Spouse - Shooting & Enjoyment

Guest atomemphis

Guest atomemphis

Trying to get the fiance more 'excited' about shooting and guns.

Here's the background: She enjoys riding on the back of the motorcycle and wants to learn to ride one day. So she's certainly adventurous. I took her shooting awhile back and taught her the basics with a 10/22 and a 9mm. Things went well, she had fun and did pretty well for a first-timer. (I'm told that its not uncommon for women to be pretty good shots).

I'm hoping to get her more 'excited' about guns and accessories. By that, I mean I'm trying to get her excited about me buying this-and-that gun related thing, or involved in a gun-related conversation.

Any suggestions on ways to make the hobby more of "our" hobby, and less of a hobby of mine that she participates in occasionally?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to get the fiance more 'excited' about shooting and guns.

Here's the background: She enjoys riding on the back of the motorcycle and wants to learn to ride one day. So she's certainly adventurous. I took her shooting awhile back and taught her the basics with a 10/22 and a 9mm. Things went well, she had fun and did pretty well for a first-timer. (I'm told that its not uncommon for women to be pretty good shots).

I'm hoping to get her more 'excited' about guns and accessories. By that, I mean I'm trying to get her excited about me buying this-and-that gun related thing, or involved in a gun-related conversation.

Any suggestions on ways to make the hobby more of "our" hobby, and less of a hobby of mine that she participates in occasionally?

find another woman that likes shooting..that way they can go to the range, shoot and have a gabfest. other than that, challenge her :) put some targets up downrange, and coach her until she can get 1-10 rounds into the 10 ring..

if she's like you, and likes dramatic, put a few cans of soup out there and let her blow em up..

Guest EasilyObsessed

If she does like shooting, ask her which parts of shooting interest her, or what might interest her?

I.e. Sporting clays, long range target shooting and/or reloading/ballistics, Class III Toys (suppressors or full autos), big bore revolvers, competition (IDPA or USPSA), bench rest target shooting, blowing up watermelons, mil-surp weapons, etc....

My father and I found that when it comes to shooting my sister most enjoys getting bullets into the "X". She generally has the most fun taking out my 10/22 and putting 50+ bullets in a quarter sized group at 25 yards, breaking clays or cutting a aluminum can in half. Im working on converting the AR15 into being easier for her to shoot in an effort to promote her interest.

She enjoys pistols as well, but has a bit of trouble racking the slide so we are looking at picking up a P22 to help make it more enjoyable.

Guest atomemphis

oh, ha. i now see the alternative meaning to thread title.

and in other news, one of my local shooting buddies told me teaching her to shoot was a terrible idea (his reason was it was a big deterrent for him getting girlfriends...) I 'think' he was joking.

if she's like you, and likes dramatic, put a few cans of soup out there and let her blow em up..

Personally, I like to go buy a couple cases of cheap soda from Walmart (the orange ones are easy to see)........shake the cans up real good, set them up at the distance(s) of your choice, and shoot away!!!! Talk about a good time!!! They completely explode when you hit them, it's awesome :mad:;) Then you can go pick up the shredded aluminum cans and recycle! :rofl::up:

Personally, I like to go buy a couple cases of cheap soda from Walmart (the orange ones are easy to see)........shake the cans up real good, set them up at the distance(s) of your choice, and shoot away!!!! Talk about a good time!!! They completely explode when you hit them, it's awesome :mad:;) Then you can go pick up the shredded aluminum cans and recycle! :rofl::up:

You should try quart cans of spaghetti sauce and a .44 magnum. Just bring an umbrella, seems like it rains sauce for about 30 min. :D

Guest atomemphis
bring her to "date night" at RangeUSA....

bbq and guns....ahhhhhhhhhh

That was the 1st place I took her. I feel like its a nice play and the people are 'inviting'.

Next step is out to a farm with the cans o' food and drink. I think I need to take her a couple of more times before I bring up getting a gun that's all hers. I said that one time, and she kind of thought it wouldn't be worthwhile.

find another woman that likes shooting..that way they can go to the range, shoot and have a gabfest. other than that, challenge her :eek: put some targets up downrange, and coach her until she can get 1-10 rounds into the 10 ring..

Good idea... but I would probably modify that to "Find another guy with a wife/girlfriend who enjoys shooting..."

Just finding another woman might get ya' shot (I know it would me...) :popcorn:

Also, try to take an interest in things she considers a hobby. May be you can both find more common interests. I've been to more malls and flea markets than I can count, now...

Good idea... but I would probably modify that to "Find another guy with a wife/girlfriend who enjoys shooting..."

Just finding another woman might get ya' shot (I know it would me...) :popcorn:

Also, try to take an interest in things she considers a hobby. May be you can both find more common interests. I've been to more malls and flea markets than I can count, now...

You know you secretly love it

Guest atomemphis

I definitely do go with her to art galleries and such. Its great that she really gets into hiking, and she enjoyed the time we went shooting, I am just looking for ways that when we DO go, I make sure she gets the most out of it. Maximizing her 'good times' is key, I think.

Guest TNDixieGirl

Just finding another woman might get ya' shot (I know it would me...) :)

HANG ON TO HIM RED!!! He's a keeper. Mine would rather watch bread mold than go to a flea market with me. (I hate malls too so we're cool on that part). :)

Just finding another woman might get ya' shot (I know it would me...) ;)

you too?

*sigh* so I'm NOT alone. still, its time i get to spend with her...

we went to 4 different stores JUST to find a tv!! in the end, I tapped out, went to circuit city and bought the thing.

and socks... how long does it take a woman to buy socks????

pic01599.jpg

• Administrator

Well I have a few free moments this morning and something noteworthy to report... :rolleyes:

As most of my middle TN friends here on TGO know, last year I had the "unfortunate" experience of separating from and divorcing my now ex wife. Congratulations, not condolences, are in order. It just wasn't a workable situation and was one of those things that I now look back upon as a necessary mistake that brought me to where I actually needed to be.

Since then, I've had the tremendous fortune to meet someone who has become my best friend and whom I've fallen in love with and will be marrying soon. She and I finally got a chance to go shooting together this past weekend, so that's why I'm posting this and why that lead-in was necessary.

Sandy's known about my firearms affliction since day one. The friends that introduced us told her that I had a carry permit and that I carry religiously; a fact that was actually comforting to her because of a situation with her own ex-spouse. It made her feel a little more secure.

One of the things that we decided early on was that we needed to go shooting together, but if you've noticed my absence from TGO over the past few months then you understand what I mean when I say that my schedule has been B-U-S-Y. We just hadn't had time to go shooting despite the fact that we've had several offers to join others, etc.

Sandy had shot a handgun once before. Probably a Glock, but she couldn't remember specifically which model or caliber. None the less, after a good introduction to the safety and mechanics of handgun operation, we went to the range this past Saturday night and she got a chance to aquaint herself with a few of my... er, our handguns.

In sequence, she fired:

• Springfield XD 9mm Tactical 5-inch
  • Wilson Combat Professional 1911 .45ACP
  • Heckler & Koch P2000 .40SW SA/DA

She had no problems handling any of them and did great with each of them. The only thing she disliked about the Wilson is the G10 micarta grips and the way they bit into her hands. Some shooting gloves would probably help her a bit there.

Her favorite of the bunch -- Marswolf will love this -- was the HK P2000. She really liked the longer length of pull on it's trigger. She had no problems with the .40SW recoil but I may have to invest in a 9mm P2000 or even P2000SK for her as time passes as she did prefer the snap of the 9mm over the pop of the .40SW.

I am thrilled to report that her shots were all center-of-mass and would have easily gotten her a 100% scoring on the Tennessee HCP shooting test. In fact, many of her groupings at 7yds were sub 2" MOA.

Not bad at all for a first time out with these particular handguns and only her second time out shooting period. And the best part? She wants to go back as often as we can and wants to get her HCP.

:)

you too?

we went to 4 different stores JUST to find a tv!! in the end, I tapped out, went to circuit city and bought the thing.

pic01599.jpg

Now thats just not true!!

Men dont buy pants at the GAP! :D

Futher more men dont go to the Gap.

Come to think of it we dont buy pants that often either :koolaid:

I started going to flea markets and rummage sales with my wife the weekend after she came home with a mint S&W model 10 revolver that she had found for 125.00 one saturday. Of course I wanted to pay her back for showing me where to look for bargains, so I taught her to reload at the kitchen table and even brought her to the range with me. Her favorite pastimes became picking up brass and shooting in that order..It has worked well for 25 years.

Guest db99wj
you too?

pic01599.jpg

Now thats just not true!!

Men dont buy pants at the GAP! :D

Futher more men dont go to the Gap.

Come to think of it we dont buy pants that often either :koolaid:

I agree, we would go to the sears, they have an exterior entrance and levi's. Done.:P

Guest db99wj
What kind of man are you anyways? You mention Sears having exterior entrance and levi's but you say nothing about tools :D

Well, of course, they usually have 2 or 3 entrances, you choose the one where you have to walk by electronics and tools in order to get to the Levi's..:D