Any old school skaters out there?

Back in 80's and early 90's, the heyday of sk8ing? I'm too old and don't heal as fast now. Hung it up a looong time ago and took up a safer hobby, shooting things with guns.:shrug:

I remember High Rollers on charlotte ave. I met Christian Hosoi, Tony Hawk, Ray Underhill, and many many more.

I still have two Ray underhill decks. One in real great shape, assembled and lightly used, the other is brand new, never taped or assembled and signed by Ray. Sad day when Ray passed away. I ought to get them out and sell 'em.

Just curious how many early 30 yr olds here was "thrashin" the same time. I was mostly a vert man, street was never my thing.

Anyone?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you said old school, I thought you meant old school. I remember taking old style roller skates, a board and some screws to make a skate board. Now that's old school!

No, that's before academia was organized into "schools" :shrug:

• Admin Team

I never skated as a kid, but my wife bought me a caster board about 6 months ago. My first though was that she was trying to collect my insurance money. But, after trying it, I'm hooked. Cruising on this board is a ton of fun. It feels like you're on a surfboard, but turns like a snowboard.

I'm looking at picking up a good longboard when the right deal comes along.

My brother was a big skater in the 80's and 90's. We had built a 1/4 pipe in the driveway. There were several 1/2 pipes around Nashville he skated at. There was one in Rivergatge. Ronnie Milsap had one built for his son. I think there was one off of Tyne Blvd as well.

He and several of his buddies rented some warehouse space in Franklin and built their own indoor skating area. I never got into it but he loves it. He still goes to Atlanta to watch competitions every year.

i use to ride the roller drome bus from goodlettsville to the roller drome every week the roller drome was on thompson lane at the underpass

and yes i made my scate board out of a scate ans a 2x8 old school style

Guest db99wj
I liked the BMX/Bike scene a little more than skating, but I did both. RAD was THE movie back then and all I could think of was doing a backflip! :)

This. I still have a GHP race bike. Anybody remember this limited run bike?

Guest mosinon

man I need Vans. I remember the days of really wide trucks, super soft wheels for the street and really hard wheels for the ramps. Back in the day they sold all kinds on stuff to screw into you deck to protect it from damage. Cause those were freaking expensive. Some hippies (really cool guys) built a half pipe in their yard which was right behind my house. WE asked them if we could skate there and they said no because we might break a leg or something. Then they said they were gone from 12-9 on weekdays and they wouldn't be able to stop us if we skated then. Until you posted this I didn't realize what they were actually saying, I thought we were getting away with something.

Even though I did spend a lot of time skating, and did break a leg (at another half pipe) I still sucked at it. Hadn't thought about for years. Those are actually pretty good memories.

Man I can still remember my first real board. Not the variflex crap my parents tried to pass off on me, but the first REAL board. I bought it at the Sunshine House in Bellevue Mall. There was as super cool guy that worked there named Noah and he helped me pick out my set up. Dad took me there for christmas and said get the best they got cause I ain't coming back! It was a Blind Danny Way with Independent trucks and Powell risers held on with Bridgebolts, Some matching Yellow rails held on with Powell Rat Nutz, and the crowning Jewel was a set of New Deal Turbines and swiss bearings. It was SICK fast. The turbines for anyone that don't remember was the first marketed urethane wheel with a metal center. They were like a hundred bucks by themselves! My old man had a mini stroke that night. Noah even gave another set of wheels for half price to skate on the street with so I wouldn't chew up my turbines. They were New Deal Nude Eels. Noah also gave me a G&S bracelet and an elephant wrench for christmas. That guy was AWESOME!

Man, I'm flashing back a looong way. Bullet 66, Santa Cruz Vomit, Bones Brigade and my hair covering my right eye.

Edited by Caster

I skated from 7th grade to 10th grade. I pretty much gave it up once I got into high school and started working. I remember my first board. I had a Powell Peralta Steve Caballero with a set of Tracker trucks and Powell Bones wheels. I always thought the dragon design of the Caballero boards was the coolest thing.

I did almost all street skating, and I was never really all that good at that. It was fun while it lasted.

I had a first series Cab once, the concave was non existent so I just hung it on my bedroom wall. I can't remember if Cab ever came to nashville, I wanna say I've met him, but I can't swear to it. I remember Lance Mountain was with large group of pro's once but I've hit my head a few times since then.

My board is on the back porch. I broke my last label one and just have a blank. I am disregarding the time in the 80s with the peanut boards just because that was only around my street when I was in elementary school.

I rode only street. I skated from about 1993 until I joined the army in 2001. When I got up to Ft. Campbell they had a brand new all cement skate park. I went out there one of my first days up there. I fell within minutes and realized that I wasnt a kid anymore and had people depending on me to do a job and it was probably best not to knock myself out or break something. Plus I would get scared unlike when I was growing up. I sprained both ankles countless times before and broke an arm early on but it just wasnt the same after I left Ft. Benning, I couldnt shake the feeling I would get really hurt. I did skate Manhattan in 2000 for two weeks and that was probably the most fun I had growing up. It was three of us and we just went wherever whenever and did whatever we wanted.

When you said old school, I thought you meant old school. I remember taking old style roller skates, a board and some screws to make a skate board. Now that's old school!

We used a Fiat 1500 sedan... tie the steeringwheel ,climb on top, walk fron side to side so our weight made it turn. 3AM...bars closed, no traffic...although there was a stop sign at the bottom...oh! forgot...5th of Cutty Sark. My childhood is something I'm amazed at.

sk8rdie man.

Those were the good 'ole days. We also had various ramps in various places and one guy had a half-pipe in his back yard. I'll never forget the first time I got air on the pipe and didn't crash. We'd skate all over several adjacent subdivisions and routinely be gone morning 'till night. All we wore was knee pads, I can't figure out how one of us didn't get killed. I think my old board is still at my parents' house. Dad uses it to move big stuff around.

Guest mustangdave

I'm with Caster here...OLD SCHOOL "sk8ing"....try 60's and 70's...sidewalk surfin'....and empty pools....before POLY wheels and sealed bearings....LOL...oh and pads and helmets too

Yep thats my era

Better not hit a small gravel on the street with the old metal wheels

Oh God I had a Nash with hard plastic wheels. There was ZERO traction. You would flat out bust your ars on that thing! I remember after a few years and much improvement; Getting it out and goofing around, I could power slide that thing for miles. No, literally I could slide a good dozen yards though. Didn't take long until the board was unrideable. The flat spots on the wheels were so large, it wouldn't roll. Dad would fix it on the belt sander if he got bored, but I'd just do it again.

God bless the man who gave us the urethane wheel!

Guest raflomo
I liked the BMX/Bike scene a little more than skating, but I did both. RAD was THE movie back then and all I could think of was doing a backflip! :P

you race?