HCP waiting time

Guest TennMan

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as an update, my wife called about hers on Friday -- the day after she was told that they would issue it -- and was told rather impatiently that they had issued it on Thursday and it had gone out in the mail.

So we'll see if it actually shows up or not. :crazy:

We're technically on Day #97 or so now.

Hopefully she will get it soon.

Remember though there counting didn't start till they got the application and it stopped when issued, no matter when she actually gets it. :(

Remember though there counting didn't start till they got the application

To somewhat differ: Was confirmed by Lisa Knight personally to me that day fingerprints are done starts the clock. Assuming you do it on same day as application, then the application date is the beginning. Of course, both these datas are supposed to be transmitted to Nashville daily, so "receive" date should be same as "did date".

and it stopped when issued, no matter when she actually gets it. :crazy:

Correct. Will have issue date on renewal, regardless of when you actually get it in mail (or not).

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
To somewhat differ: Was confirmed by Lisa Knight personally to me that day fingerprints are done starts the clock. Assuming you do it on same day as application, then the application date is the beginning. Of course, both these datas are supposed to be transmitted to Nashville daily, so "receive" date should be same as "did date".

- OS

Well Lisa would be in the know. I was just going by T.C.A.

39-17-1351(l)

The department shall issue a permit to an applicant not prohibited from obtaining a permit under this section no later than ninety (90) days after the date the department receives the application. A permit issued prior to the department's receipt of the Tennessee and federal bureaus of investigation's criminal history record checks based upon the applicant's fingerprints shall be subject to immediate revocation if either record check reveals that the applicant is not eligible for a permit pursuant to the provisions of this section.

Well Lisa would be in the know. I was just going by T.C.A.

Yes, of course you are correct.

I guess we are saying same thing.

Since the permit office should receive the info the same day as it is submitted by you, since it's not carried by the same mailman who must WALK the issued permit from Nashville to your mailbox in 7-14 days :crazy:

(yeah, I know "issue date" means it still has to be printed and whatever before posting).

Matter of fact, had heard such horror stories before doing my paperwork, I actually paid the few bucks extra at the fingerprint place to get the electronic proof of receipt.

And it still took almost the whole 90 days before I had it in hand.

More thoughts on all this later...

- OS

I think we are pretty close at least... :(

Not really sure how the application and the rest gets to Nashville from what ever local DOS station you go to.

But at least there is a time limit, even if it is stretched, for new applications....I'm just worried about my renweal coming next year...:crazy:

But at least there is a time limit, even if it is stretched, for new applications....I'm just worried about my renweal coming next year...:crazy:

Well, just don't do it online, do at DMV so you have the paper receipt; that way it doesn't matter how long it takes, you're still good to carry.

- OS

Great news today!! I was talking to my other half last night and asked if I had received anything from the TN DoS. (As you can tell I'm not home, or even in the country.) After a digging through the pile of mail, she said yeah, "you got some letter". Nothing important to her, but a HUGE deal to me!! :(:up:

After opeing it, she said it looks like your new drivers license. Aparrently I had this sitting on my counter for the last 3 days. Doesn't matter because I currently have the right to carry with no need for a permit. :crazy:

Great news today!! I was talking to my other half last night and asked if I had received anything from the TN DoS. (As you can tell I'm not home, or even in the country.) After a digging through the pile of mail, she said yeah, "you got some letter". Nothing important to her, but a HUGE deal to me!! :P:D

After opeing it, she said it looks like your new drivers license. Aparrently I had this sitting on my counter for the last 3 days. Doesn't matter because I currently have the right to carry with no need for a permit. :)

And your service is appreciated. God bless you and all our troops in harms way.

Guest AeroEngrSoftDevMBA
Damnit! I turned in my paperwork on the 29th and was fingerprinted the same day. I just called and was told they are waiting on background checks and was told not to call back.

IIRC, you had to provide a five year address history. For me that is 5 different addresses in 3 different states. But then again I've bought 3 handguns in the last 5 months and haven't had any issues with TICS.

Okay so today is 6 weeks to the day since I submitted the application and was fingerprinted (all in the same day).

I just called and Jaunita told me that all of my approvals were in and that she would issue the permit today. 7-10 business days.

The question I didn't ask (because I didn't want to piss anybody off during this "delicate" time) is, "If all of my approvals are back, why hasn't it been issued already? How long have they been back? Why did I have to call?"

Either way, I'm happy that it's "supposedly" going to be issued, especially if it actually happens today (day 42).

Will update when/if I actually get the thing.

Guest tnmale46
Today is day 28 for me I just called and was told by Linda that I would recieve mine in 7 to 14 days. I will be on mailman watch now. Wooohoooo
congrats i guess i need to call soon
Guest mn32768
The question I didn't ask (because I didn't want to piss anybody off during this "delicate" time) is, "If all of my approvals are back, why hasn't it been issued already? How long have they been back? Why did I have to call?"

The Handgun Permit Office computer system has been down since January, so they don't get notifications when all HCP application approvals are in. Instead, they have to pull the records manually every time. This is why ppl are getting their permits issued when they call, otherwise it's wait, wait, wait...

Guest unreconstructed1

day 21 for me. I called today and they informed me that they were still waiting on my background check, and that it should be another 2-3 WEEKS!?!?

hell, I don't even have a jaywalking blurb on my record, much less something that would disqualify me, why exactly would it take that long?

day 21 for me. I called today and they informed me that they were still waiting on my background check, and that it should be another 2-3 WEEKS!?!?

hell, I don't even have a jaywalking blurb on my record, much less something that would disqualify me, why exactly would it take that long?

Dozens of reasons. Call back tomorrow and if you get a different person I guarantee you that you'll get a different answer, good or bad.

The TBI and your sheriff each have 30 days to do each of their checks. Some sheriff's may wait the whole 30 days or not even return it at all then the DOS has to wait the 30 days to know they aren't going to.

Okay so today is 6 weeks to the day since I submitted the application and was fingerprinted (all in the same day).

I just called and Jaunita told me that all of my approvals were in and that she would issue the permit today. 7-10 business days.

Either way, I'm happy that it's "supposedly" going to be issued, especially if it actually happens today (day 42).

Will update when/if I actually get the thing.

I pedict you will get on or before the 17th. The average is 8 days. Mine was issued Jukly 16, it arrived on the 24th.

Good luck. Don't get too antsy.

:tinfoil:

Mine arrived yesterday, which made it exactly one month and two days. :eek:

After what I've read on this board, I can't believe I got it so fast without having to call or anything. I wonder if the age of the applicant or their location factors in at all in how long it takes...