• junk gun but i like revolvers
    • who cares as long as it dose it job
    • nothing special, they are simply adequete
    • an excellent concept, but with a few design flaws

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a couple Glocks now and have owned almost every version and cal.except the GAP.They are good guns for the most part but I have yet to hold one that felt right,it is that hump on the back of the grip.Until Gaston gets off his butt and starts making Glocks without that bump I will never really be warm and fuzzy about them.

Guest HexHead
If they weren't any good so many major LEA's wouldn't carry them.

That's the part that gets me riled. Most PD's put out to bid and the lowest bid gets the contract. Often done by the city manager who probably couldn't tell a Glock from his elbow.

Most cops aren't "gun guys", to them the pistol is just another piece of gear on their belt and the one they probably handle the least as well.

It's nonsense to think Glocks must be great because cops use them. A lot of them drive Crown Victorias too. :eek:

Guest jackdog

Who cares what PD's issue or buy either in firearms or ammo. I sure their are a few folks who bought or would buy a glock because some Depts. use them, But I think those folks are in the minority. Besides the thread was about do glocks suck not why folks choose them. Gee lets start a poll that says I own a Glock because I'm a Cop wannabe. Every time the Glock subject is brought up the responses get funnier and funnier.

Who cares what PD's issue or buy either in firearms or ammo. I sure their are a few folks who bought or would buy a glock because some Depts. use them, But I think those folks are in the minority. Besides the thread was about do glocks suck not why folks choose them. Gee lets start a poll that says I own a Glock because I'm a Cop wannabe. Every time the Glock subject is brought up the responses get funnier and funnier.

Jackdog, I really appreciate your input. Sometimes we agree and sometimes we don't, but I think you evaluate the posts you reply too, as do I.

I think there are are a lot of people who buy Glocks because "that's what the cops use." I think that is their primary reason to buy them. We see that admitted frequently. I have to admit that I bought two Glocks because they were recommended by LE friends. It's not an admission of foolishness. It's more a matter of trusting people who were focused on what they carried. In time, I came to view it as people who were unable to differentiate between hype and reality.

I don't think Glocks suck. I think they are weapons for a very limited use.

Real people who use guns for self-protection have to choose from weapons that they, first of all, can afford and then ones that can do the required job. Sometimes that is a H&K and sometimes that is a Hi-Point.

Sometimes it is a Glock. But IMHO, seldom is Glock the best choice,

Guest TN.Frank

Most cops aren't "gun guys", to them the pistol is just another piece of gear on their belt and the one they probably handle the least as well.

That's my point. If a "non gun guy" can make it work and work reliably then it must be a pretty good piece of kit. It takes a real gun guy to get a 1911a1 to work reliably but ANYONE can pretty much make a Glock go "bang" so in my book that makes em' a pretty good gun.

That is how I voted, I consider the Glock to be a reliable fighting gun for not much money. They aren't pretty but they sure don't suck. The really nice thing is if you don't like them you can buy a SIG,S&W MP, XD, or choose from a long list of quality 1911's etc. Choose what suits you, who cares as long as it does the job.

A better supported chamber, particularly in the 40 S&W and a heavier trigger would pretty much fix it. Some people would add better ergonomics. But with a heavier trigger pull and shooting only quality factory ammunition, they do OK.

Mars,

FWIW, I had a second generation Glock 23 (made in Oct. 92) before my current third generation 23 (made in 05), and there is a definite difference in chamber size. Glock seems to have tightened up the chamber along the way, but it remains to be seen if it's enough.

Also, the New York trigger springs add weight if desired (8 or 12 pounds), and take three minutes to put in.

A friend has an M&P 9mm WITHOUT the magazine disconnect, and he says he must dryfire before field stripping.

You DO NOT have to dry fire an M&P to field strip it. You CANNOT field strip an M&P without using the sear deactivation lever. I just confirmed this on my brothers M&P .40 without magazine disconnect.

Where is the sear deactivation lever? I wish I had my friend's gun with me so I could figure out where it is.

It's right under the breechface on the frame, a little bit under and to the side of the ejector when the slide is locked back. It's kinda hard to find, I had to get my brother to show me where it was, and you have to stick something down in there to get to it (like the handy dandy grip poker thingy).

If he's flipping a takedown latch AFTER locking the slide back then that "takedown latch" is the sear deactivation lever. Once that is flipped down, you do not need to dry fire the gun.

Hmmm...haven't thought of that; I assumed he meant some gadget on the outside of the frame. That's why I wish I had the gun in my hands--maybe I could get to the bottom of this.

Is he referring to the takedown latch that is on the outside of the pistol next to the slide lock? This is the lever that he should be flipping down to disassemble the pistol.

MVC-464F.jpg

If that's what he says he does, I guess it is possible to dry fire the pistol while at slide lock, but it's probably better to use the lever.

Guest oldgunnut

I have long believed the Glock is the best combat handgun for the money. Can you buy a more accurate 1911? Yes, but you will pay 2-3 times as much. Can a SIG be more accurate? Yes but again twice the price.

Guest jackdog

Well price does come in to play for many of us, And when you add that to the equation Glocks do become a lot more attractive. But the truth is a handgun is nothing more than a tool. $125, 450. or 3000 it really does not matter if it is dependable and it saves your life.

FWIW, I had a second generation Glock 23 (made in Oct. 92) before my current third generation 23 (made in 05), and there is a definite difference in chamber size.

A friend has an M&P 9mm WITHOUT the magazine disconnect, and he says he must dryfire before field stripping.

We had a topic several months ago when I checked on the G23 chamber size and I found out that they had improved it. But in the M&P, the chamber has just about full support for the cartridge. I think I posted some pictures.

Now, I may be wrong, but I think the M&P is made either with or without the takedown latch. I may be completely incorrect on that. I'd like to see Tungsten or other current or former M&P owners chime in. I know that when I looked at some M&Ps, I didn't see that latch. May have just been looking in the wrong place.

Edited by Marswolf
We had a topic several months ago when I checked on the G23 chamber size and I found out that they had improved it. But in the M&P, the chamber has just about full support for the cartridge. I think I posted some pictures.

Now, I may be wrong, but I think the M&P is made either with or without the takedown latch. I may be completely incorrect on that. I'd like to see Tungsten or other current or former M&P owners chime in. I know that when I looked at some M&Ps, I didn't see that latch. May have just been looking in the wrong place.

The M&P might have greater chamber coverage of the case than Glock, but the one I used to own was throated so large that the cases would expand dramatically... moreso than I've seen any other gun do to .357sig anyways, even Glock brass. I think that's a problem, albeit a slightly different one than insufficient case support in a specific area.

Guest Centennial

I have long considered the Glock to be a viable alternative to a defensive handgun.:lol:

Seriously, Glocks work well, are reasonably affordable, and are tough as nails. Many other handguns make a poorer choice for most shooters.