting up the town, you're gonna get in trouble. It's not so much what YOU are scared of, it's what you can convince a jury that you were scared of. If you convince them that you're a nutcase that thought the CIA planted bugs in your brain, and you shot through the door thinking it was them coming to get you, it will be hard to convince them that you were a "reasonable person."

In other words, a jury will hear your story and ask themselves if they would fear for their lives if they were in your shoes. If they wouldn't, you may be in trouble.

see? thats why I say to call your lawyer and have a nice chat with him/her...explain to them your concerns and talk about a "what if" situation..

like as not, they'd figure it out with you and then you wouldn't have to worry...

then you can take one of their cards and keep it by the phone and another in your purse or wallet.

remember..they're the FIRST person you call...

and umm remember to keep your mouth shut when the police come..tell them you don't want to make a statement until your lawyer gets there.

they'll understand and they can't press you for one after that.

While in my home, if I felt the need to always have a gun with me, near me at all times or have various guns hidden throughout the house, I would move to a better zip code.

Otherwise, it makes you look like :tinfoil:

Day or night, I always checkout the person at the door and make my own determination if I will open the door or have a conversation through the door.

If I am unsure about the person and I decide to open the door, then I will open the door 2" and have the door braced with my body and one foot to prevent entry and possibly have a long knife in my hand that they cannot see.

I was kidding about the door penetration. I believe in most every instance the 'through door shoot' will be a one way ticket to a place where someone might think you have a 'nice mouth'.

I live on the edge of Ftn. City near Whittle Springs School so I do have a larger scumbag/redneck/idiot population than I would like but otherwise a generally quiet neighborhood. An incident like the one I described happens maybe twice a year (a smash grab from a car, etc.) so I do not have a desire to leave the area.

I am really just interested to know WTH the guy's plan was (casing for robbery, home invasion, random idiot, suicide by me or my neighbor). Guess if he shows up again I will ask him his what his real motives are. I'm sure he'll accommodate me with an answer

While in my home, if I felt the need to always have a gun with me, near me at all times or have various guns hidden throughout the house, I would move to a better zip code.

where is that place?

When I lived in Florida I worked at an exclusive country club that was gated and had armed guards patrolling the grounds and manning the gates. There was still a couple of home invasion type crimes in the seven years I was there.

Crime can be anywhere, your zip code does not preclude you. Kind of foolish to have a gun for self defense but not have it handy, even in ones home.