Thinking about a Versipack

I've had that happen to me with Optics Planet four times!!!! Go all the way through the order process, and then it says 'On backorder". I've canceled every time. The secret is to go on the site when the 'Live Chat' is online, and ask if your desired product is available. Only takes a couple minutes and they give you real-time info. I only EVER order Maxped stuff from OP, MidwayUSA or LAPolice Gear. Rarely, Amazon.

I wondered about that. OP lists eleventygillion things for sale, there's no way they've got all that stuff "in stock". We'll see what happens.

...dude, roll your own! Check YouTube.

Tempting, but I have one of those "pee in a cup" jobs. Besides, bongs work much better. :P

A coworker's grand-daughter makes para-cord bracelets and such. I've commissioned some zipper pulls.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker

As an update, I got the Maxpedition Malaga in the mail from MidwayUSA yesterday. I spent a few hours with it last night, trying to make the shoulder strap work for me. I'm not sure that I like it much. I like the bag, but the strap is not going to work for me. I'm going to give it a few more days.

I'm not sure that I'm ever going to be a versipak kind of guy, considering now that I have gone through trials with a Jumbo, Colossus and now Malaga. My Maxped Operator bag gets daily carry and work out. It's essentially my work briefcase. It would just be tough to haul around as a GHB should that need arise. Of course at that point, I'll be glad I had anything to get by with. If worse comes to worst, I could always outfit another Operator Attache as a GHB/BOB.

I might end up sending back the Malaga and getting a Doppelduffel. At least I could use it as luggage in its down time. Decisions...

Guest Bronker

As an update, I got the Maxpedition Malaga in the mail from MidwayUSA yesterday. I spent a few hours with it last night, trying to make the shoulder strap work for me. I'm not sure that I like it much. I like the bag, but the strap is not going to work for me. I'm going to give it a few more days.

I'm not sure that I'm ever going to be a versipak kind of guy, considering now that I have gone through trials with a Jumbo, Colossus and now Malaga. My Maxped Operator bag gets daily carry and work out. It's essentially my work briefcase. It would just be tough to haul around as a GHB should that need arise. Of course at that point, I'll be glad I had anything to get by with. If worse comes to worst, I could always outfit another Operator Attache as a GHB/BOB.

I might end up sending back the Malaga and getting a Doppelduffel. At least I could use it as luggage in its down time. Decisions...

Ma, sorry you don't like it. I love mine! The strap isn't great for extended carry, but I only carry mine to and from the car for the most part. I took off the small strap and just use the bigger one, throw it over my shoulder and go. My ONLY issue is I think i need something bigger, which is why I am interested in an Operator style like you have....

is there a market for zipper pulls ?

I make my own but never thought there would be a demand..

the UTG or Jumbo are looking good to me... Erik88 is that setup for strong side carry or cross draw ?

was wondering the difference between it and a Jumbo S for left side carry as far as drawing..

John

Edited by LngRngShtr
is there a market for zipper pulls ?

I make my own but never thought there would be a demand..

the UTG or Jumbo are looking good to me... Erik88 is that setup for strong side carry or cross draw ?

was wondering the difference between it and a Jumbo S for left side carry as far as drawing..

John

I have actually carried it on both sides. But honestly I don't plan on carrying this bag much. It is more of a "go" bag then anything. I rides on my passenger seat and I'll be using it at the beach in a few weeks.

Guest Bronker

Sent the Malaga back to MidwayUSA. Going to Outpost Armory in the morning to peruse the stock a bit. Want to try on a Kodiak and a Vulture II.

Feeling pretty sure about the Doppelduffel. Thanks for keeping this thread open. It's a place for me to vent my murse-crisis.:)

Sent the Malaga back to MidwayUSA. Going to Outpost Armory in the morning to peruse the stock a bit. Want to try on a Kodiak and a Vulture II.

Feeling pretty sure about the Doppelduffel. Thanks for keeping this thread open. It's a place for me to vent my murse-crisis.:D

I carry a Kodiak equipped with a Camelbak bladder when I ride my bike. Nice and big, and the gearslinger design lets you access your stuff without removing the pack. I think you'll like it.

I had the the Monsoon gear slinger and did not care for it at all. I used it a few times when hiking and although it was nice that you could access the pack without taking it off, it didn't disperse the weight evenly. I found it to be extremely uncomfortable. YMMV

Guest Bronker

Anyone have any history with Tactical Tailor?

My choices are down to this:

Tactical Tailor Soft Suitcase

Soft_Suitcases1_350.jpg

Maxpedition Doppelduffel

maxdoppelduffel_kha.jpg

Juan Valdez El Versipaque de DonkeyDuffel

donkey.jpg

I would say go with the DonkeyDuffel but it might be tough to get through customs :(

Oh the possibilities....

Bronker - I've also got a "gearslinger" type bag and have used it hiking. It's handy and reasonably comfortable as long as you don't put anything very heavy in it. They're excellent for stuff that's lightweight and bulky, but when the load goes up (>20lbs) the one I have gets uncomfortable and unstable real quick. I much prefer a regular backpack. If the extent of your hiking is from the door to the car, it'll work fine.

Peej,

did you get your UTG bag yet?

No. :-\ Today is day 6 of their 7-10 days before it ships. I'm trying to be patient. I'm compiling a list of stuff that will live in it because I'm nerdy like that. That sounds like a good thread extension...

Here's my list (a work in progress):

Small flashlight (single AAA or keychain type LED light. maybe a 3 AAA light)

bug spray

sunscreen

small first aid kit (bandaids and such for minor booboos, tylenol, benadryl, cortizone, etc. )

keychain thermometer/compass thingy

pen and note pad

A couple diapers

small container of wipes

disposable changing pads

hand sanitizer

$20

... obviously the gun, camera, phone, keys, and those sorts of things will be in there too, but they'll come and go as needed.

What's in your bag?

diapers!!!! :eek: you sir are a badass!!

I've got the usual- Fenix pd31, Spyderco, spare mag(or 2), first aid, 550 cord, h20, pen/paper/sharpie, Freeze +P, lighter, matches, etc etc. I'm mall ninja certified.

Guest Bronker
I carry a Kodiak equipped with a Camelbak bladder when I ride my bike. Nice and big, and the gearslinger design lets you access your stuff without removing the pack. I think you'll like it.

Post some pics?:)

Guest Bronker

Well, I had the opportunity to get my mitts on some Maxpedition gear today. I was quite surprised at what my findings were. As many of you know, it's impossible to gauge the fit and size of their gear unless you are in person. Today, I was quite surprised that certain gear that I had assumed was way too small and not an option, were in fact...perfect.

Enter the Sitka Gearslinger, and the Falcon II. Neither of these were ever on my option radar before. Assumed they would be two small. I was pleasantly surprised that even though they are not even the larger versions within their own categories, they were the most comfortable things I've tried thus far.

The con's of the Sitka: I don't like the orientation of the pockets. Seems like if you pack in one orientation of the bag, as soon as you 'sling' it, it would all dump. Does that make sense?

The con's of the Falcon II: I'm still trying to find one. Granted, it's a smaller, narrow bag, and looks like a spam can strapped to a bulls back (I'm 6'7" and 350), it is very comfortable and fits across my shoulders very well.

Falcon II it is...:D

falcon_2.JPG

Post some pics?:)
Sorry. Just now saw this. Why in God's name would you want to see pics of me on my bike?? :D

Anyway, it looks like you found something with which you're happy, so kudos! I'm still thinking about picking up a two-strap pack myself, and the Falcon II is on my short list. :)