HCP waiting time

Guest TennMan

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I though the sheriffs approval was a thing of the past no longer preformed :P

It is still preformed...in fact a bill passed last year to send $15 of the $115 to the local sheriff for his part in checking the truth of the application. HB3410/SB2720

There were bills to lower the HCP fee from $115 to $100, instead they decided to leave it at $115 and send the $15 to the sheriff.

Edited by Fallguy

I am 1 month to the day and called 866-849-3548 (toll-free). they are going to issue mine TODAY!!!

But there is a catch, im not sure if you all remember or not but some idiot put the receipt serves as Temporary Handgun Carry Permit sticker on my initial application. Scared them into sending it to me.:lol::dirty:

They do want me to fax them my receipt too. So dont get any big ideas!

I called them and said, yeah ive got my receipt and it says I can go ahead and carry so. She said, OH NO Honey! I should of tried that a month ago when I got it.

Edited by Hooker771
Just found out today that I will be receiving my HCP in the next week. I turned in my paperwork on July 30, and got my fingerprints on the 5th. I called today on a lark and they said I had been approved and would receive it in the mail in 7-10 days (I'm guessing sooner since I live in Nashville). :cool:

Your last name Naifeh?

- OS

Guest Docstang

Woot, mine came in the mail today. I applied and was fingerprinted the first week in June. Called last week and they apologized for any difficulty my not having my permit has caused me and I should get it in 7-14 business days. I guess 7 days isn't to bad. My brother in law called the same day I did and they told him his had been issued on the seventh and he got his today also. I guess they just wait and send a bunch of them out on the same day. Now I am off to Walmart, but I can no longer shop at American Signature:D

Guest mn32768

I got mine today, after a total of 108 days, and 10 business days since the DoS HCL office said they had issued the permit.

I emailed Ms. Knight on 8/10/08 and received this reply:

"The print farm printed your permit on 8/11/08, which hopefully you should receive today.

When we received your background check it was scanned into a new system that we began using in January of this year. However the new system had a glitch in the program and it did not transfer your approval over to the history screen for our unit to view and allow us to issue. We have a team of people working diligently on the issues we are having with this new system and we are trying to correct the problem. We apologize for the delay in processing your application in a timely manner.

To answer your question we do try and it is our intent to issue all permits within 90 days of the application, which would include the print farm.

Currently we have 8 employees to process and issue all handgun permit applications, process letters for denials and revocations, while they answer the phone calls from our customers. As of 8/13//08 we have 202,922 valid permit holders. IN 2007 the average number of permits processed per month was 4,800 and the average number of permits issued per month was 4,000. "

This may be the reason why phone calls work, their computer system does not tell which applications are pending so they don't pull applications up until someone calls and asks. On the other hand, HCP office pulls in $5.7 million a year in state revenue, and they have only 8 employees??? Something doesn't add up.

To answer your question we do try and it is our intent to issue all permits within 90 days of the application, which would include the print farm.

Currently we have 8 employees to process and issue all handgun permit applications, process letters for denials and revocations, while they answer the phone calls from our customers. As of 8/13//08 we have 202,922 valid permit holders. IN 2007 the average number of permits processed per month was 4,800 and the average number of permits issued per month was 4,000. "

This may be the reason why phone calls work, their computer system does not tell which applications are pending so they don't pull applications up until someone calls and asks. On the other hand, HCP office pulls in $5.7 million a year in state revenue, and they have only 8 employees??? Something doesn't add up.

When does bloated bureaucracy EVER make sense?:D

I think you may be correct on the phone call reasoning.

Congrats on receiving your permit! I just received mine, too.

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
Just found out today that I will be receiving my HCP in the next week. I turned in my paperwork on July 30, and got my fingerprints on the 5th. I called today on a lark and they said I had been approved and would receive it in the mail in 7-10 days (I'm guessing sooner since I live in Nashville). :2cents:

Damnit! I turned in my paperwork on the 29th and was fingerprinted the same day. I just called and was told they are waiting on background checks and was told not to call back.

IIRC, you had to provide a five year address history. For me that is 5 different addresses in 3 different states. But then again I've bought 3 handguns in the last 5 months and haven't had any issues with TICS.

Guest eyebedam
Damnit! I turned in my paperwork on the 29th and was fingerprinted the same day. I just called and was told they are waiting on background checks and was told not to call back.

IIRC, you had to provide a five year address history. For me that is 5 different addresses in 3 different states. But then again I've bought 3 handguns in the last 5 months and haven't had any issues with TICS.

Do you know who you talked to? Id give it another week & call back anyways. I got all my stuff turned in 2 weeks ago yesterday but I think Ill give it to the 30 day mark before I make te first call.

Guest eyebedam
Just found out today that I will be receiving my HCP in the next week. I turned in my paperwork on July 30, and got my fingerprints on the 5th. I called today on a lark and they said I had been approved and would receive it in the mail in 7-10 days (I'm guessing sooner since I live in Nashville). :D

So Did i t come or were they yanking your chain? Or were you yanking ours? Congrats if you got it though it is record timing.

I was printed and turned in the paperwork on 6/30/08.

Day 57: The representative who answered said that she didn't have a computer on her desk, so she would take my number and Stephanie would call me back.

No call back.

Day 59: This time I spoke with Linda. Her first response was that "we're on a 90 day cycle..."

I nicely dug a little more and she looked a bit more and confirmed that all of my background checks are complete. I said "Oh good, that means I should be getting it soon, right?"

Well, not according to Linda.

The next step is that the application has to be scanned. Unfortunately, that is in another area and their system is down for maintenance until at least Tuesday. She can't do anything until my application is scanned. For now, it is probably in the stack down there and they have no way of predicting when it might make it into the computer. She told me that if I could fax her the application on Tuesday, then she would be able to move it along.

This definitely feels like the run-around, but I'll go ahead and fax it to her as she requested. Can't hurt I guess.

Geez...

This is the craziest process I've ever seen. I've made three rounds of calls. Never talked to the same person twice. Never went away feeling like I had really gotten a straight answer.

Edited by Buzz
Miscounted days
Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA

Today (8/27/08) would be day 59 if treat 6/30/08 as day one, so I'm a little confused. But I won't hold it against you.

I definitely got the impression that they really don't know what they are doing. Typical government. I wonder if they have high turnover there?

Today (8/27/08) would be day 59 if treat 6/30/08 as day one, so I'm a little confused. But I won't hold it against you.

I definitely got the impression that they really don't know what they are doing. Typical government. I wonder if they have high turnover there?

My guess is no.

It's a state job.

People tend to hit the Peter Principle in a year or two and stay on long term.

They've had some temps answering phones. At least I was told that.

Including the one who gave the bogus 90+90 day "cycle" falsehood out to more than one member here. Who supposedly "no longer works here".

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Even in my Conceal class they said it would take 90 days. You all knew what you were getting in to. I know they could probably do it in a month, but once you set a standard people tend to shoot for it giving them lax time. Especially in the govt.

Even in my Conceal class they said it would take 90 days. You all knew what you were getting in to. I know they could probably do it in a month, but once you set a standard people tend to shoot for it giving them lax time. Especially in the govt.

I was told "they are running 4 to 6 weeks".

- OS

I got all my paperwork done and printed on July 24th.

Today was a great day!! I called the DoS on Friday (AUG 22nd) to inquire about my HCP. I was polite and explained that I was out of the country. Jennifer asked my to fax her my yellow application.:D HHMMM, well this becomes an issue since I'm 1/2 the distance of the world away from that paper. I asked her if I could have it scanned and email it to her. She said that would be fine. I got a copy of the app and emailed it on AUG 25th.

Got an email today (28th) saying it will be issued in 7-14 days!!;):wall:

Edited by ukerduker

Did they also tell you that you don't have to conceal? :wall:

I got all my paperwork done and printed on July 24th.

Today was a great day!! I called the DoS on Friday (AUG 22nd) to inquire about my HCP. I was polite and explained that I was out of the country. Jennifer asked my to fax her my yellow application.:eek: HHMMM, well this becomes an issue since I'm 1/2 the distance of the world away from that paper. I asked her if I could have it scanned and email it to her. She said that would be fine. I got a copy of the app and emailed it on AUG 25th.

Got an email today (28th) saying it will be issued in 7-14 days!!:clap::up:

That makes me feel a little better to know that somebody else was requested to fax in their yellow application.

Since my confidence in the process is already low, it didn't make any sense why I'd been given instructions to fax in the application. However... looks like that actually helped.

That makes me feel a little better to know that somebody else was requested to fax in their yellow application.

Since my confidence in the process is already low, it didn't make any sense why I'd been given instructions to fax in the application. However... looks like that actually helped.

From my conversation with Jennifer, it sounds like there is a disconnect between her computer and the applications. After reading this forum, I would think of it like this:

When a HCP applicant is asked for the "yellow copy", the individual on the phone sees no issues on their computer, the background checks are done, and you are approx 7-14 days away from getting the permit.

I like the email option, as it was going directly to a person rather than a fax machine. I would suggest to anyone just applying, wait 3-4 weeks then call. That call seems to be the magic bump to the front of the line.

Guest eyebedam

Does anyone have MsKnights email addy? I looked on the gov website but all it had listed was some phone numbers. I was gonna send her a email to see if my stuff was back.

Guest lci419
Just found out today that I will be receiving my HCP in the next week. I turned in my paperwork on July 30, and got my fingerprints on the 5th. I called today on a lark and they said I had been approved and would receive it in the mail in 7-10 days (I'm guessing sooner since I live in Nashville). :koolaid:

Today is a great day, my card arrived in the mail and I have joined the swelling ranks of permit holders. I'm still in shock that it took exactly 30 days from turning my paperwork in, until I had it in my hand. Guess I'll have to make the obligatory Wal-Mart visit now!

:2cents: