Carpenter bee loads

Guest Longshot1

Guest Longshot1

Totally agree this is a hoot. I am not satisfied with the grits load. The walnut media I found at Pet Smart was finer than what you show Buck. Do you have English or Black walnut hulls? Started to ask at the store but you talk about some strange acting folks. Could not tell man from woman from beast.

Wouldn't Bac-O-Bits work well?

Granny used rock salt and bacon rind in her shotty but why deal with cleaning after the salt? I'm sure the bits have enough salt to choke a horse and it may be sacrilege to waste perfectly good imitation bacon but that stuff is hard.

Longshot,

I dont know what sort of walnut my tumbling media is. I am still using up the huge bag that I bought years ago when I was stationed in San Diego. The next time I am over by PetCo I will stop in and look at the bag I saw. From what I could see through the clear bag it looked to be about the same size of stuff I use.

As far as bacon bits go, I would be afraid that I would attract more critters than I dispatched. LOL

I will release the grisly pictures of my kills.

I will agree to relase my kill photos as well.

Now if I can just get a box of loads up to Rebeldrummer and have him agree to relase his photos, we could start our very own new thread, The 2011 Carpenter Bee Masacre. LOL

The first casualties of war

P5051436.jpg

Not a carpenter bee. We have mason wasps killing the carpenter bees. Funny part was seeing all the carpenter bees relieved of their heads. The mason wasps use the holes for their own offspring. They place inch worms in the holes and mud them shut.

Dolomite

Guest rebeldrummer
I will agree to relase my kill photos as well.

Now if I can just get a box of loads up to Rebeldrummer and have him agree to relase his photos, we could start our very own new thread, The 2011 Carpenter Bee Masacre. LOL

Though the pics may be gruesome, and might cause political unrest....I promise to release them to the public. Also, the video just MAY make it to live leak? Just saying....

A word of caution should be said today after my afternoon "hunting". I did get one kill this afternoon and after I came back in I discovered that one of the waddings holding the walnut in had came out and I had crushed walnut every where. I had thought about that so I did melt some candle wax over some ofthem. My result was one of the non waxed ones didnt hold. Just an thought that some of you may want to take heed too.

I loaded my revolver with two rounds only until I was sure the "recoil" (such as it is) wouldn't jar the wads loose. I use an oversize wad (3/8 inch) over the shot and I jam it in hard with a metal rod. No wax needed so far.

Guest Longshot1

Guys, go to your auto parts store and get 1/16" cork gasket material. It has a rubber binder and the wads made with it will not come out.

Guys, go to your auto parts store and get 1/16" cork gasket material. It has a rubber binder and the wads made with it will not come out.

I have been trying to just use the stuff I have on hand and not spend too much money on this little adventure. But as I dont care to spend my time "waxing" I will most likely upsize my paper wads using a 41 LC case. If that fails I will bite the bullet (LOL) and buy some cork. :)

Guest Longshot1

Good weekend hunt. Two Carpenter bees and several red wasps. Red wasps were victims of trying to get loads dialed in. They were flying around, in season, so fair game. Grits are working out pretty well out to about 8 feet and they lose any lethal force.

You guys talked me into it! I think I've got all my stuff together. I'll begin load development as soon as possible. My barn will soon be on the ground if I don't do something soon. My boys have had limited success with plastic bats and airsoft pistols. I think this will be a lot more fun.