Carpenter bee loads

Guest Longshot1

I loaded up some 38 this morning. Used some of my crushed walnut tumble media. Punched out some wads using old gasket material. Primer, 1 grn bullseye, wad, fill with crushed walnut, another wad and compact with a pencil (eraser end first.)

Not to loud and good to about 4 feet.

Body count:

3 wounded disabling the navigation system, KIA with the Nike assault system.

1 blown out of the air.

I figured out that a 6', with the .38, my wadding and the bulk of the walnut media are about 2" low.

I think its time to load up some bee loads for my Model 92 lever gun in .45 Colt.

<Maude ! The creepy old man next door is playing cowboys & injuns again!>

Guest Longshot1

Bought a nickel plated Super Comanche last week. .410/.45 long colt. If you have never messed with one they are well worth the the asking price. You know where this is going....was out of bee loads and had not shot the new firearm. Several C bees flying around back deck. Now I live where I can shoot a .308 off the back deck so don't try this in Suburbia. Went out sat down with the Comanche loaded with #8 shot. Two bees messing together about handrail height in wide open space. BOOOOOOOM! Can't afford that on a regular basis but it was more fun than shooting paper.

Well if the thread is going to be alive again I will have another go:

you guys make a great SWAT team!

I gotta admit I am tempted, though my neighbors are so close I think just a primer would be too loud.. sigh.

Years ago I helped a friend move into his new house in Vermont. It was late summer and the houseflies were moving in for the winter, and we had the doors open all day. When he noticed all the flies that evening, he got out an old Benjamin pump pellet pistol in .177 and grabbed a handful of rabbit food, which fit perfectly. We spent the next 3 evenings dispatching every fly in the house. The "ammo" was frangible and would vaporize a fly on a window without breaking the glass. I'm going to get some rabbit food next time I'm out, press the Crossman 760 into service.

Don't you mean "Cowboys and Bumblebees"?

Heh.

Close enough for the neighbors.

For the purists out there, these are not bumblebees. You will rarely see them on a flower (if ever). While black & yellow, these bast**ds are about 2x bumblebee size, solitary,territorial (hang/hover around a specific area) & agressive (chase away ofther insects such as butterflies, and will buzz lawn mowers..imagine their suprise when I shoot them down while on the Cub Cadet).

And yes, as Enfield noted, they drill decks very efficiently. Bumblebees are opportunistic, and will occupy a hole, but there will be multiples of them, not solitary.

• 2 years later...

http://bugasalt.com/

Would this work? I mean its still fun, but dont risk upsetting neighbors if you have any.

my impression is that those are rather underpowered. 

My .38 lizard litter loads usually dissemble a yellowjacket at ~4', but mostly stun a carpenter bee (at which point they get stomped, too).

I am going to try rice on the next round.

While on topic, these so called "rice loads', how loud are they? And can you load lets say a rifle cartrige with the bkc? (bee killing compound). If so, it would be a LOT of fun running around with an AK and gunning these guys down. And I get to horrify the neighbors too. WIN WIN!

Mine are pretty loud, maybe 50-75% of .22 pistol. 

They will not cycle the action on a semi-auto.

Damn, you killed my joy. Oh well. What about a shotgun tho? Is it possible into making the worlds softest rice dove shots?

I am covered up with them and the old paddleball racquet isn't getting the job done.

I know this is a creative reloads discussion, but if you want more exercise  I highly recommend a quality squash racquet. As the saying goes; "racquet head speed kills"!

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel