Carpenter bee loads

Guest Longshot1

Guest TackleberryTom

I used the empty case method for cutting out my gasket material but after a few it kinda dulled the end of the case and I am too cheap to waste perfectly good 38 brass. I also used the gasket punch to make some thick rubber bullets. Those are fun too.

Loading 45acp brass with walnut media and a dipper of powder that is in my 45acp dies. Using a 45 long colt brass hull to cut my over powder and oversht cards.Found the rubberized cork gasket material 1/16 in. thick works really well. Walnut media works better than corn cob media and also tried grits but the walnut media patterns better. Loaded about 300 rounds this way with a dab of clear silicone on the overshot wad to seal the wad in place. Shot all of these in less than couple of weeks. Next batch I put a small roll crimp ,about .005 , to hold the overshot wad in place. Turned a small piece of walnut to make a packing rod for the wads over the powder and walnut media. Shooting them in a Smith and Wesson Brazilian revolver. These pattern in about a 6 inch pattern out about 4 feet. Too much fun.

I'll pay someone to load me about 20 or so in .38 brass....I wish I could get some for my .410.

I sent you a PM. I am NOT looking for payment or compensation but if you are near to me we could get toether and load up a batch or 9. LOL

Guest rebeldrummer
We typically use bb guns to shoot them with. This takes it to a whole new level!

^ this too! Challenging and a lot of fun!!

Guest rebeldrummer
I sent you a PM. I am NOT looking for payment or compensation but if you are near to me we could get toether and load up a batch or 9. LOL

pm replied sir...

Guest whtsmoke

A northerner thinking something has to be wrong with Tennessee you just cant be in your right mind, too much of that clear stuff you make down there.

A northerner thinking something has to be wrong with Tennessee you just cant be in your right mind, too much of that clear stuff you make down there.

Most of us are right in the head but I sure could have used some of those bee loads at the range today. The bumbly beasts were swarming.

Guest Longshot1

Somebody show the thread starter some love! I need a box loaded to use in my .38 LCR! I will pay you for your time. I threw my shoulder out using my old paddleball paddle. Things are killing my deck.

Somebody show the thread starter some love! I need a box loaded to use in my .38 LCR! I will pay you for your time. I threw my shoulder out using my old paddleball paddle. Things are killing my deck.

I am working up a load right now in 38 sp. I have loaded 5 rounds with 1 gr Blue Dot, 5 with 1.5 gr and 5 with 2 grains. Here in a few minutes I am going to weigh the walnut media and finish loading them. I hope to test them tomorrow. If I dont kill myself (joking) trying to kill bee's we can talk. I have been PMing Rebel about them and you just might be a good go between, as I dont make it to his area very often and you seem to be right in the middle of us.

So what is best to load with,walnuts,rice or what?Sounds like rice would be cheap.

Jeff

Think of rice as 00 buck, not as much in there but definitely more "knockdown". With Wanut media you get more of a chance of hitting but the hit might not be lethal like rice. Also, a 357 would be great because of the case length. You can get a lot of media or rice in there. I was using 9mm and getting decent results but I had to be close up because there isn't enough media to reach out. Or even better yet a 44 SPC, 44 MAG or 45 LC.

Thread coming soon: "What is best for bee defense, walnut or rice?" or the ever popular "9mm vs 45ACP vs 357 for bees?"

Dolomite

I loaded 5 rounds with 1 grain Blue Dot, 5 rounds of 1.3 grains, 5 rounds of 1.5, 5 rounds of 1.7 and 5 rounds with 2 grains. I was going to measure and weigh the walnut but decided it really didnt matter. I added two scoops from a .5 cc powder spoon and added a bit more until it got close to the top. After I do the dishes and vacuum (yes I am a house husband :) ) I will take them out and shoot them at blank sheets of paper at 5 feet and I will post pictures in a few hours.

Think of rice as 00 buck, not as much in there but definitely more "knockdown". With Wanut media you get more of a chance of hitting but the hit might not be lethal like rice. Also, a 357 would be great because of the case length. You can get a lot of media or rice in there. I was using 9mm and getting decent results but I had to be close up because there isn't enough media to reach out. Or even better yet a 44 SPC, 44 MAG or 45 LC.

Thread coming soon: "What is best for bee defense, walnut or rice?" or the ever popular "9mm vs 45ACP vs 357 for bees?"

Dolomite

What no .41 special?

I just finished the testing and I have rediscoverd something, shooting crap is FUN. LOL Of all the loads none of them fully penetrated the cardboard. I shot each piece of paper once and a piece of plywood once from 5 feet. All loads penetrated the printer paper target. The 1 grain load barely dented the plywood. The 2 grain load made some nice dents in the plywood. I have to get to the grocery store right now. I will post pictures this afternoon.

Edited by buck1032
Spellin' LOL

Here's the test result photos

P5021216.jpg

P5021217.jpg

P5021218.jpg

P5021219.jpg

P5021220.jpg

Over all I think the 1 grain would do the job for the least amout of powder used. Also that was a good amount to meadia "splash back" at 5 feet. All shots were from a Ruger GP-100 with a 2 inch barrel.

Guest Longshot1

That would be great. I think I am going to end up getting the minimum stuff to do it myself. I just put up a steel shop building that has a 24' overhang on one end. The starlings are tearing the insulation under the roof sheeting and building nests. The BB gun will shoot right through the roof. What and where is my best bet for a low end scale and primer tool?

That would be great. I think I am going to end up getting the minimum stuff to do it myself. I just put up a steel shop building that has a 24' overhang on one end. The starlings are tearing the insulation under the roof sheeting and building nests. The BB gun will shoot right through the roof. What and where is my best bet for a low end scale and primer tool?

With the minimal pressures of these loads I wouldn't worry about needing a scale. Find something that can measure a small amount uniformly and use it. I actually used a 3/16th bit driver as a measuring cup rather than weigh each load. All the bee loads sounded and acted the same for me.

As far as a cheap way to remove a primer use a small nail. Place the case over a hole that is small enough that the case doesn't fall through but large enough for the spent primer to drop through. Place the nail on the primer from the inside then smack it with a hammer to knock it out. After that just use a bench vice to seat the new primer. Make sure to wear glasses in case one goes off, very unlikely. I used this same method before I ever got any equipment to make some blackpowder loads for a single action in 38 special my father had. I found that there is no need to size the cases.

Dolomite

Guest Longshot1

Dolomite I sent a PM. I am squared away on the driver bit. Duh. I guess if recommendation is a little lite I go to a 1/4"!! Thanks for your direction. Will be getting supplies tomorrow. There will be death dealt to insects and birds by the weekend.

Guest Longshot1

Rounded up all supplies today. Reloaded a box of cartridges. Rain prevented stalking prey. Used grits instead of walnut hulls. Found some hulls at Pet Smart but couldn't see getting 10 lbs. Shot a bloom on tulip poplar at 5 feet and could see damage. Thanks Dolomite for the help. Saved me some bucks and got me going. When the bees, bee and the birds, bird this weekend they will be powdered.

I have had fun with this little adventure. So much so that I have posted this on a Harley board that I visit. There has been a bit of interest there and a buddy asked about pictures of the loading process so I took some today and posted it there and thought some here might like to see it as well.

Here's how I cut the waddings

P5041435.jpg

The components, primed case, two waddings, 1 grain of Blue Dot powder and approx 1.5 cc's of crushed walnut tumbling media

P5041429.jpg

I weighed each powder charge and added it to the primed case

P5041431.jpg

I lightly tamped the wadding over the powder

P5041432.jpg

Walnut is added

P5041433.jpg

And the final wadding is added over the walnut

P5041434.jpg