TN window Tint law question

vontar

OK, I have tried to find info on this

however, links that should take me to it lead me to dead ends

I had a link

Tennessee Window Tint Laws

Tennessee Code section 55-9-107: Motor vehicle windows with tinting, reflecting, or sun screen material

That took me to

Legal Resources

however, I tried and could not find 55-9-107 or anything about tint.

I found another site which I believe is pretty close to accurate

Welcome to TintLaws.com

However, my question is, related to what about trucks and other things you see driving around with almost painted designs on the back glass, classic example, Rebel flag or an American flag that can not be seen though. How are those considered? Not really tint but serves the same purpose right?

I have heard some people say the back glass does not matter but I don't believe that is exactly correct, but using the example of trucks with the black glass completely filled with something seems to make me wonder.

Reason I am wondering is the back window of my car is kinda dark and I am a bit worried it might be borderline. I have already peeled the tint from my Driver and passenger windows not because I was warned but because it was bubbled difficult to see though.

I don't want to peel the tint on the back glass because I don't want to mess up the rear defroster.

Anyway to determine if mine is 35 percent? I did not have it installed, it was on there when I brought the car years ago. I know were I live they are cracking down on window tint, I have had some friends at works been told to remove theirs. So I am trying to be proactive before I get a fix it ticket.

I remember when I got the car years ago, I was told it was legal, but that was just being told, and I remember being told then if I could hold a drivers license to the inside of the glass and read it though the tint it was legal but I am wondering what the current standard way to tell is.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

My Wrangler has fairly dark built-in tint on the back and side hard top windows, though the passenger windows and windshield appear un-tinted. If the factory tint is too dark to be legal, there isn't much I can do about it except pay somebody to replace the glass.

My eyes ain't great. I'd have preferred to have untinted back windows but I don't think any of the Wrangler factory hard tops come un-tinted. It is too difficult to see out the back windows thru the rear view mirror at night.

T.C.A. 55-9-107 is our tint law. Basically what it says is a passenger vehicle may not have any window with a light transmittal rating lower than 35% except for the manufacturer's factory shade band. This means all the way around the vehicle. Those graphics on glasses are illegal under this. There are exceptions for commercial vehicles, Law Enforcement vehicles, and subjects with the Department of Safety medical sticker.

I really wouldn't worry about it. Most of the TN cops don't enforce window tint. My windows are BLACK(per my choice) and I've never had a problem. I've been pulled over 11 times and only 1 time did the officer mention my tint and he didn't even write me a ticket for it or tell me I should get it removed.

but this thread might help clear up any confusion. http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/44987-what-law-window-tint.html

I don’t see anything in the code that exempts the back window. But I only looked at 55-9-107; it could be somewhere else.

Stop by a tint shop and have them check it. You could go by the Police Station, but they might write it down for you. :drama:

Window tint is free PC for a stop.

T.C.A. 55-9-107 is our tint law. Basically what it says is a passenger vehicle may not have any window with a light transmittal rating lower than 35% except for the manufacturer's factory shade band. This means all the way around the vehicle. Those graphics on glasses are illegal under this. There are exceptions for commercial vehicles, Law Enforcement vehicles, and subjects with the Department of Safety medical sticker.

Kinda what I thougth about graphics on the back glass.

DaveTn, I thought about asking one of the Local LEO's when I just happen to bump into one of them at City park or some place public if they would mind checking with out worry of getting written up to see what they would say.

I know my car is 2 dark for VA which "Must allow more than 50% of light in" on the sides

Edited by vontar
Guest Tiny G

From Performance Films :: Nashville, TN - Outstanding Window Tinting Services

When tinting a passenger car in the state of Tennessee. You are allowed a 35% Visible light transmitted film to be applied to all of the side and rear windows. You are also allowed up to a 6 in strip across the top of the front windshield in a 35% VLT. You will also need a compliance sticker in the driver door to show that the window film is in compliance with Tennessee state law. This sticker must have the name of the Company along with the phone number for the window tint installation to be legal.

When tinting the windows on a SUV's you are allowed to have a 35% VLT on the driver and passengers doors too. However, you are allowed to go as dark as you wish on any windows behind the driver and passengers doors.

A discussion of this very topic came up a while back. IIRC, the "street" way to tell if your tint was light enough without using a tint meter was to hold a dime up on the inside and try to read the date from the outside. If you can read the date, your ok.

Edit: Here you go, I did the search and found the thread I was talking about. Here it is.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/44987-what-law-window-tint.html

Edited by hardknox00001

Ting G makes the point of why I was trying to find the law on an offical site, cause if you compare it to the site I listed to what Tiny G listed they are opposed to each other.

Front Sides, Rear sides and Back are all 35 percent according to Welcome to TintLaws.com

I finally Found a direct link

http://www.tsc.state.tn.us/opinions/tcca/PDF/053/SmithMichaelNOPN.pdf which is actually a bit of a case.

However, with as much discussion seems there has been recent changes to the law maybe that are hard to find facts about.

55-9-107 - Motor vehicle windows with tinting, reflecting or sun screen material. :: 2010 Tennessee Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

well, the tint was on my car when I brought, there was not sticker in the door window and that window has been peeled as well.

I will just keep driving it. The Tint that is on my car is from many years ago, to late to worry about it now.

From Performance Films :: Nashville, TN - Outstanding Window Tinting Services

When tinting the windows on a SUV's you are allowed to have a 35% VLT on the driver and passengers doors too. However, you are allowed to go as dark as you wish on any windows behind the driver and passengers doors.

That is incorrect nowhere in TN law does it allow a rear window to be darker than 35%. Also you should be aware 35% is the total not just the film put on. If you have some factory tint like most vehicles do 35% on top of that will typically drop you to less than 35% light transmittal rating. Now if somewhere in the federal statute it states SUVs are legal then yes it would be legal by TN statute but I have tried making since of the federal statutes regarding window tint/film and I didn't see anything about it being legal for rear window.

Do it yourself is legal the sticker is for a professional installer. They can be issued a citation for installing illegal tint.

Edited by Pain103

55-9-107. Motor vehicle windows with tinting, reflecting or sun screen material. —

(a) (1) It is unlawful for any person to operate, upon a public highway, street or road, any motor vehicle in which any window that has a visible light transmittance equal to, but not less than, that specified in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205, codified in 49 CFR 571.205, has been altered, treated or replaced by the affixing, application or installation of any material that:

(A) Has a visible light transmittance of less than thirty-five percent (35%); or

(:D With the exception of the manufacturer's standard installed shade band, reduces the visible light transmittance in the windshield below seventy percent (70%).

(2) Any person who installs window tinting materials in this state for profit, barter, or wages or commissions is defined as a “professional installer” for the purposes of this section; and it is unlawful for a professional installer to apply tinting materials to any motor vehicle so as to cause that motor vehicle to be in violation of this section.

(3) All professional installers of window tinting materials shall supply and shall affix to the lower right corner of the driver's window an adhesive label, the size and style of which shall be determined by the commissioner of safety, that includes:

(A) The installer's business name; and

(:D The legend “Complies with Tennessee Code Annotated, § 55-9-107.”

(4) All professional installers of window tinting materials shall supply each customer with a signed receipt for each motor vehicle to which tinting materials have been applied that includes:

(A) Date of installation;

(B) Make, model, paint color and license plate number and state;

© The legend “Complies with Tennessee Code Annotated, § 55-9-107, at date of installation”; and

(D) The legend “This receipt shall be kept with motor vehicle registration documents.”

(5) The owner of any vehicle in question has the burden of proof that the motor vehicle is in compliance with this section.

(6) (A) The restrictions of this subsection (a) do not apply to any of the following motor vehicles:

(i) Any motor vehicle model permitted by federal regulations to be equipped with certain windows tinted so as not to conform to the specifications of subdivision (a)(1)(A) with respect to those certain windows;

(ii) Any motor vehicle bearing commercial license plates or government service license plates that are used for law enforcement purposes, for those windows rearward of the front doors; and

(iii) Any motor vehicle that is registered in another state and meets the requirements of the state of registration.

(B) This subdivision (a)(6) shall not be construed in any way to exempt the front door windows of any motor vehicle of any kind from the specifications of subdivision (a)(1)(A).

(B) (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of subdivision (a)(1) to the contrary, any person with a medical condition that is adversely affected by ultraviolet light may submit a statement to the commissioner from that person's physician certifying that the person has a medical condition that requires reduction of light transmission in the windows of the person's vehicle in excess of the standards established in subsection (a). The commissioner shall submit the certified statement to the department's medical review board for evaluation. If the review board finds the exemption warranted, it shall recommend that the commissioner authorize the exemption, and the degree of tinting exemption that is appropriate. The commissioner shall then supply a certificate or decal, indicating the degree of exemption, to the applicant who shall display it in the motor vehicle.

(2) Any applicant aggrieved by a decision of the medical review board or the commissioner may appeal in accordance with the provisions of the Uniform Administrative Procedures Act, compiled in title 4, chapter 5. The appeal may be made to the chancery court of the county where the aggrieved applicant resides at the option of the applicant.

© It is probable cause for a full-time, salaried police officer of this state to detain a motor vehicle being operated on the public roads, streets or highways of this state when the officer has a reasonable belief that the motor vehicle is in violation of subdivision (a)(1), for the purpose of conducting a field comparison test.

(d) It is a Class C misdemeanor for the operator of a motor vehicle to refuse to submit to the field comparison test when directed to do so by a full-time, salaried police officer, or for any person to otherwise violate any provisions of this section.

(e) The commissioner of safety shall establish a standardized method and procedure by which law enforcement officers can readily, and with reasonable accuracy, conduct a field comparison test to determine if a motor vehicle's windows are in compliance with this section.

Edited by Pain103

I used to work at a tint shop in Nashville....

On a passenger car no windows can be darker than 35%....on Suv's and trucks only the front two windows are subject to this and rear windows can be as dark as you like. Factory tint on Suv's is typically about 18% or so and it's tinted glass, not film so there's no removing it.

The only window tint ticket I've ever gotten was in Hogansville, GA. A little town on the way to Auburn, AL that funds a bunch of charger's and fly tahoes out of a tiny little town by sitting on the interstate and writing anyone and everyone tickets. I was doing 5mph under the speed limit in the right lane with my headlights on and got pulled over and slapped with a $180 ticket. I was polite and showed my HCP and got no consideration. I beat the ticket by showing documentation of removal of the film and pictures. I replaced it with 35% and I've been good since then.

Don't remove the film on the back window or you WILL damage the defrost. You need to take it to a shop that has a steamer. It's a little steamer attached to a wand. They steam heat the film which breaks down the glue and the film will pull off clean. If you scrape it with a razor blade you will damage the defrost. The only choice is to scrub it with a scuff pad and a solvent which will take forever...lol

I've been out of the business for a while but I heard from a buddy of mine in Nashville who tints windows that TN made it a primary offense. They can pull you over and it is now probable cause to search your car if you have illegally tinted windows. Stick with 35% and you'll be fine. Just get some good high quality metalized film that blocks a lot of heat and UV and it will do as much as dark film to keep you cool. I drive all over TN in a SUV with factory rear tinted glass, front 35%, and 80% on the windshield (not legal but it's basically invisible).

35% will actually read 33% on the cops little device so get a TCA code compliant sticker put under the film on the driver's window and get paperwork from the shop showing it's legal and keep it in your glove box. If the cop still insists to write you a ticket, just take that info into the courtroom and get it dismissed.

Edited by Kenstaroni

I've been out of the business for a while but I heard from a buddy of mine in Nashville who tints windows that TN made it a primary offense. They can pull you over and it is now probable cause to search your car if you have illegally tinted windows.

It is cause to pull you over, but it can’t be PC to search your car (unless they are going to tow the car).

But it does give them reason to stop you and talk to you,which can lead to many other things.

Edited by DaveTN
Guest TargetShooter84
the shop i go to will tell you it is illegal if it is to dark but will put it on if you tell them to.

This.

Mine is 15% all around and no problems.

I hate the throw a monkey wrench into the discussion, but more police are using window tint as an excuse, um, reason, to make a stop to initiate a friendly discussion about alcohol, drugs and weapons. Just so you know, if they find anything else, their report reads something to the effect, that they stopped the vehicle for window tint and gave the driver a verbal warning. I've seen this is more DUI arrests of late.

(3) All professional installers of window tinting materials shall supply and shall affix to the lower right corner of the driver's window an adhesive label, the size and style of which shall be determined by the commissioner of safety, that includes:

(A) The installer's business name; and

(B) The legend “Complies with Tennessee Code Annotated, § 55-9-107.”

(4) All professional installers of window tinting materials shall supply each customer with a signed receipt for each motor vehicle to which tinting materials have been applied that includes:

(A) Date of installation;

(B) Make, model, paint color and license plate number and state;

© The legend “Complies with Tennessee Code Annotated, § 55-9-107, at date of installation”; and

(D) The legend “This receipt shall be kept with motor vehicle registration documents.”

Thanks for posting that. Does anyone know what the "commissioner of safety determined"?

I can't say that I have ever seen a shop put a sticker on a window.

(2) Any person who installs window tinting materials in this state for profit, barter, or wages or commissions is defined as a “professional installer” for the purposes of this section; and it is unlawful for a professional installer to apply tinting materials to any motor vehicle so as to cause that motor vehicle to be in violation of this section.
I guess I was a professional installer :P

I guess I can add "professional tint installer" to the ole resume now. That sound much better then "I installed tint in my garage :shrug:

I hate the throw a monkey wrench into the discussion, but more police are using window tint as an excuse, um, reason, to make a stop to initiate a friendly discussion about alcohol, drugs and weapons. Just so you know, if they find anything else, their report reads something to the effect, that they stopped the vehicle for window tint and gave the driver a verbal warning. I've seen this is more DUI arrests of late.

I was doing it in the 70's; thats what I meant by my statement in post #5.

Equipment violations are golden. The Judge can't rule that was no PC for the stop; even if you are a Tennessee Titan.

Window tint, license plate light, tail light out, No front plate (in some states); all that kind of stuff is better than a moving violation when you suspect DUI or drugs. It's just good Police work.

But if you stop for couple after work or have drugs in your car; the window tint is free pass for a stop.

I'd just like to address those back window graphics on trucks. Most of those are see through when you get closer. They are like a mesh. And from the inside, you can see clearly out.

I'm not aware of any law these violate.