• junk gun but i like revolvers
    • who cares as long as it dose it job
    • nothing special, they are simply adequete
    • an excellent concept, but with a few design flaws

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to be honest, I don't think I'm qualified yet to vote on that. I carry a G21SF and so far I really like it. I've only put a few hundred rounds through it, it's never malfunctioned and is decently accurate. Probably more accurate than I'm capable of shooting it but I'm seriously out of practice. I got it because I like .45ACP, it's reputation for reliability and toughness, and 13 round capacity.

That being said I also sometimes carry my SP101 5 shot .357 when I dress light and still feel protected well enough.

Guest canynracer
They're fine, if that's your thing. I have the same interest in glocks as I do the hot new vegetarian restaurant that opened around the corner. I'm sure some people will love it, but it's just not for me.

rofl.gif

Guest slow ride

:) I've been drinking the Kool-aid for awhile now, and wouldn't have it any other way. IMO Glock makes the best service handgun ever.

I like XDs o.k., I've owned 1911s,a Sig, a revolver, M&P45 etc.......... none come close to my Glocks. Only handguns I've ever owned that have been 100% reliable.

Not putting down other brands, just stating my opinion, and my support for Austrian plastic!

Ok, I voted best gun out there, but I only feel that it is the best gun out there FOR MY PURPOSES. It may be a lousy weapon for others--different strokes for different folks. I simply have not found anything else that outperforms a Glock as a CCW first, and an IDPA gun second, and I've tried pretty much everything. I don't have a Gaston statue that I bow to, and I don't preach to everybody that Glocks are what they need and everything else sucks, but they suit my purposes better than anything else currently made. If you're very casual about concealed carry training and practice, then they probably aren't for you. They should only be carried by those who are very conscious of their trigger finger and use a sturdy holster, but so should (IMO) an M&P, Kahr, XD, 1911, etc. I don't understand why so many claim that it's so easy to shoot one's self with a Glock, but think an M&P or an XD is perfectly safe. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME THING! Yeah, yeah, an XD has a grip safety, but as soon as you touch the gun, that goes out the window. I witnessed an XD negligent discharge this weekend, but I haven't posted that everyone should throw away their XDs.

If someone states a negative opinion about a Glock, hey, it's a free country. On the other hand, when certain members of this forum post their OPINIONS, but arrogantly expect everyone to regard them as FACT, I am often provoked.

Guest tjbert47

I carry a glock 27 daily. Mostly because it always goes bang when I pull the trigger and it didn't cost as much as my 1911s. It's a tool not jewelry.

Tom in TN

Guest Shooting Coach

I use a Glock G-17 exclusively for defensive training. They are about the easiest sidearm to clear when a stoppage is induced. Even an induced double feed can be reduced in under five seconds with minimum practice.

At a Law Enforcement Reduced Light Shooting Techniques Instructor class I took last spring, 11 shooters ran over 1000 rounds each through their Glocks with not one stoppage, other than those induced for training purposes.

For Armed Professionals it is a wise decision, and for the Armed Citizen desiring to carry an auto, with Glock specific training, it is hard to beat. No bells or whistles, no decockers or external safeties to forget in the heat of battle. Even the subcompacts hold enough ammo to be victorious in a lethal confrontation with multiple attackers.

If one lacks training and discipline to keep finger out of trigger guard until ready to shoot, ANY sidearm will be a liability. For those willing to train and learn the Glock, it is at the top of the heap. It is supremely reliable, and has a very short learning curve.

My primary carry gun is a G19. Solid, reliable, fits me well, does what it is supposed to do and does not do what it is not supposed to do. About the easiest semi-auto to field-strip as well. And pretty easy to work on. Stone-cold simple. A useful tool.

Guest jackdog

Best gun for me at the present time. Never had a glock not fire never had a stoppage. Know what and where my trigger finger is at all times, so that for me is not an issue.

Price point is in the Ok range. I don't want all the fancy feel safe crap on my firearm.

Hey i want to draw point and kill the target as quickly as possible, thats the only reason I carry to begin with. Are they for everyone H%^l no and that includes a bunch of LEo's out there.

I have had a 27 for some time now and love it! Just today I got a 23 and I am sure I will love it as well.

K.I.S.S.

The glock is just so easy to use and most folks hardly ever have any issues out of them. Carry them in a good holster and learn firearm safety and they will do their job for you...

guns are like cars. and everyone has an opinion on what model and make they like to drive/shoot. i carry one daily, and yes they have a few minor design flaws, but then again so do cars. if you have one and dont like it, trade it in for another model. if you have one and you love it, then by god, bling it up for all to see.

The poll leans from great to bad with no middle. I think my G19 is a really good gun.

My P220 is a great gun.

That is why I didn't vote either... I think it might have been

better if we had a 1-10 Scale to vote on.

I consider them about an "8" or "9".

did I miss it, who voted for "They Suck"

Mars you lurking out here ? Only voting and not posting? LMAO

:eek:

Nope, wasn't me. I just found this topic. I voted "an excellent concept, but with a few design flaws."

I pretty much go along with Eddie in http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=67711&postcount=21

I've always said they are an adequate duty handgun. They got some things right in my opinion in having a gun with very reliable feed and extraction and not having a manual safety to be concerned with.

The flaws have been covered pretty well on other boards, notably at http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/gindex2.html.

A better supported chamber, particularly in the 40 S&W and a heavier trigger would pretty much fix it. Some people would add better ergonomics. But with a heavier trigger pull and shooting only quality factory ammunition, they do OK.

I still see other handguns as better for carry, either professional LE carry or public self-protection carry. But those other guns generally cost a bit more.

Some of the problems have been addressed by the XD and M&P series of pistols. But all striker pistols I can think of have the issue of having to dry fire before takedown. The NDs seem to mostly happen during field stripping. It's too easy to get sloppy mentally and forget to clear the chamber before pulling the trigger. I saw that happen once with an XD. Fortunately the handgun was pointed in a safe direction. And the guy who made the ND was a seasoned professional who had carried for years.I suspect that problem could be fixed and I'm a bit disappointed that the M&P series didn't correct this.

Gaston Glock took a questionable polymer design by H&K, made improvements and produced a usable handgun. In my view, it isn't a horrible gun by any means, but it also isn't a great gun. It's adequate and with a little work is "safe enough." But from what I've seen, other guns in the market are just as reliable and are safer. I think that makes them a better gun.

Some of the problems have been addressed by the XD and M&P series of pistols. But all striker pistols I can think of have the issue of having to dry fire before takedown. The NDs seem to mostly happen during field stripping. It's too easy to get sloppy mentally and forget to clear the chamber before pulling the trigger. I saw that happen once with an XD. Fortunately the handgun was pointed in a safe direction. And the guy who made the ND was a seasoned professional who had carried for years.I suspect that problem could be fixed and I'm a bit disappointed that the M&P series didn't correct this.

I can only confirm this on the fullsize M&P9mm, but you do not have to dry fire before takedown. Instead of dry firing there is a sear deactivation lever that you flip down. I think all M&P's are like this, but like I said all I can confirm is the 9mm.

I can only confirm this on the fullsize M&P9mm, but you do not have to dry fire before takedown. Instead of dry firing there is a sear deactivation lever that you flip down. I think all M&P's are like this, but like I said all I can confirm is the 9mm.

I thought that was only on some models. I don't know for sure. But as I recall, you have to move the slide back to get to the lever. But also as I recall, you can field strip the gun by dry firing and not using the lever. Am I wrong? I suspect most people will just do the latter. It seems to me that they do have a combination with the lever and also a magazine lockout that prevents firing with the magazine out of the handgun. I would think that would solve the problem as long as you don't just guess that the magazine and chamber are empty and fire.

The XD and M&P are different that a Glock, in that their slides must be fully rectracted in order to activate the take-down lever... The Glock's slide can be removed without being forced to see the empty chamber. All M&Ps have a sear-deactivation lever which allows disassembly without pulling the trigger... which is required of both the Glock and XD.

Not all models have the magazine disconnect. Mine does, but I know that's not a popular feature with some folks.

molonlabetn is correct. The slide has to be locked back before you can access the take down lever. Pulling the trigger will not work.